Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dog has been shuffled off to my parents house for a week because we are having reno's done. I feel a little guilty saying I am happy to be rid of him for the week and get a break from him. Sometimes he is just way too much work, especially when the weather has been total crap, which it has been.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Ha - going through the same thing with Ruby and bringing her to doggie daycare. We are starting a bathroom renov and started taking her a week before it started to see how she did. The first day I was in such a great mood all day when she was gone and felt guilty. I think we are not starting the renov til next week and I am still taking her to daycare still...lol.

My husband and I went out of town for the weekend just to get away from her. We needed a break and enjoyed every moment of it. We were so happy to have her back home again too. They are such a demanding breed especially when the weather is bad.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Boy, you said it! Emotionally demanding... Can't get enough human attention! They do settle down a little bit, but the demanding part never really goes away completely. The Vizsla gives new meaning to the phrase "companion animal"!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Oh yes , my little girl cabela is starting to come into her own. She is 12 weeks and the massive change in confidence, curiosity and above all energy is tremendous ! I'm pretty sure she has A.D.D! Not to mention testing me on every command and I'm pretty sure she knows what she's doing! I'm also pretty sure mine also thinks she's a cat. During car rides she climbs behind my back and up around my shoulders.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hello!
Please do not feel guilty. You are not alone. My parents had renovations done a year and a half ago and I am scared that Granger will tear things up (even though he hasn't except for one chewed corner of a coffee table) Granger is new 6 months and at times he does get too much. He sometimes stays at my girlfriend's house when I have consecutive 12 hour shifts at work. But I do miss him when he's not at home. Although he may have ADD and selective attention, somehow he brings joy to me. Just hang in there! and take breaks! don't be afraid to crate them for a couple hours to take some time for yourself! Your Vizsla is very, very fortunate to have owners like you that want to give their all.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Scout comes home tonight. My kids are excited. Me not so much. I like him, but holy heck he's a lot of work, and I have no desire to start waking up at 5:30 am again, which is when his wake up call usually happens. :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
UGH, I now know what you all mean. Abby is my first Vizsla and will be 12 weeks on Friday. She normally does really well playing alone and keeping herself occupied (with a bone or toy) for at least 10-15 minutes at a time, until today when I was telling my fiance' bye outside and left her in the living room alone (in my defense she was chewing on her bone and seemed she'd be okay for a few minutes). When I came inside, seiously 10 minutes later, she had eaten the corner off of my vinyl ottoman :-\ and pulled every single one of her toys out of her little toy box and dragged them all around the living room. :eek: Glad to know I'm not the only one with an ADD Vizsla!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
"They chew 'til they're two!"

I remember years ago fixing a nice sandwich for hubby's lunch and dashing out into the yard to tell him his lunch was ready. Of course, I made the mistake of setting the plate on a low table. Came back in (right away) and all that was left was one piece of iceberg lettuce. I felt like such a dope! I knew better. HA, HA! You have to remind yourself that you are supposed to be (at least in theory) smarter than the dog.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I'd add another random thing, that doesn't really requiire its own thread.

My puppy is all grown up (well sort of). He's 11 months old and has now managed to be uncrated while we go out running errands and what not, the last three days. He has not gotten into anything, not wrecked anything, heck he hasn't even hung out lounging on the couch, he's gone up to his crate and sat in it.

I'm so proud of my little Scout.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Oh, what a GOOD BOY!! ;D Makes you proud, doesn't it?

·
Administrator
4,216 Posts
RubyRoo said:
Ha - going through the same thing with Ruby and bringing her to doggie daycare. We are starting a bathroom renov and started taking her a week before it started to see how she did. The first day I was in such a great mood all day when she was gone and felt guilty. I think we are not starting the renov til next week and I am still taking her to daycare still...lol.

My husband and I went out of town for the weekend just to get away from her. We needed a break and enjoyed every moment of it. We were so happy to have her back home again too. They are such a demanding breed especially when the weather is bad.
My Ruby will have to get used to bathroom renovations.....that's my job ;D, I expect to be able to take her with me to work.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Over the weekend Jasper finally managed to "kill" the only toy of his that still had a working squeaker (it lasted nearly 6 months!). He always looked so sad when he chomped down on a toy and it didn't make any noise. I loved the relative quiet though!

But...his sad face and the quiet got to me. Today we went to the pet store to buy food, and I caved and bought him a squeaky toy that appears to be some unholy cross of alligator, dragon, and Loch Ness monster.

Squeak squeak squeak!

Edit: Just checked online. It is apparently supposed to be a baby dinosaur. Um, sure.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yeah, Rosie still likes her Duck that used to go "quack, quack." It has a digital squeaker. She always kills the digital ones pretty fast. She also decapitated and removed the stuffing from a weird toy that looks like (literally) a plaid teddy bear with a mermaid tail. We call it her "mermaid bear."

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just finishing our mudroom remodel and shes going to daycare tomorrow so i can paint and do final touches. Nothing like having a v lick your ears while you're trying to make a perfect caulk line.

She was good for the most part - a lot of me telling her to go lay down or not now. But at 1 yr (tomorrow) she can be such a handful when you've got a real project happening. I cant leave her alone for second still , she'll grab anything in site and start to chew it if I leave her...

So daycare days are awesome and I dont feel guilty one bit!

·
Registered
34 Posts
We farm and work at our house, with all of the machinery repairs done at home. Virgil is constantly stealing tools and setting them down just out of the guys reach when they are working under tractors. He brings me rubber pieces and I have to show hubby and try to figure out what Virgil chewed it off of. I sell hybrid daylilies and Virgil is always putting his nose where it doesn't belong or licking the side of my face when I am working in the flower beds. He knows how to open the gate to the garden so a lot of times its a surprise when he licks you.
We love him and wouldn't have it any other way and since were not changing jobs for the V
I guess we'll just have to put up with it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
redrover said:
Over the weekend Jasper finally managed to "kill" the only toy of his that still had a working squeaker (it lasted nearly 6 months!)
RedRover - a squeaky toy that lasted you 6 months?!?! Please do tell... I think Tanner feels as though it is his mission in lift to "kill" the squeaker in any and every toy I get him! I'd love to get him that will last more than 3 hours. Or do I...

·
Registered
639 Posts
It was this large triceratops made by Go Dog (which is a Sherpa brand, I believe). I found it at PetSmart. The thing is, it looks likes Go Dog was bought by Toyshoppe, since the last time I was there, the same toys had a Toyshoppe tag. Or something like that. I don't know what other people's experiences have been, but I've had absolutely no luck at all with anything made by Toyshoppe. Talk about a waste of money. Lately we've mostly been getting very hard rubber toys (like the tough ones made by JW Pet company), since they last him quite a while. Well, I tried this "Plubber" thing from Toyshoppe--it's a rubber toy, with a plush outside. Dead within 5 minutes.

Anyway! That first triceratops did last quite a while. He methodically killed each squeaker, but it still took him a while to get to all of them. Plus there's very little stuffing in there, so less mess! It's also really difficult to rip the toy carcass to pieces, like he can with so many other toys--even with the lack of stuffing, you can still tell what kind of animal it was! Jasper really likes to play fetch with it. So as long as Toyshoppe hasn't messed with the way these toys are made, in any way, they're probably still pretty good.

Here's a link to the Go Dog product page: Dinos!.
Here's another link to the way Petsmart now packages them: Dragons!.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks! Just knowing the name of the company I'm sure I can do a google search and find the Go Dog toys online and on eBay!

One toy we have that has lasted 3 weeks now (miracle) is one from a company called Petstages, and it is a stuffing-free monkey with a double squeaker (2 different pitches)

http://www.petstages.com/dogs/playing/stuffing-free-monkey.html

OMG he loves this and has stayed fairly intact minus the tail.

·
Registered
202 Posts
We bought a bunch of those "skin" animals without the stuffing. Ya.... Lincoln ate them...it was a tense few days and we don't buy those anymore. :(

I got one of those tough bones for big chewers..... (nylabone) he won't have anything to do with it. :(

·
Registered
147 Posts
Random thought of the day:

Love when I'm out with Tanner and people ask me what breed he is. I respond politely with "He's a Vizsla" and they respond with "He's a WHAT?!" ??? Using someone else's response on this forum I just say he's a hungarian pointer, and they usually ask me why I didn't get a lab.... Some people just don't understand ::) <3 my little ginger man :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts