Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was at a dog festival yesterday here in town ( a good excuse to drink in public with my dog by my side) and was asked by A TON of people what kind of dog I had (we we're the only vizsla at a 500+ festival). I didn't tell every one he was mostly vizsla, as i want to try to help keep this breed a secret, but to some I did. One person began to attempt to berate me on my pronunciation when i told him what breed he is.

I pronounce it vee-shla
He said it is vee-zla

I could care less to be honest but am now curious. How do you guys pronounce our wonderful breed Vizsla?

·
Administrator
4,174 Posts
vee-sh-la.....but i find "pointer" easier ;D

·
Registered
432 Posts
Veeshla!!! You can find audio on Hungarian pronunciation. I did a lot of research, because I was looking at Hungarian names and I didn't want to pronounce them wrong.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Funny how I now fully understand the meaning of keeping this breed secret... such a pristine breed and they could easily be spoiled! The temperament is so unique! The rescues and animal shelters would abound with them if they were mainstream because of their high maintenance personalities... but I think to us, we wouldn't have it otherwise, we love them just for that! Sorry, getting off topic here...

Veeeeeeejjjlah!!

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Hungarian Pointer. Smooth coat or wire-haired.

This then is followed up by: "Yes, actually they are hunting dogs and have been for a 1,000 years. We want to keep it that way."

RBD

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I've just recently started calling them "high-energy hunting dogs". I should follow this up with a picture of the shaver Cooper recently tried to eat. Maybe less people like his previous owners would take one home and then list it on craigslist later. ::)

We've always said "veeshla" with more of a "j" sound. One lady said to me "oh, are those veez-ah-lahs?" I almost laughed at her. Not sure where she saw the extra vowel in the name.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Oquirrh said:
Looking at Hungarian pronunciation it says the "zs" is pronounced like the "s" in measure.
That's actually a very good example!

I just say vizsla... Cause I can! ;)

·
Registered
914 Posts
I too say it like
"zs" is pronounced like the "s" in measure
and I make sure to emphasize the "ZS" part with a heavy accent so people can't go home and just google the word Vizsla ::) Yes, yes, I'm very mean! But Vizslas are the best kept secret out there ;D

·
Registered
47 Posts
Got my boy directly from Hungary =) Picked him up there myself. It's "veeshla". There's actually a little bit of a 'J' sound in there. like "Veeshjla"

Funny thing, though, I live in Italy, and they call him the generic word for "gun dog" in Italian.

My vet called him a "veeshla" in English, when talking to me (He's American, but speaks Italian and works for mostly Italians), but when he told his wife, who it Italian, what breed my pup is, he pronounced it "veeesla".

·
Registered
914 Posts
Hi Flint14, I was trying to find a word in Italian containing a "zs" similar-sounding letter in it... can't think of one!

Where in Italy do you live? I used to live in Livorno and then moved up North near Pordenone. Now I'm in the US and miss Italy a lot.
What breeder did you get your V from? I imported my youngest V. from HU, too :) Sorry... offtopic... :-[

·
Registered
47 Posts
Suliko - I live very near Pordenone!!! =) I'm sure you've heard of Aviano AFB, we are here because my husband works there. We've got two years left!

We got our pup from the company "europuppy". In all honesty, I'd never do it again, I now know how shady they are and I'm upset I was never able to contact the breeder myself. It's basically a third party that sets breeders up with buyers. A lot of people on base recommended it to us, but I'm pretty miffed at them. I'm actually trying to find a way to get it out that nobody should ever do business with these people. My puppy is beautiful and I love him, but he was not very healthy when I picked him up, which makes me believe that these people care more about the money than the dogs. =(

They met me at the border between Slovenia and Hungary, because I was vacationing in Slovenia. They were four hours late, and when they arrived, my puppy had been sitting in his own poo and pee for WHO knows how long. He was the only dog in the car, so I can't imagine why he wasn't clean. It was only an hour's drive from Budapest, where the breeder was. He's had an intestinal parasite from day one and was quite thin when I picked him up. We're going on two weeks with him here, and he's been sick every single day. The vet has high hopes that he should be fine by next week, though.

All in all, I feel very stupid for doing business with these people and I hope that at least one person will read this and NEVER use that company. Go directly to a breeder yourself!!!!!!! I didn't, because I was having a tough time finding one and it was so easy to go through the third party company. BAD IDEA.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Now this is a right pronunciation "Veeeeeeejjjlah!!
I mean even this one isn't correct 100%.
ZS in Hungarian is a very complex letter ..so i would put an "s" in front the L.

Europuppies sounds bad, hope the little one gets better soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts