Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Flint14, I do hope your little Vizsla guy is going to be well soon! Poor little guy... It's certainly not his fault. :(

Regarding pronunciation: I think the "zs" in Vizsla is pronounced like the "zs" in Zsa Zsa. Another way to think of it is to think of the last consonant sound in the word "garage". It isn't a very common sound in many English words.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Please don't take this the wrong way but vizsla is vizsla. :eek:
Zs should sound exactly like measure and the 'i' should be quick and short.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Redbirddog- Thanks so much for sharing my post about Europuppy. I hope that someone can learn from my mistake.

My puppy seems to be doing a little better, no diarrhea at all today!!

·
Registered
914 Posts
Flint14, what an experience! I think I once read about the "company" you mentioned. There are many similar companies like that in the US...

P.S. I sent you PM :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So I was at a dog festival yesterday here in town ( a good excuse to drink in public with my dog by my side) and was asked by A TON of people what kind of dog I had (we we're the only vizsla at a 500+ festival). I didn't tell every one he was mostly vizsla, as i want to try to help keep this breed a secret, but to some I did. One person began to attempt to berate me on my pronunciation when i told him what breed he is.

I pronounce it vee-shla
He said it is vee-zla

I could care less to be honest but am now curious. How do you guys pronounce our wonderful breed Vizsla?
I spoke to my Hungarian doctor today and she confirmed that in Hungarian it should be pronounced VEEJ-SH-LA (where the J is more of a JY sound). She also said that if you want to be 100% right, they really should be called 'Magyar Vizsla' rather than just Vizsla! Magyar thankfully is a lot easier to pronounce, and just refers to Hungary.

·
Registered
871 Posts
yes, someone said earlier measure, that is the same [B]ZS[/B] than in vizsla in terms of pronunciation.

the reason why we distinguish them as magyar is because we have a whole lot of pointing-retrieving breeds we call vizsla in Hungarian. like the GSP is called nemet vizsla (nemet means german) or the Weimaraner the weimerani vizsla, etc etc. the only one we have not named vizsla is the pointer. that one remained pointer in hungarian too.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts