Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I've fed quail and chukar (type of partridge) whole, but plucked/skinned so as not to confuse her when out in the field. Just watch that he leaves the intestines. Anything bigger, I'd probably gut.

I think this about the only time someone leaving a dead animal on your doorstep is a sign of good will. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Bringing up an old thread as wondered if someone could be kind enough to give me some examples of meals over a week or perhaps just one or two days to give me an idea. I have access to pretty much all of the raw foods required and have an idea about the ratios but I’m puzzled about the muscle meat which accounts for fat and other essential nutrients. If I purchase muscle meat such as beef or pork with or without fat, what and how do I add in the other essentials?

A couple of example days should get me started which I can just repeat for a week or so before adding in other varieties.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Perfectly Rawsome, Raw Feeding Resource for Raw Feeders should answer most of your questions and has a few sample meals.

In short though, the idea is to achieve balance over time by feeding a variety of foods. The exact caloric, vitamin, and mineral content will vary if 80% of your dog's food is a fatty cut of beef one day and lean rabbit the next, but as long as you rotate through different proteins your dog will get the essentials. However, some supplement with a multivitamin to cover any gaps in nutrition.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Perfectly Rawsome, Raw Feeding Resource for Raw Feeders should answer most of your questions and has a few sample meals.

In short though, the idea is to achieve balance over time by feeding a variety of foods. The exact caloric, vitamin, and mineral content will vary if 80% of your dog's food is a fatty cut of beef one day and lean rabbit the next, but as long as you rotate through different proteins your dog will get the essentials. However, some supplement with a multivitamin to cover any gaps in nutrition.
Thank you.

Can you confirm that the following example meal would be:

1. split into 3 meals in a day

2. And would it be ok to do this one week and then maybe replace the cuts to different meats and heart?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thank you.

2. And would it be ok to do this one week and then maybe replace the cuts to different meats and heart?

I would obviously work out the actual measurements as I believe this is for a 6 month old.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts

The total amount of food for that recipe works out to be 512g. If we call that 500g even, then it's the appropriate amount for a 5kg puppy fed at 10% of it's weight for the day. A Vizsla puppy might be 5kg from 8-10 weeks or so. You would then split that 500g across 3 meals, yes.

Eventually, yes, that's exactly what you would do. With puppies it's smart to slowly introduce new proteins to see how they handle it. Does it upset their stomach? Are they allergic? And so on. You might start out only feeding chicken muscle, organs, and bone for a couple weeks and then add in a little beef for another couple weeks until you're feeding a large variety.

Does that make sense?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, many thanks. Sorry for the delay.

How can I adjust the figures in the picture to fit any type of requirement? This is based on 1000 kcal at 500g. I’d like to replicate this diet to adjust each item amount e.g. turkey neck is 170g here but how to workout for any size?
Can you tell me the percentages for each item?

Attachments

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am certainly not confident and need support. Is there anyone who I can contact to have a more in-depth discussion?

I would also appreciate dry food alternatives which come as close as possible to feeding raw.
Best wishes

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
The Perfectly Rawsome prey model puppy recipes are based on the following percentages:
69% muscle meat
17% bone
7% liver
7% other secreting organs

You'll note this differs from the 80/10/5/5 ratios most often recommended as they state that these better support the nutritional needs of growing puppies. When I started, the advice for puppies was to follow the same ratios as for adults and I feel that my dog developed just fine. So while I feel that PR is a good resource for learning about raw, it may needlessly complicate things for you.

Back to the recipe you posted... let's break down how it fits into those percentages and how to scale it.

170g turkey neck
94g venison (deer)
90g beef tripe
35g beef spleen
19g beef liver
35g mackerel
19g oysters
50g pork fat

We'll ignore the supplements as those won't factor into the ratios.

So in total we have 512g of food. We would then expect to see the following weights:
353g muscle meat (512 x .69)
87g bone (512 x .17)
35g liver (512 x .07)
35g other organ (512 x .07)

The muscle meat would include the meat of the turkey neck, the venison, tripe, mackerel, oysters, and pork fat. PR provides a chart with bone percentages for some raw meaty bones here. Consulting that we see that turkey necks have roughly 45% bone and 55% meat. So to get the muscle meat content we can multiply 170 by .55 to get 93.5g muscle and the remainder, 76.5g bone.

The total muscle meat content then is 381.5g which works out to 74.5%

The only bone is from the turkey neck, again 76.5g or 14.9%

The liver is 19g or 3.7%

The other organ, in this case spleen is 35g or 6.8%

As you can see it doesn't quite match up the target percentages, but I believe that's because for this recipe they prioritized meeting the NRC nutritional requirements over the percentages. If instead you wanted to match up with the percentages you could feed a little less muscle meat and a little more liver.

Okay, so now let's say your puppy is growing and now needs more than 512g of food. It's just a matter of multiplying the total weight for the day by all the percentages to get the individual amounts. If your puppy now needs 750g of food a day the, 69% of that or 517.5g of that would come from muscle meat and so forth.*

I'm certainly happy to continue helping you, but for additional resources I'd suggest googling for raw feeding forums. I haven't had an account in a few years, but if you're on facebook there used to be a group called something like Raw Fed Vizslas.

*I'll come back later and address a bit more about bone

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for such a detailed reply.
Can I just ask if any of the following dry foods are a safe alternative if I am overwhelmed with going raw?

Any high quality dry food you know would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have heard of all those brands, but don't have personal experience. You could read up on them at dogfoodadvisor.com. In the US, grain-free kibbles that contain potatoes and legumes like garbanzo beans/chickpeas, peas, and lentils have been linked to a heart issue called dilated cardiomyopathy. Lots of dogs have been eating those ingredients for years without issue, but I wanted to mention it so you can do your own research. My choice for a dry food alternative is Ziwi Peak's air dried food.

Back to raw–I want to be clear that I don't actually weigh my dog's food out every day to make sure it exactly aligns with the ratios. I eyeball it and I pay attention to her feces. If it's too loose she needs more bone and if it's too chalky I'll reduce or skip the bone at her next meal. It's simpler than it seems once you get a feel for it and not all that different from how we feed ourselves. No shame if it's not for you though!

21 - 31 of 31 Posts