Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone--
I am also new to this forum. I have a 1 yr old vizsla named Ritz. She is a rescue we got at 7 months. The owners of the kennel got divorced/broke up and divided up the dogs. Ritz didn't do well with other dogs (she is a bit small and was bullied by the 7 other vizslas/brittanys) so they kept her locked up 22 hours a day, and she was very destructive because of it. They decided to turn her over to the local humane society after finding out she was gun shy during a field test. We got her from that shelter in Columbus after a long search to find the perfect vizsla.

She has been an awesome pet already--she was basically housebroken when we got her and has been such a quick learner. She is more low-key than other vizslas seem to be (sleeping on my couch right now). Like a lot of other people--she is my first vizsla (although i grew up with weims so i am used to the high strung breeds but they really are a lot different).

I am a law student and live in Kentucky and i'll get pictures of her up as soon as possible!!!

Lauren and Ritz

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hey Lauren & Ritz,

Welcome! I actually rescued my vizsla as well from a breeder in Illinois who had too many dogs. Did you go through a vizsla rescue organization or did you just find her on your own? She actually sounds a lot like Gunner, he's fairly lazy when we're inside, but as soon as we get outdoors he's a totally different dog and acts a lot more like your typical vizsla.

Make sure you get some photos posted asap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hey Ritz,

Welcome to the forum. My pup doesn't come until May 21st; although you are making we wish he was here already.

You say you are a law student, and I am sure that takes alot of time. I am working on my PhD and do alot of research, which is pretty flexible, but I have to spend lots of time away from the house. How does it work for you taking care of your Vizsla and going to school at the same time?

It sounds like you have a good pup.!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She is a great puppy--only chewed on one rug (we salvaged it) and her toys/bed. She is very laid back in the house, but outside she is a "true" vizsla. We actually found her randomly on petfinder. The place had her listed and i was shocked to find out they had papers and everything else on her. I believe there are actually quite a few purebred vizslas listed on it--at least there were multiple when i found her.

I will get pictures up today. i am very surprised though--just moved into a new home next to a park and have been 4 other vizslas up at the park (3 owners) and have met quite a few owners when i take her places-people who say they have a vizsla as well.

It hasn't been an issue yet with balancing it because i have a close friend who has a husky so whenever he is gone i watch the husky and let the two play and he will watch ritz for me a lot during the day. she is probably only crated 1-2 hours a day. he is moving in august though so i dont know next semester will work--i am thinking i'll fence in the yard by then and have more space for her to roam during the day if i'm only gone a few hours.

lauren and ritz

1 - 4 of 4 Posts