Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finn and I were out yesterday working on a few things that have slipped.
Finn has decided that he doesn't have to listen, and come when called, so it was back on the check cord for him. I really thought I'd get through the season without hunting on the check cord, but, oh well. It was a good time while it lasted.
I was following Finn through the nasty stuff, as he was working a rooster pheasant. I'd heard it call and knew Finn was locking it down, but I could not get up that slippery sloped hill as fast as Finn could. I was kind of "duck walk", stooped, running up the hill, slipping on wet leaves, and moss covered rocks. I couldn't stand up.
Finn's bell went silent, and then he moved, and then silent again, so I knew the pheasant was running on the ground, and Finn was relocating with it. Next thing I know a shotgun goes off from the top of the hill, about 50'. I went running up the hill to make sure that Finn was okay, and there's a guy with the rooster.
At first I thought that Finn had busted it, and the guy was just lucky. in the right place at the right time. Then he proceeds to compliment me on Finn's work. He tells me Finn was right on the pheasant the whole time, and met him at the downed bird, after he shot it!! I was stunned!!! I really was sort of speechless. I was tired, out of breath, relieved, and I had to go back in the nasty stuff to get my shotgun.
My first priority was Finn, and I think I was just glad the idiot didn't shoot him too, so I just sort of walked away with Finn. After wards it really started to steam me. I really don't care about the pheasants. I've given away all of the birds Finn and I have taken this year, but what really started making me angry was that this guy shot the bird, without a clue to my position!! No way he could have known my position, relative to Finn and the bird!!
I love this sport/pastime. I truly do, but sometimes!!!!:mad::mad::(
For all the folks hunting here on the forum. Be safe my friends. there are folks out there, that shouldn't be out there.

I'll chose to focus on the positives for the day, or it cold ruin the whole season to date for me to dwell on it. Finn worked a rooster through some really tough cover, never lost it, didn't bust it, relocated his point only when necessary, was steady to the wing, but not so much after the shot, marked the fall in dense cover, and didn't maul the bird. Oh yeah, he had also been much, much better, on the recall and staying close. The check cord will come off, but it may be a few weeks.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
It's the biggest reasons I hunt private land.
And why I refuse to do guided hunts for some people.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Texas Red
I'm going to be looking into a couple of private shooting preserves here in New England. I think the peace of mind will be worth the seasonal cost.
Hopefully this is a "one off" experience because so far Finn's work this season, his first, has exceeded my expectations.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Glad you both are safe, yuck, this sounds upsetting and very scary.

and well, getting forward and then backwards some steps, we all have done it and will do, Finn is young, not only still learning the trade but also still developing as a dog. I know you know it and he will become a great bird dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts