Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this isn't really a Vizsla oriented question, however it seems we have very knowledgeable bird hunters on this forum, so I thought I'd ask some of you. Ok, I am visiting my inlaws in Victoria, BC and they have about 5 acres of land. The problem is that they have been getting a family of about 5-6 wild peacocks coming onto the property and harrasing them for months, eating all the grain for their chickens, getting in the vegetable gardens and making a mess, defecating all over their yard and driveway, keeping them up at night as they squawk all night long... They are not afraid at all and c basically come to the front door and just hang out. My dog Axel was more afraid of them than they were of him. (not a good hunting dog) Anyway's I phoned the Spca and they said nothing they can do, they referred me to a Game warden, and they stated that you can't shoot them cause inside city boundaries or something, they suggested you catch them, and then release them somewhere else? My question is how the heck would you catch wild peacocks? And let me tell you they are very annoying, I have been here 3 nights and they have kept me up all night with there annoying squawking!!! They are beautiful birds though.. Ok thanks...

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Get a backhoe and dig a gradually sloping trench just wide enough for the peacocks to fit. Have a gentle slope, and make the final dimension just a few inches shorter than their full height.
Lay a feed trail into the trench and all along it's length.
When the peacocks have worked their way to the deep end, approach them very quickly from the shallow end with a casting net. The width, and depth of the trench should not allow them to jump up, and spread their wings. Toss the net over them. Be careful though. They're pretty adept with that beak.

This is an old poachers trick for Canada Geese. I've been told it's still effective. ;)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting contraption Gunnr, seems like it could work.. I will pass on the information to my in-laws.. Thank you...

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a very good idea but getting a backhoe may be tricky. I don't know exactly how much a peacock relates to a turkey but, I've actually caught a turkey in a hog trap. Turkey have excellent eye sight. If there is good brush cover, I would try a hog trap and give it good camouflage, I mean really good. Run a feed trail around it then in it with a good supply. Just an idea.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Construct a large enough cage (someone would have to be there to close quickly if not a trap) & lure with jumbo meal worms. I heard from an ostrich/emu owner that Peacock go crazy for meal worms :) Worms might be worth a try. Good luck!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Some years ago I used to live on the edge of a golf course that had peacocks roaming around it all the time. That peacock squawk was indeed annoying, especially at night when you're trying to get some shut-eye! Good luck catching the peacocks!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
tripp-Hog trap sounds interesting, I will pass on that information, I actually just watched a reality tv show called wild hogs or something a couple of weeks ago, and I know the traps you are talking about, that may work.. It may be difficult to backhoe the land as you mentioned as they have alot of rocks and cliff areas as well not sure they would want to dig a trench on their beautiful land near the house. (but I am sure it would work) Thanks for the information.

kellygh-Jumbo meal worms sound like a good luring meal, and getting a big enough trap may work, such as the hog trap mentioned above, or a big net such as gunnr mentioned, but as you mentioned you would have to be very quick... Ok, thanks for the help, much appreciated.

nswhipple-Yes, the noise is basically intolerable, here we thought we were getting away from the big city to go relax in the country where it's quiet and peaceful, and the noises from the peacocks, roosters, etc, seemed worse than the city? go figure? hahah (And I deliberately left my earplugs at home not thinking I would need them)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts