Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
I've fed quail and chukar (type of partridge) whole, but plucked/skinned so as not to confuse her when out in the field. Just watch that he leaves the intestines. Anything bigger, I'd probably gut.

I think this about the only time someone leaving a dead animal on your doorstep is a sign of good will. :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Bringing up an old thread as wondered if someone could be kind enough to give me some examples of meals over a week or perhaps just one or two days to give me an idea. I have access to pretty much all of the raw foods required and have an idea about the ratios but I’m puzzled about the muscle meat which accounts for fat and other essential nutrients. If I purchase muscle meat such as beef or pork with or without fat, what and how do I add in the other essentials?

A couple of example days should get me started which I can just repeat for a week or so before adding in other varieties.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Perfectly Rawsome, Raw Feeding Resource for Raw Feeders should answer most of your questions and has a few sample meals.

In short though, the idea is to achieve balance over time by feeding a variety of foods. The exact caloric, vitamin, and mineral content will vary if 80% of your dog's food is a fatty cut of beef one day and lean rabbit the next, but as long as you rotate through different proteins your dog will get the essentials. However, some supplement with a multivitamin to cover any gaps in nutrition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perfectly Rawsome, Raw Feeding Resource for Raw Feeders should answer most of your questions and has a few sample meals.

In short though, the idea is to achieve balance over time by feeding a variety of foods. The exact caloric, vitamin, and mineral content will vary if 80% of your dog's food is a fatty cut of beef one day and lean rabbit the next, but as long as you rotate through different proteins your dog will get the essentials. However, some supplement with a multivitamin to cover any gaps in nutrition.
Thank you.

Can you confirm that the following example meal would be:

1. split into 3 meals in a day

2. And would it be ok to do this one week and then maybe replace the cuts to different meats and heart?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you.

2. And would it be ok to do this one week and then maybe replace the cuts to different meats and heart?

I would obviously work out the actual measurements as I believe this is for a 6 month old.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts

The total amount of food for that recipe works out to be 512g. If we call that 500g even, then it's the appropriate amount for a 5kg puppy fed at 10% of it's weight for the day. A Vizsla puppy might be 5kg from 8-10 weeks or so. You would then split that 500g across 3 meals, yes.

Eventually, yes, that's exactly what you would do. With puppies it's smart to slowly introduce new proteins to see how they handle it. Does it upset their stomach? Are they allergic? And so on. You might start out only feeding chicken muscle, organs, and bone for a couple weeks and then add in a little beef for another couple weeks until you're feeding a large variety.

Does that make sense?

21 - 26 of 26 Posts