Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so this has nothing to do with our sweet Lucy. However, here in NYC yesterday and today the weather is miserable, utterly miserable. I went for my normal Thursday morning run (830am) yesterday (yes I am nuts!). While I was running I saw a man running with his Vizsla, not just a Vizsla, but a puppy!!!!! First of all, the pup was the same size as Lucy, so it could not be more than 16-17 weeks. Secondly, they were running on the leash. Lastly it was 90% humidity and 85 degrees out!!!!!! I know puppies need exercise, but not in this heat. That was just MEAN. Sorry, just had to gripe about it. I felt so bad for the puppy. He ran by too quickly to say anything too :-(

·
Registered
639 Posts
Oh, yikes. On pavement too? Not ok. I hope you see him again so you can tell him the many reasons why this is not good for his puppy!

Also, you are indeed nuts, but kudos to you for being so devoted to your running! I tried to be this summer, but the timing was difficult with the puppy and work (plus I'm excellent at finding excuses). Now that he's a little older I might start back up again.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not to add to your gripe but I would die for 85 degree weather! We have been having weather at or above 100 degrees in texas. Uncle!! Of course, I can appreciate that you have to compare it to what you're used to...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
He's very foolish and is risking that pup unnecessarily. I really hope he was carrying water for the puppy.

For some reason people equate the harsher the condition, the better the workout. It's just nonsense.
I raced bicycles for many years and the only reason I trained in hot humid weather was to mentally adjust to it for races. Same with cold rainy days.
Gunnr is driving me nuts right now to go out, but it's almost 98 and the humidity is through the roof today. She needs to be more like Tika and enjoy the AC

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We ended up being over 100 yesterday and are over today as well (heat index hit 115). I am marathon training that is why I was out. Would have gone earlier but, someone named Lucy wanted mommy to stay at home.

I did not see water on him, I do know there are dog fountains, but still. We try and carry bowls or the new water bottle holder for her when we are out. Oh, for those of you with puppies that may not be drinking enough water in the heat we give Lucy ice cubes. She thinks they are a treat and she gets water and its cools her down. Plus, it adds entertainment for about 10-15 min :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Nothing wrong with exercising in the heat (for the human). Our heat index has been 110 here for the past few days and I'm training through it since I run every day. Your body can adjust to it!

I know that a bit off-topic, but figured I'd add my two cents :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts