Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The old Godfather line got a new meaning for us. Have escaped the harsh Hungarian winters and lived in Houston for exactly 8 years (this weekend is my anniversary for moving), and there you go, we have had days of insane weather, colder than Hungary, colder than Alaska!
No power during the days (scheduled outages in our area to allow the most possible households to get some electricity) caused no heating as well. Combined with no phone signals and ice on the ground everywhere gave us the only option: some indoor play times and lots of snuggling under blankets. Boys appreciated their sweaters and outdoors thick coats. Considering circumstances they have been dealing with it really good. I increased their food despite of limited activities to cope with the coldness, and they still lost weight. I am glad this weekend`s hunt test got cancelled, we`ll need to get back in shape with them.

Attachments

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
My dogs have had mixed reviews on our weather. Shine wants to stay outside and chase the wild birds I'm feeding. June trying to figure out how to hide her bones when the ground is frozen, and covered in ice.
Jasper just takes case of business, and then straight back in the house.
Then there is Hunter. Who literally backs away from the door, when he sees snow/ice.
His motto is I can still hold it, no need to go outside. This is him this morning, when I asked who needs to go out to potty?
20210219_082320.jpg

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL, the first morning when my boys saw the snow on the back porch they both turned around from he door and came back with the same concept as Hunter:). then i took them to the front porch which is covered from above and they can just lift their leg safely onto the bushes. we use this option only when it is bad weather since our front yards are not allowed to have fencing here. sure enough Miksa at the second time ventured out to the grass, figuring the first time in his whole life how snow and icy snow feels. that was the time when i put thick coats on them and let them explore the backyard more. the real bad part is from back door to grass and coming back to the house as the porch is covered with travertine, which turns to an ice skating ring in this weather. fast forward this morning at 25 F they went out to the backyard without their coats on!, running around and chasing each other like crazy boys, had a hard time getting them back. i am guessing they could transform to winter lovers quicker than mom, haha. nevertheless when we are indoors they don`t like when it is cold, especially for sleeping.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I'm very glad to hear that both of you, and your poochies, are doing well. That's a horrible situation you have going on down there.
I hope that when it is over, FERC steps in and does a comprehensive review of the situation.
Stay warm.

Mike

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
Gunnr
As is the norm, some people have it worse than others. We were prepared, so it was more of an inconvenience. Not life-threatening in any way.
My niece runs a nonprofit organization that helps a lot of people during natural disasters.
Its Texas relief Warriors, and has got a lot of local, now national attention.
While they were getting a lot of hot meals ready to send out to people in need. She asked what she thought was one of the volunteers, to go buy more foil. He said " I am Spike with the Washington Post." I'm just surprised she did not ask, if he was still able to go get foil.
Very proud of the work she, and others have been doing.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
I probably would have given Spike some money and directions to the store. ;)

Once again, glad all is well with you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I understand that the natural gas even stopped flowing. Historically it is the most dependable utility particularly in times of natural disasters. My emergency heat and power relies on NG, makes me rethink things a bit. Be safe to everyone stuck in the vortex's grips.

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
I understand that the natural gas even stopped flowing. Historically it is the most dependable utility particularly in times of natural disasters. My emergency heat and power relies on NG, makes me rethink things a bit. Be safe to everyone stuck in the vortex's grips.
I heard that to, but we did not have a problem with our NG. The only person, I know personally that had a problem. It was with the larger gas line that went to his Generac generator. The other other gas lines to his home had no problems.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Dan

Not to get to technical here, but if the NG distribution plant loses power, NG will be knocked out to the points of service.
We lost power for 9 days about a decade ago. The big shopping center, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, and many smaller stores, had to, by local reg's, be supplied by the NG plant in town. When the NG plant went down, they had no backup generators, because the town forced them to rely on their NG.
I'm pretty sure the town got sued, because 5 years later we lost power for 8 days, and they stayed up and running on their own generators.
Two years later we lost it for 4 days in a Halloween snow storm, and my wife had enough. Now we have a whole house Generac. I personally hope I never need to use it.;)

Texas Red
Those NG lines "froze" to that Generac whole house generator. "Boyle's Law" took effect.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dan

Not to get to technical here, but if the NG distribution plant loses power, NG will be knocked out to the points of service.
We lost power for 9 days about a decade ago. The big shopping center, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, and many smaller stores, had to, by local reg's, be supplied by the NG plant in town. When the NG plant went down, they had no backup generators, because the town forced them to rely on their NG.
I'm pretty sure the town got sued, because 5 years later we lost power for 8 days, and they stayed up and running on their own generators.
Two years later we lost it for 4 days in a Halloween snow storm, and my wife had enough. Now we have a whole house Generac. I personally hope I never need to use it.;)

Texas Red
Those NG lines "froze" to that Generac whole house generator. "Boyle's Law" took effect.
I can see that If the NG station relied on grid power. From my research a large amount of NG pumping stations are self powered by the same NG, decoupling them from the grid reliance. May not be in all areas but it was in NJ. Now that we live in NC I really need to look into it here.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Dan_A
I would have thought that the NG plant would have a backup source of power also. I guess the one in our town did not. At least it didn't then. Hopefully it does now.
I work for a major northeast utility, and we put almost 2200 megawatts to the grid. It really bothers me when I read about the situation in Texas, because it is so very avoidable.
I hope those folks get back to some sense of normalcy very soon here, and the Fed's step in and put the boots to the utilities companies.

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
ERCOT had assured the governor that they were ready for the coming weather our way.
Which was clearly not the case.
In the first days of the winter storm ( I know someone) pictures were circulating between the power plant workers of fozen boilers.
I would think this, and a lot more will come out during the investigation.
This is not the first time ERCOT has failed. I'm sure the past failures to winterize, that caused problems before. Will also play a role in this failure.

·
Administrator
8,472 Posts
The silver lining for my dogs, is I was able to keep my training quail alive.
Gamebirds are nearly impossible to find this year, so the 20 I have were a priority.
Small pen with hay, light for extra warmth, and pen wrapped in tarps. Plenty of food, and I kept having to replace the frozen water.
I doubt they will fly very well now, and will all have to be used in launchers.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Texas Red
They should be okay. Quail are actually pretty hardy birds. Twenty of them should be able to covey up and stay warm.
Once the weather warms up give 'em a few days to break covey and move around. They should start going for the sources of light.
I've kept them through the winter in Connecticut before. Not ideal, but doable. If I ever do it again though, my pole barn is getting electricity. I hate dealing with frozen chicken waterers. ( Is "waterers" an actual word?);)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thinking of u all, here in Scotland it’s not the sunniest of climates but watching the news brings home just how challenging it is for u all. Stay safe and warm.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I read somewhere that in texas they mostly switched the natural gas pumping stations to be powered by the electrical grid and not on-site natural gas generators. I'm sure there was some kind of green reason for this. I'm sure they had on-site backup generators but once the fuel runs out, its game over without grid power, the NG flow stops. This has really exposed the natural gas infrastructure to a vulnerability as it seems it will now be dependent on the grid. It could be they did this in warmer states while keeping the high reliability of NG powered pumping stations in the colder climates to maintain reliability in bad weather.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts