Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
We have had Buddy now for about 6 weeks and he is 14 weeks old.
He has settled in very well, sleeping throught the night in his crate, off the leash on walks etc.
However when he is left downstairs if my wife is with the kids upstairs he wees on the kitchen or garage floor; regardless if the garden door is open or if if has just returned from outside.
He has also had a poo in the garage even if garden is open.
Any thoughts/ tips?
Many thanks
Kyle

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Buddy is still just a baby, and will be for a long time to come. At this point I wouldn't call it "vindictive" by any means. He really doesn't know what he's doing yet.

When he does something "wrong", grab a newspaper, roll it up, and smack yourself over the head with it. You weren't watching him closely enough. :D

Dogs can actually be vindictive, though. My sister once had a dog that was pretty sensitive. If she was reprimanded during the day, she would (without fail) take a poop right in front of the TV that night. This happened when the dog was well into adulthood, six or seven years old!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
I agree, 14 weeks is too young to pressure any dog into formal training. Vs are great dogs..
Buddy is not fully house trained.
All urine scent needs to be removed and I would just throw treats/his kibble on the kitchen floor so he associates the kitchen as part of the house too. I would keep him in his crate and allow for potty breaks by taking him outside. The garage is a different matter, I would keep the door closed if possible.

Too young, just baby. Enjoy every moment they grow up so fast.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I would regard it as a sign of anxiety rather than protest. It makes the dog anxious when he is left downstairs and anxiety makes the bladder contract. Because he's young, he doesn't have the sphincter control yet to counteract that. There's no intent there; it's just the brain-bladder connection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts