Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 14 week old Puppy, which we got at 8 weeks old.

I would be interested to know everyone's challenges at different stages during their puppies development, and how you overcame them, so we know what to expect over the next year. It will also help us understand what we need to address, and what's just a phase they should grow out of.

For example:
  • When did their puppy start the 'Sharkies' and when did it stop - ours seemed to start at 11 weeks and is still in full force!
  • When did they stop needing constant supervision - currently we have to crate unless we're with her
  • Did yours go through a 'fearful' stage
  • Did they become more or less vocal - ours seems to do a lot of barking at us which I'm hoping she'll grow out of!
Please add any other stages your puppy went through.

·
Registered
37 Posts
1. I got my dog at 10 weeks And he came to us in the biting phase. He fully stopped biting me at around 3.5 months old For my fiance it took a bit longer, but I’m half convinced it’s because he tolerates it.
2. At around 3.5 months my partner could work without minding him all the time. He would take a nap for a few hours While my partner worked, but he does work from home so it’s daily practice for them both. And as for crates, we rarely crated him, but for many months now he would just leave the office to chill by himself on the couch when he could tell we were working. Can’t tell exactly when. I will say he stopped trying to kill himself (chewing wires, jumping down the stairs) at around 4 months. You can worry he’ll destroy your stuff but I wasn’t afraid for his life by then.
3. My boy started his fearful stage at around 7 months. He’s still in it At 8 months.
4. My dog was never really vocal. At ~4 months he barked at us for the first time, but that was his first naughty phase starting too. he started to think he didn’t need to listen to us and got really rebellious when we corrected him. That settled down in a couple of weeks and now he’s back to not really barking. He’ll talk though. Whine, grumble, etc. but not really bark. He did start barking at other dogs, horses and cows at around 7 months. Not a lot, but enough to make me feel really sheepish and embarrassed. He particularly hates the dog next door and will bark at it sometimes; the dog next door did NOT like him as a puppy and growled at him, and now that he’s big he thinks he doesn’t have to take it anymore.

The first couple of weeks were the worst and although the adolescent dog is a challenge, nothing quite rises to the level of challenge those first weeks gave us.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We have a 14 week old Puppy, which we got at 8 weeks old.

Congrats. I will say that months 2-6 were the roughest, and I mean so rough that I thought I had made a big mistake. By month 7 things improved and now, at 1.5 years, she's setting into being the V that everyone is so crazy about, but with some flashes of mania and quirkiness.
  • Sharkies - At the beginning, even a gentle "mouthing" was enough to draw blood, as those new razor sharp teeth came in. You have to get on top of the biting with negative reinforcement training. Turn your back, make the "that's not acceptable behavior" noise to her, let her bite her own gum to see how much it hurts, whatever your training regimen is so she understands she's got a weapon there. After Abee's teeth dulled a bit, her teething stopped, and I had dozens of scratches, she ultimately learned not to shark as much, around month 7ish. She also stopped destroying every blanket, pillow, dog bed, stuffed toy as she got older. Even now, though, only toys for "aggressive chewers" will survive one day.
  • Did not have a fearful "stage" really. However, she doesn't like to try new things, like going into the car / truck, or going through / over an obstacle, despite lots of attempts to train her. She also goes through weird moments when she decides she doesn't want to go near garbage cans one day, and is totally fine with them on another day. Socializing with other dogs at a dog park was a game changer re fear. She was very submissive and now holds her own in the packs of dogs that play at the park.
  • I've actually seen Abee grow into barking, rather than out of it. Barking didn't start until close to a year. Now she barks at certain noises from the TV and from the doorbell. No idea how she learned that. She sort of "ruffs" like the cowardly lion after a few barks, too. I haven't been able to train her out of barking entirely. And I guess that's good for the home security aspect of things. She rarely barks at passersby or dogs on walks, even if the dogs are barking. But, for reasons I do not understand, some people and dogs cause her to start barking.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Up to 6 months was a big challenge. Then things stated getting better. By 1 year pretty good, but still challenging 1.5 years started to become a great dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts