Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago I took in a pup that was found by a family friend. Pretty sure he was dumped. Really a super sweet and intelligent boy and we are over the moon with him already. We are trying to get an idea of what his breed mix might be and I keep wondering if he’s a Vizsla mix, possibly with some pittie. I know he’s not pure cause his ears are obviously all wrong, but his personality seems pretty spot on. Since the moment we got him, he already is a Velcro dog. Even right now he’s sleeping with his head on my foot. A little reserved with new things, but quickly gains confidence. In 2.5 days he’s already mastered sit, doing really with down, and walks on a leash like a gentleman. When I picked him up, he acted like he’d never been on a leash before and had no clue at all what sit was, so really shows how smart he is. On walks outside I’ve caught him pointing three separate times. I took him to a few stores Friday to get a few things for him and several people commented that they were sure he was a lab/pit mix. I’ve owned pure labs,”pure” pits, and currently have a chocolate lab/pit mix and he looks nothing like what any of them did as a puppy, aside from a few pittie features like those crazy ears. We have no idea how old the little guy is, but he just lost his first puppy tooth Thursday evening, so I’m guessing 12-14 weeks or so. He weighs roughly 22ish pounds, though is a touch on the skinny side (ribs visible from most angles and hips sticking out a little). Anyway, since the breed isn’t that common, I figured opinions would be better from people who know the breed better so thanks in advance for your input! He does have webbed feet and a very short coat.
7C8ACBBF-90EF-4D1D-AF5E-E4C4D6746425.jpeg
454C60F0-6343-4DDD-9979-23FAECFE647E.jpeg
C79B61CA-836E-401C-BE14-878D772EC96D.jpeg
49A4BE3E-F1BC-4840-8586-9AA14088B4B3.jpeg
FD94641C-D5E2-4255-B28D-1553DB5E5A80.jpeg

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say Lab Vizla mix* i had one a long time ago...looked very similar with a smaller stockier body but Vizla colored like a vizla with the White patch just like yours.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looked them up and I could see it. Though if he is vizsla/lab someone needs to have a pep talk with him and explain that water isn’t evil 😂

·
Administrator
4,255 Posts
I agree, Viz/Lab mix/

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Admittedly it has been about 20 years since I’ve been around a purebred lab puppy, so I’m a little rusty with them. I definitely see the resemblance when I google vizsla/lab mix. Based on his color would you assume maybe a chocolate lab?

·
Administrator
4,255 Posts
could be, but I reckon the coat colour would come from the vizsla side

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
True. Just noticed most of the ones I found pictures of had some sort of influence from the lab coloring. Thought it would be funny if I managed to have two chocolate lab mixes since they aren’t that common in my area. We have mostly black labs for some reason. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Don’t know if this is scientific but I always look for the “butt swirlies” to identify a vizsla. Not sure why, but it’s one of the traits that stand out to me. So while I’m too polite to ask to see your pup’s butt, maybe you can look yourself ;)

·
Administrator
4,255 Posts
Don’t know if this is scientific but I always look for the “butt swirlies” to identify a vizsla. Not sure why, but it’s one of the traits that stand out to me. So while I’m too polite to ask to see your pup’s butt, maybe you can look yourself ;)
hahahahahha! yep, it's a giveaway :)...if you look close it looks like Jesus with his arms spread..

Reactions: Gabica

·
Registered
2 Posts
hahahahahha! yep, it's a giveaway :)...if you look close it looks like Jesus with his arms spread..
Maybe a vizsla/pittie mix? Something in his face reminds me of a pittie. What would be really cool is if you got one of those dog DNA kits(I use Embark) and that would solve the mystery!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hahaha. Now I’m trying to find pictures of Vizsla butt swirls to compare. He does have swirls back there, and they are more pronounced than the swirls my American Staffordshire Terrier has (even with their similar coat length). Don’t think either of them appreciated the butt scrutiny 😂. I am hoping to do one of the dna tests on him after the holidays. Planning to post the results in case anyone stumbles across the thread in the future and has one that looks like him. I feel like I’m seeing more pit in him as he’s gotten a little bigger. He seems to have hit a pretty good growth spurt right after we got him.

·
Administrator
4,255 Posts
here you go :)
dogbuttjesus (1).gif

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright....poor guy does not understand my sudden fascination with his butt and was very uncooperative.....so no tail up at all....but I am just not familiar enough with how they’re supposed to look so here you go. It seems like every picture I take of him he looks like a different color and has different ears.

Attachments

·
Registered
64 Posts
Alright....poor guy does not understand my sudden fascination with his butt and was very uncooperative.....so no tail up at all....but I am just not familiar enough with how they’re supposed to look so here you go. It seems like every picture I take of him he looks like a different color and has different ears. View attachment 102883
You can see his swirls but they look like a Wooley mammoth with the swirls as Eyes and the tail as its Trunk! Then the Tuft of hair above the tail like the Hairy forehead ! Hilarious!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
884 Posts
actually from the back he has much more vizsla look than from the front. lesson learned, always check a dog from the their butt side LOL.
seriously he seems to have the vizsla butt markings on the back, and also the vizsla hooks and angulations at the hind legs. having said that, hopefully a DNA test will reveal more. friend of mine have a dog which we all thought was a vizsla mix, test came back as doberman and pit mix.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
And now I can’t unsee the wooly mammoth :ROFLMAO: really can’t wait to do a dna test on him. I haven’t done one on my dogs in the past, but also had a really good idea of what they were. But he’s just so unique compared to them that I just really want to know what he is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts