Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm new to this forum and a new V owner. Im looking forward to learning from you all about this amazing breed. We got our boy at 10 weeks and immediately started crate training. Everything was going pretty well until one night, both my husband and I caved in and allowed our Riley to sleep with us. Big mistake as he's turned into a complete bed hog! He's also become reluctant about going into his crate and freaks out after approximately 10min. I've been playing crate games with him and just when i think we're turning a corner, we go back to square one (will only go in half way).
I'd love to be able to have him sleep in his crate during the night, be in his crate when we are not home and just feel comfortable all around about being in it. Any ideas, suggestions, experiences are most welcome!

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd keep with the crate games, make it super fun. Whatever it takes, treats, toys, make it a party. Eventually start closing the door for very short periods, then open and reward/praise before a vocalization. Keep increasing the time. Once they start barking/crying. Whatever you do don't let him out. Sit there right by the crate calm and cool not paying attention to the antics. Once he quiets down, throw a party and open the door with reward/praise. It may take awhile for him to quiet down, it will feel like forever. Take a break and do the same thing again after some time passes. At night give the crate command and throw some treats in , close it for the night. I prefer to have the crate in the bedroom at first so the pup doesn't feel totally alone. Prepare for crying, barking, carrying on for awhile.. could be for an hour or more. Eventually he will give up and sleep. Never never give in to the antics and let him out, you will set yourself back a week or more. The exception is waking in the middle of the night for potty, you have no choice but to let them out for this. Keep it mundane, no fun, boring, all work. Go out , do the business, and right back into the crate. No treats, no praise, nothing. This is so the pup doesn't think waking you up in the middle of the night for fun times is an option. Only to go potty. He may try the barking/whining again at this time which is tons of fun at 3am. This process can carry on for weeks. I suggest earplugs! We were sleep deprived for what fealt like an eternity during this process.

If you don't plan on allowing the dog in the bed, I suggest making it a no-go zone. Never let him back on the bed from this time forward.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Good luck! It does take a lot of time and perserverance but it does start to hit home. Our issue is not getting i Amber in the crete and sleeping its being left when she just gets in. Once she is settled and laying down with eyes closed you can walk away. She cries and barks if you put her in and then walk off straight away. She doesnt like being left basically. If i stay in the room with her she settles and sleeps quickly, so we are working on the amaount of time i leave the crete currently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts