Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
Archie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, looking to see if anyone has experienced this with their new puppy and it turned out to be completely normal. I have raised pups several times ( this is our first V) and I’ve not experienced such frequent peeing. Our male pup is 10 weeks old and we’ve had him for a week. Please understand this isn’t about house breaking issues. I have no expectations for a fully housebroken dog until 6/7 months and then still the odd accident is expected. What I’m wondering is if this is just a normal puppy thing for him and that others have experienced this OR, have you experienced this and it turned out to be a health issue re: UTI, diabetes, kidney issue etc.

I do not limit water during the day unlesss he had a huge drink and still wants more ( then I just pick it for a bit and it goes back down) No water in his crate after feeding or over night. He seems overly interested in water and drinking although today, for the first time he was less so - I figure eventually he’ll just self regulate what he needs and I do understand that if he really drinks a lot then for the next bit, he’s going to pee more frequently. Every time we take him out he pees - every time, right away. He will often play for a bit and pee again and again. Only a few times a day, after a nap does he have a longer pee - they are usually short, quick squats. Although, I witnessed several times where he has a few short ones and then a long one. We literally take him out every 10 minutes or less when he’s awake because as soon as he puts his nose down, we’ve learned he’s going to pee. Several times a day I find myself taking him out within just, literally 2 minutes of having been out and pee’d. He’s very smart and has caught on to routine and when it’s meal time, he runs right to his crate and the first thing he does is pee in his crate despite just having gone outside. Each time he spends time in his crate either after a meal or over night, the blanket or mat that I have in with him is very wet with pee and so I’m guessing with multiple pees.

I wondering if it’s just his tiny bladder, and that he’s drinking well and a bit of excitement and inability to hold back and of course he doesn’t really see the purpose in holding his pee yet, why would he right - he’s just a baby.
Any other pup wehad I would say on average , needed to be taken out every 20 minutes or so and would still have accidents in between of course but this guy if he’s awake is way more often. The urine looks very clear most of the time although I have cleaned up some with paper towels and it was yellow so it’s not always clear.

I was thinking it can’t hurt to bring in a urine sample so I’ll get his first pee of the day tomorrow morning.

If anyone can remember back to those very first, very young puppy days and went through something like this that just sorta worked itself out in a few weeks, I’d love to hear back. But, of course I’m going to bring in a urine sample just to see if he has a bit of an infection.

We love him to bits, he’s gorgeous, amazing and really so smart. He fits right in with our pack and even the cat has taken a shine to him. He of course is a typical puppy and has his stinker moments but hey, that’s half the fun ( and I know there’s all kinds of more “fun” coming up;)

Part of me thinks this is just a puppy thing and then the new mom side of me is worried something is up.

· Registered
1,343 Posts
Bringing the urine sample to the vet sounds like a good idea, just to be on the safe side. If the vet rules out physical issues I would look into when and where he exactly pees in the house.
If he only has these accidents in the crate I would think it is the mat or blanket, they possibly have urine smell on them even after washing so he re-soils them. I would try removing them and give the crate bottom a good enzymatic wash, just to remove all residuals.

· Registered
Archie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi! Thank you for replying! I will definitely update with the results from the urine sample. For the pees in the house they are everywhere and anywhere - on carpets, the laminate floor, just anywhere he happens to be. I have Natures Miracle handy and I wipe and spray and wipe. I haven’t done his blankets that I use in his crate with an enzyme wash tho’ just throwing them in the wash so I’ll definitely spray wait and then wash! Thanks!

· Registered
Archie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Another update. Just picked up the bottle and container from the vets and I’ll bring the sample in tomorrow. But while I was working ( I work from home) on my computer today, he was napping on my lap for about an hour. Prior to that he was out and peed. I hadn’t realized it till he woke, but while he slept, he soaked through the double folded blanket and my jeans. He hadn’t moved the entire nap so clearly it just comes out. We went straight outside and he had a long pee. This morning we were up at 7am and by 8am he had peed 12 times. For 7 I was quick enough to get him outside. I’m really hoping this is normal or nothing more than an infection. Just now as well I fed him, left him in his crate for an hour and he slept and when I went to retrieve him, I could ring out his blanket it’s that soaked where he was laying.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
With it happening all the time when he’s asleep, I would say it’s not normal. Hopefully your vet can find the answer.

Reactions: Archie’sMom

· Registered
Archie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update! Our boy is still a very frequent pee’er but maybe it is just his puppy thing? I’m waiting it out before any more medical testing as it has gotten better…I think mostly due to me being on it diligently. So when he’s awake, we go out literally every 10-15 minutes and he goes every time. I’ve noticed a bit of a whine cue as well. It’s subtle but we are picking up in it. The good news is that he’s only ever pooped in the house in his crate and only the first week we had him. Overall he is amazing and just so smart and fun and of course mischievous;)
Dog Wood Dog breed Carnivore Flooring

1 - 6 of 6 Posts