Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Our vet was insistent on neutering early 9-12 months. We were going to keep Milo intact for good, but we got a female V and were obviously concerned about our female getting pregnant. So Milo was neutered at 27-months of age.

Fast forward, we will not even consider spaying our female until her second heat or well into her second year of age. Was told by several knowledgable people with hunting breeds to wait at the very least 2-years of age so their bones structure can properly mature, etc.

To that end, our longtime vet kept annoying us at every visit with our female that we final gave in and switched vets. We simply couldn't convince her otherwise we wanted to wait and she us feel so uncomfortable at every visit so we simply moved on to one that would embrace our decision....fwiw.
What an ordeal! It was his first wellness visit with our vet, and he suggested we do it within the next 2 months. No nagging yet. I want to give him time to grow and mature properly before considering. Hopefully there will be no nagging and the decision will be understood.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, we have had our puppy for a little over 2 months now, and were recommended to neuter him in the next month or 2 by the vet. Anyone have any feedback on this? I'm hesitant because of some of the health issues as well as behavior. He is just 6 months old now.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thank you! I'm planning on waiting. This is such a great forum for advice! So happy I cam across it yesterday. :)
I think you've made a wise decision. Neutering prior to 24 months voids the health guarantee I provide my new puppy owners. There have been specific studies done about early neutering in the Vizsla. Here's one study you might want to review: Spay-neuter considerations to maximize health - IVC Journal

·
Registered
35 Posts
I think you've made a wise decision. Neutering prior to 24 months voids the health guarantee I provide my new puppy owners. There have been specific studies done about early neutering in the Vizsla. Here's one study you might want to review: Spay-neuter considerations to maximize health - IVC Journal
I'm sorry, the link didn't post but it's the study done by Chris Zink, DVM, PhD, DACVP, DACVSMR, CCRT, CVSMT, CVA and published Feb 6, 2017 and viewable in the ivc journal online

21 - 25 of 25 Posts