Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two weeks ago at conformation class, Heifer was the perfect student. The instructor said “She’s ready to be shown in the ring.”
This weeks class, a new and different Heifer walked in the door. Confident as always, but she was determined to do things her way. Pull, leap, try to chew the lead, and all attention focused on seeing the new puppy in class, unless she was trying to snag something off the floor. 3/4 of the class was over, before she decided to start listening.
I hope all new puppy owners know it happens, and will likely happen again at any given time. They are young, learning, growing, getting distracted, and testing us is what we signed up for.
Dog Carnivore Working animal Dog breed Plant

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Such a valuable reminder. The phases of development they are going thru does not lead to a linear learning curve but rather a spiral form one. Whether in the classroom, at home or on the field.
Soo true.

Even the instructor took her for a quick down and back. Heifer promptly showed her the leaping game. She said “ It’s not you, it’s her.”
I’m going to take her to some puppy classes for the next 3 weeks. Not going to be firm with her, just going to do a little more work on distraction around other pups under six months old.

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for sharing. I'm experiencing this every single day. An angel who listens to every command one minute, a disruptive, pulling, jumping and biting monster with no regard for anything or anyone the next. They did warn me - "wait till he turns 6 months old". He just has :)
Just stay calm, relaxed, and work through it. The phases ( brain development) of testing us come and go. Not uncommon to take a step backwards on training, before moving forward again. I don’t even care if we just sit at part of the puppy class, Treat/ calm voice anytime she is not distracted by other things.

• Helpful
Reactions: Mike D and Gabica

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I took Bende to a basic obedience class right around the 6 month mark. he went to puppy class before and daily to daycare, knew already many commands, was a pretty reliable pet at home etc... sure enough we entered the room the first time and he started jumping up and down on the leash, whining and barking (he is usually not a big barker) and all he wanted is going up to all the dogs and play with them... he was the youngest dog in the class and definitely catching everyone's attention from the get go haha. ;) he turned around within couple of classes and we took several other classes at the same place, we even did his CGC there at 10 months.
by the time we got to the exercise walking thru a place crowded with dogs he could not care about anyone else just me. I would say that is the equivalent of the walking bird exercise for hunt training in terms of challenging a young pup in a classroom, needs careful building up so that they are set up for success.
Exactly why I’m not worried about her being over exuberant in class. I think it’s more important that she enjoys the class, than how she behaves the whole time. She is only a very tiny step into building a foundation of learning. If we are patient enough, all good things come in time.

Reactions: Gabica

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sasha was the star of the class for the first 3 sessions, then she got bored with it. The trainer asked me to bring a small bag of kibble to keep her focus.
I’ve been making her class treats. They consist of tiny pieces of cooked chicken breast, or lean steak. Now that she has lost her baby teeth (took to long to chew in class) I can go back to freeze dried treats.

She went to a puppy class last week. Wild child, trying to meet all the new puppies at the start of class. Then settled in, and did very well. She hardly ever has puppies in her conformation class. So the puppy class should help. She is having fun, and getting a lot of socialization. That’s the top priority. The other will come in time.

Reactions: Mrs M
1 - 5 of 5 Posts