Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Milo, 8wks, Vizsla
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We brought our 8wk Vizsla puppy, Milo, home 2 days ago, and overall, everything has been going really well except for eating. He doesn’t seem to eat much, and I often have to hand feed him to get him going. He was thinner than most of the litter already, and the breeder said he just has a high metabolism. He’s definitely lost a little weight in the past couple days though, as his ribs are clearly visible. Im feeding a raw food diet with salmon oil and supplements like the breeder was, but his total food consumption in one day is approximately 1 minced chicken breast filet, a small broccoli crown, a scoop of cottage cheese, and some freeze dried liver treats here and there (he loves those!). He’ll snack throughout the day but never eats a full meal. He did well with a chicken leg after I cut a bit of the meat off the bone and hand fed him. His poops are solid and healthy, he’s playful, and he takes himself to his crate for naps. He’s just very much on the skinny side. How much should he be eating?

·
Registered
72 Posts
So ours was the same (had her approx 2 weeks) and we were worried
We found adding a bit of boiling water to her food and letting it cook sufficiently really helped, now she lets us know when it’s dinner time and eating 4 square meals a day.

Don’t forget she will still be stressed and unsure if her new surroundings having been brutally ripped away from her mother and siblings (choice of words to hammer home the changes, it wasn’t really brutal or mean I promise)

·
Registered
Milo, 8wks, Vizsla
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So ours was the same (had her approx 2 weeks) and we were worried
We found adding a bit of boiling water to her food and letting it cook sufficiently really helped, now she lets us know when it’s dinner time and eating 4 square meals a day.

Don’t forget she will still be stressed and unsure if her new surroundings having been brutally ripped away from her mother and siblings (choice of words to hammer home the changes, it wasn’t really brutal or mean I promise)
His eating has gotten a bit better since I last posted this, and I discovered that he’ll eat the ground Turkey if I cook it with a little olive oil and put his probiotic powder on it. I’m also noticing he likes to have a big breakfast and then just graze a little most the rest of the day, so I give him lots of calories in the morning. A few people recommended giving him lots of fats in this skinny puppy phase, like butter, bacon, even ice cream if he tolerates it, so I’ve been doing that. He does eat more with with some fats added. We’re getting the hang of things, and he looks healthy and happy, so I think we’re on track.

·
Registered
72 Posts
We found that with ours, but have moved her to a 3 meal a day routine to help us apart from anything.

They need so much sleep, and dont go down on their own it seems (not yet anyways - i do so hope this changes)

Glad Milo is eating a bit better, it takes a while, and if yours is anything like mine, the poo firms up after a week or so too!

·
Registered
Milo, 8wks, Vizsla
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update after 1 week with Milo. The past few days his eating habits declined even more. A meal he ate the day before, he wouldn’t touch the following day, and his hips and even a little spine were starting to become visible. Even my 10 & 12 year children noticed he was looking skinny. The Acana puppy food I ordered arrived today, and he loved it! I gave him 1/4c and he devoured it, I gave him another 1/4c and he devoured that too, so I fed him a few more just from my hand and he was satisfied. That’s the most food he’s eaten in a meal since he’s been home with us. I think we found a winner! I’ll continue feeding raw and add in these kibble meals for now and see how he does. Fingers crossed!
some need the adjustment time as mentioned above. use the opportunity of hand feeding for bonding. it comes handy very soon once Milo settles and you start more training.
Update after 1 week with Milo. The past few days his eating habits declined even more. A meal he ate the day before, he wouldn’t touch the following day, and his hips and even a little spine were starting to become visible. Even my 10 & 12 year children noticed he was looking skinny. The Acana puppy food I ordered arrived today, and he loved it! I gave him 1/4c and he devoured it, I gave him another 1/4c and he devoured that too, so I fed him a few more just from my hand and he was satisfied. That’s the most food he’s eaten in a meal since he’s been home with us. I think we found a winner! I’ll continue feeding raw and add in these kibble meals for now and see how he does. Fingers crossed!

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
So glad you found something he really likes.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thats good news. Viktor (now nine months) did really well on Acana. Loved eating it and filled out nicely. We even used it for training treats and he was super responsive.

He did end up taking nearly twice the recommended daily amount. The vet said he looked good so to not worry about over feeding. It was hard to get him to put on weight the first few months. Now he’s a solid 30 kilos.

He also gets a dollop of yogurt every few meals.

·
Registered
72 Posts

So glad he’s eating now. Perhaps he just prefers it, might need to swap full time to the acana.

Ours is eating like there’s no tomorrow now, and growing sooooi much it’s a little scary (considering I’m trying to bulk out at the gym, I’m slightly jealous!!)

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Bende was at the beginning on Acana and Orijen and he loved both of them. He did well on those till he was around 4 years old, high energy, shiny coat, no issues. Then gradually the amount he had to eat became scary. he would eat 6-7 cups of this very high calorie food and would be barely 49 pounds. Vet check including blood work came back perfect, but I was afraid he will bloat and my other one Miksa was having the same challenge, he was 2 at that time, so I switched them both to raw. They both love it, just as they loved their kibble, and weight management is no more issue. if I ever had to switch back to kibble I would pick Acana /Orijen again. Gotta do whatever works for your dog.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts