Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, we have had our puppy for a little over 2 months now, and were recommended to neuter him in the next month or 2 by the vet. Anyone have any feedback on this? I'm hesitant because of some of the health issues as well as behavior. He is just 6 months old now.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Did your vet give any specific reasons (i.e. specific health concerns related to your pup) or was just something which is your vet`s generic practice?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Our breeder recommended not neutering Maui until he was at least a year old as he is growing and developing, and hormones are relevant.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did your vet give any specific reasons (i.e. specific health concerns related to your pup) or was just something which is your vet`s generic practice?
He didn't. Our boy is in great health. I have worked with animals for many years and did a lot of research on the topic of spay and neuter. I know that some breeders even say 2 years. Issues like cancer, behavior, and growth changes are all very relevant concerns for me. Testosterons is still made so that is not so much my worry. More so for future health. He is my first vizsla, so I'm looking for all the breed knowledge and advice I can get!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Our breeder recommended not neutering Maui until he was at least a year old as he is growing and developing, and hormones are relevant.
Thanks, and he is adorable! Ice is our first vizsla, and some things are just not so cookie cutter, like neutering. I do feel like vets seem to have the same standard for all tho.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
My Vizslas never finished growing, or filling out until between 2 and 3 years old. So that is the time I spay, or neuter.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Neuter at 6 months of age?? That's seems really inconsistent with all of the reading I have done through the years.
Finn is 9-1/2 months old, and my vet won't even consider neutering him until 18 months to two years.
Personally, I would not neuter/spay a 8 month old puppy.
I have had three males that remained intact their entire lives with no issues or complications.

·
Registered
884 Posts
I just wanted to double check as sometimes there are real health reasons for neutering that early. I am in the camp of keeping them intact at least 2-3 years. Some vets are only looking at it from the PoV of preventing possible unwanted litters. If you know that your boy is healthy and you can keep him from females in heat, you can politely dismiss the vet`s proposal. I proactively avoided this conversation as i told with both boys right at the first puppy check that they will be possibly bred, they put it on their papers and we have never discussed this topic again. I may or may not breed them, i just wanted to avoid any discussion about it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Neuter at 6 months of age?? That's seems really inconsistent with all of the reading I have done through the years.
Finn is 9-1/2 months old, and my vet won't even consider neutering him until 18 months to two years.
Personally, I would not neuter/spay a 8 month old puppy.
I have had three males that remained intact their entire lives with no issues or complications.
The vet wanted to do it around 8-9months. I've waited with all my other dogs unless there was a health issue, but having not owned a vizsla before I thought maybe there was a reason. But, like you said, the reading I've done says different. We will do it eventually, just not so soon. Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
"but having not owned a vizsla before I thought maybe there was a reason."

At the end of the day, physiologically, the Vizsla is still a dog like all other dogs.
You're correct to wait in my opinion.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just wanted to double check as sometimes there are real health reasons for neutering that early. I am in the camp of keeping them intact at least 2-3 years. Some vets are only looking at it from the PoV of preventing possible unwanted litters. If you know that your boy is healthy and you can keep him from females in heat, you can politely dismiss the vet`s proposal. I proactively avoided this conversation as i told with both boys right at the first puppy check that they will be possibly bred, they put it on their papers and we have never discussed this topic again. I may or may not breed them, i just wanted to avoid any discussion about it.
Absolutely, but he is all good :) What a great way to avoid the talk! I didn't think of that! Did you see any behavior differences in your boys before/after neutering? I'm going to ask our vet why he suggested to neuter so early. Thank you for the advice, this is a really nice forum to be able to connect with other owners. :)

·
Registered
884 Posts
I have not neutered my boys. Bende is a little over 4 and Miksa is 2 and he still has not filled out fully. So far i have not seen any reason to neuter them. If i had to i would actually go for vasectomy, to keep the hormones going.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
Keep in mind, the only reason mine do not stay intact is because I own males, and females. I don't breed, so by 3 years old I have it done. Just makes it easier on me. No more having to keep them separated during the heat cycle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have not neutered my boys. Bende is a little over 4 and Miksa is 2 and he still has not filled out fully. So far i have not seen any reason to neuter them. If i had to i would actually go for vasectomy, to keep the hormones going.
That's a good option. I'm considering neuter, but not until he has gone thru puberty. He's 6 months old now and about 34lbs. Much more filling out to go.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Keep in mind, the only reason mine do not stay intact is because I own males, and females. I don't breed, so by 3 years old I have it done. Just makes it easier on me. No more having to keep them separated during the heat cycle.
Makes sense. He is not going to be bred so I will probably consider neutering after puberty.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Our vet was insistent on neutering early 9-12 months. We were going to keep Milo intact for good, but we got a female V and were obviously concerned about our female getting pregnant. So Milo was neutered at 27-months of age.

Fast forward, we will not even consider spaying our female until her second heat or well into her second year of age. Was told by several knowledgable people with hunting breeds to wait at the very least 2-years of age so their bones structure can properly mature, etc.

To that end, our longtime vet kept annoying us at every visit with our female that we final gave in and switched vets. We simply couldn't convince her otherwise we wanted to wait and she us feel so uncomfortable at every visit so we simply moved on to one that would embrace our decision....fwiw.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So happy I found this conversation as we are in the same situation.

Mika is turning 1 on 1st of August, and while his marking has increased recently he’s just a normal adolescent (testing us and other dogs a lot :) ).

We don’t intend to breed with him and our vet has recommended chemical neutering in the beginning and if it doesn’t create any big changes in his behavior go ahead with full neuter once he’s 2-3 yrs old.

I’ve only found limited research around this topic and I was wondering if any anyone might have experience with chemical neutering.

Thanks!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

·
Registered
40 Posts
We had our V neutered at 6 months because one of his testicles would not drop down. Turned out that it was way up near his abdomen. The vet said it was good we did neuter when we did because that testicle would have turned cancerous. If he had both normal in the beginning we would have waited at least till he was 1 yr.old. He is 4 1/2 now, & he is tall at 26" & beautiful. His temperament is awesome, very affectionate, confident, & has been trained. He is great.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts