Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

Puppy with separation disorder?

6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  Mercutio 
Hi,

sorry to hear of your trouble, but vizslas are described as the velcro dog although you seem to have a very clingy one! The cage is by far the best place for them once they are used to it, mine now takes herself off for sleeps there when she feels the need. Also at night, although we had to go through nights full of whining and barking till she accepted it.

As for the separation problems I think you need to build up the time you leave her. EG go out of the Room for a second and come back in, praise her when she is calm, repeat till she is ok for that short time. Increase to a few seconds, repeat, increase etc. As for the crate, put tasty treats in there to encourage her in so she associates the crate with a good experience and stay with her at first.

Is your crate covered up so it's like a den for her, and try microwaveable bean bag to give her some warm comforting in there too. Peanut still waits at night till her warm bean bag is in there before going to sleep at night !! Do the same with her in the crate as with the room routine, in shut door then open it straight away and praise when calm, increase the time in there and repeat etc.

Vizslas are smart dogs and given some training will get the message so stick with it before the decision to send her away is made. They are incredibly loving dogs and worth the initial trouble. As I type Peanut has just walked up to me and deposited a half chewed raw hide chew complete with slobber on my clean jeans, lovely !!!

I'm sure more will post on this thread, hang on in there,

Graham

Quite right CK,

move on, but not easier!! Our problem is running round onto the sofas, lying down and trying to bite, however she is fast asleep as I type, they are so cute when not giving us grief.

Lots of fun to come Samsmom

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.