Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting to shop for raw food "supplies" - scales, containers, supplements, and maybe small freezer to put in the garage. My counter-depth fridge is barely large enough for keeping booze cold... Next steps would be to work out a solid "menu" for the next month and load up on meat. I am thinking of starting with chicken as it is easy to digest, easy to obtain and it is fairly cheap, but 2 things that I really worry about is providing appropriate vitamins and portion size.

So, supplement-wise, 3 things that were recommended to me are:

http://peterdobias.com/community/products/soul-food/
http://peterdobias.com/community/products/greenmin-2/
http://peterdobias.com/community/products/wholemega-1000-120-capsules/ (Available on Amazon for $10 less)

These 3 things claim to provide everything the dog needs, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything.

I am also having trouble calculating portion sizes. I've been reading 2-3% of adult weight or 10% of current puppy weight, but these numbers are ridiculously different.

As far as resources, I am knee deep in research at the moment. Currently reading "Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs" by Lew Olson.
http://www.amazon.com/Raw-Natural-Nutrition-Dogs-Definitive/dp/1556439032

Getting Stated guide on PreyModelRaw.com
http://preymodelraw.com/page/articles.html/_/raw-chat/how-to-get-started-feeding-a-prey-model-raw-diet-r19

A pretty good webinar by Dr Peter Dobias:
https://ddhs.adobeconnect.com/_a1004143501/p8eei741bbs/?launcher=false&fcsContent=true&pbMode=normal

Dr Becker Videos on YouTube
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC05rmPFOxaUfWAWgJ0P-d-w

Can you point me to any other information that could be usable?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Good job mate

more time served better choices better mates

and Hate cannot change results

supplements going in 1 great pure fish oil in the mix krill a great one as well ;)

pre and pro biotics ;)

a great green and great digestive enzyme ;)

all fats , proteins sugars and carb's used and keep the blood sugars stable throughout your days or passions

I use 1 kibble as well the last in the mix to Greatness

and my staple is fresh king and coho salmon earning foods from nature provide so much more

fresh free grazing ducks, chickens, **** birds and turkey meat

elk, moose, buffalo and venison'

beef all of it a distant last

sweet tators, some fresh tuna wild caught

papaya and the better then great Flax seed cold pressed milled only

many vegtables and some fiburs yogurt

I don't drink Warriors make very poor drunks :)but my lady drinks for both of us it seems. ::)

I use big zip lock freezer bags date it all keep it fresh and pure.

and to the haters I use Kibble as well

why?

once you use warm waters on it in the mix it acts like a mop and sucks it all up for you

Reds deserve time served

hate will never make you great sharing risking could

BigPappapump loves your choice

Freedom is a lifestyle never a sheep processed bag of little or nothing but poor marketing skills

thrills all come from the heart

any help or support feel free :)

this is a very light weight vid supporting both sides of the ditch :D

kibble and raw

http://youtu.be/MuXlKVXPr4k

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Darcy gets a couple of raw chopped turkey necks for her supper each night, they are really good for her teeth ;D, and she loves them. :-*other than that its dry Burns and a few milk gravy bones and lot's of cuddles.. ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
My biggest piece of advice is to start making local connections. Often times there are fabulous raw options available that would not be obvious to you unless you speak with local butchers or other raw feeders.

If there is a local raw food co-op nearby, that is your best bet. Again, start speaking with others as many co-ops have no need to advertise. Mine is just a small group of friends.

We got an upright freezer from Craig's List about 7 years ago and it's held up well. I'd go this route again if we ever were to need another.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Raw foods and supplements :)

real life age 50"

Hogans a cupcakes Tyson still fears me

if the example not the key hole

you have no real information

The Freak Twin Peaks

and Miller Beer made me post with one

clean is mean tight is right

Seasoned beef just right ;D

Lets dance :eek:

match the hatch

words mean little or nothing

67 x31 a tad shy of 265 :)

real life is so much more fun

natural and nature add never take

thank lord Data the man who can ;D knew how to use the steel ice and endswell

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
This is a hobby, quite nutritional so I have to use with care.

Home made supplements, frozen blended chicken with cooked veggies all mixed up and served over a little premium kibble .... order up! :)

Weird, or what?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Reds :)

A choice not a chance ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
datacan said:
This is a hobby, quite nutritional so I have to use with care.

Home made supplements, frozen blended chicken with cooked veggies all mixed up and served over a little premium kibble .... order up! :)

Weird, or what?
Not weird; looks like a great idea! Do you have a recipe you can share? I always like to see what's working for others and to get some new ideas to mix things up once in awhile (pun intended). ;)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I'll get back to you with the ingredients, but basically it is cooked veggies and a cooked, deboned, whole chicken, all blended and placed in the freezer on a baking tray and cut into squares before fully frozen.

·
Registered
73 Posts
We use all raw and mince our own mixes with different offal for change in flavour.

Also have meals of tripe, fish and steak mince every week.

Supplemented with cod liver oil, krill oil, flax oil & coconut oil. We also give a multi vit, and a probiotic.

No kibble is used at all.

Hegy loves it all and is looking good at just under a year old now.

Pig spines with spinal cord still in are awesome.

Best of luck!

:D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Good stuff, there's the veggies except mine are cooked...
something about nutrients being activated upon cooking (applies to some veggies only) :)

Live the parsley, great for breath control :D

Great thread, should be stickied, LOL.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
What we did.... inspired by Rudy's vid..,

Cooked in water: Pumpkin, broccoli, carrots, carrot, sweet potato, cabbage cooked until soft
Steamed and added later: green pepper, parsley.
All placed in blender.

Separately cooked a whole chicken, some pork and beef... Deboned the chicken and blended the meat, as well.

All mixed (veggies and meat), spread on a baking plate and placed in freezer.

Works out to 60% meat, rest is veggies. We intend to add this mix to kibble along with a little freshly shredded apple, maybe some banana and one or two slices of orange (if the dog likes).

We cannot use the blender to blend raw meat, for obvious reasons..

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
As far as Raw meat we do feed raw chicken
From this morning...

When we feed raw, don't feed kibble for the next 6 - 8 hours.
We were suggested by a vet to feed raw meat about 2 or 3 times a week.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Data flick the switch!! 8)

Just go raw - u know its right!!

Why use kibble n why cook things? ;D

U & Rudy r half way there..just go the extra mile!!

Or are u afraid you'll need to pull out the pink marigolds one too many times!! LOL!!

:eek: ??? 8)

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
Kevin the Magnificient 8) awesome raw fed dog :)

;D got the best of both worlds with and without fire. Here's the dilemma, since they invented fire, why not use it, eh?

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
It's what ever u r comfortable with data. :)

If your v can eat those chicken drummers, bones n all I would say that anything raw would be fine - that's me though.

Anyway, it was only a few month ago u were saying v's should not eat raw food at all. So, big steps forward mate. :-[ ::) ;)

Cooked meats r not as good as raw IMHO - it's all about assimilation. Cooked veg, the jury is still out for me - still reading up on it ;D

End of the day we all try our best with feedin and I take my hat off to all who do!! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
But, I always fed small amounts of raw ground meat. Ever since the boy was able to digest it.
Probably by around five months.

Used them as obedience treats, thought of raw as best, healthiest and quite honestly, most effective.

The boy would do anything without any physical enforcement.
Later, I used raw to introduce physical enforcement, as the reward was much bigger than the punishment (kept his tail up all the time).

The problem is not everybody can handle Raw food. In some cases the risks outweigh the benefits. While healthy dogs don't have problems, young kids, older family members may. Salmonella is no fun as it can infect the grass where the dog pooped even carpet if the dog wipes it's bum on it.
We had a cat that used to love to wipe he's bum on the bed sheets after the litter box.

Anyway, with proper care, raw is good for the dog. :)

http://rawfeddogs.org/[/color]

Attachments

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Data the man who can :D

and Kevin the Butter finger some fun ;D

My push was for a group without any risks to improve kibble not copy and paste dribble ;)

and all my proteins were slow cooked and all my supplements balanced and easy missing nothing but a good left hand ;)

stable blood sugars throughout the day

all fats, carb's sugars and Proteins all used not poo poo away ;)

The average cat will not even risk pure raw

why Time served ;)

risks of balances storing options disease even food borne infections

most who think they won a 42 hour flu nope you did earn food borne

tummy and core food poison happens far too often facts ;)

and I have supported over 7 pointers

all raw foods ;)

The Gift is this

once the Mix is done

adding oils, flax seeds , omegas and much more

pre and pro boitics, greens and digestive enzymes

then using a very high end kibble the water opens the kibble up like a mop taking it all in

and missing nothing

the Mates consume it all

and zero bugs or risks ;)

the keys are Salmon in truck loads Buffalo, Elk, Moose, Duck free grazer chickens, turkeys, greens veggies and fruits no roids no BS

Beef is a proven clogger ::) and loaded with bad fats ask your Cardio centers ;)

the above are not.

there are no diets

There are Lifestyle choices ;)

and my game lets see the one who earning there food groups

shirts off lets compare the cooks abilities care and pride

and compare the options

aged 103 the freak they all take a peek lol ;D

not the fog me blogs and copy and pasters ::)

Your up first :D

I will clear the bench and make em scream the Freak twin Peaks

LMAO

and do not bore me

the candy man

Can"

The reason its slow cooked little is lost

and zero risks for bugs ;)

and the kibble is opened and sucks it all up

Kids are so much fun ;D

Do not fear

Hate feed them options

Popular is very over rated and very few risks

be right or even close and make it far easier

even on Jenn ;) ;D

Or just let the reds flex some we feed the needs

the candy man ;D

Can :D

Attachments

·
Administrator
4,181 Posts
Rudy, any chance of posting a sample daily menu? recipes, par-cooking times etc? the more I look at pre-made food the more I find myself grimacing. I want my girl to have an un-processed diet that ain't gonna cost the earth but is gonna give her all she needs + some ;)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts