Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are picking up our pup in a few weeks. I wrote the breeder and she said they are feeding the pups Eukanuba large breed puppy food. I know that they are very good breeders and the pups are in excellent health and are taken care of really well, but I have read that there are better options out there for dog food. My question is: should we keep her on the same diet for a period of time or immediately start transitioning her to another brand? Just would like some advice on how to go about that. And second, what brand would you recommend switching to? I have also heard incorporating probiotics is good as well...any recommendations there? Thank you for your help!

·
Registered
251 Posts
We are two recent V additions the past two years we switched almost immediately. If you're not happy with what there feeding your new arrival it is fairly easy to switch. By slowly incorporating the new food: 80/20, 60/40, 40/60, etc etc over the course of a week. That's what we did and had no issues. There are many great options out there. We stay away from big box store brands and use a family owned and made food out of Pennsylvania. I'm no food expert, but would stay away from big brands like Purina, etc. We feed ours 90% kibble and will incorporate cooked chicken, farm fresh scrambled eggs (we have backyard chickens), sweet potatoes and things like that.

And I just did extensive homework on incorporating probiotics and even spoke to an expert on this subject matter with a local Vet. And she said the only time probiotics should be used is when treating with antibiotics, etc. Just like humans. She said there is little evidence that it benefits the dog otherwise, so take it for what's worth. We don't.

·
Administrator
8,029 Posts
With puppies I wait until they have settled in. Everything else in their world has been changed. Keeping their food the same, is the one thing I can do for them. After the first month you can change, if you're unhappy with the food.
There is a big debate over what is the best food for dogs. I use Purina Pro Plan puppy, and switch over to Purina Pro Plan sport after a year old.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Our breeder gave us a little ziplock baggie with the food he was feeding them. It wasn’t a food that we could source locally (he had a friend bring it in from the US (pre-COVID) at an amazing price). He advised transitioning 50% with the food that we were going to use (Merrick puppy), until the breeder’s food ran out. We had no issues with the transition at all. Maui loves his new food.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts