Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Charlie is a cutie... congrats on your new pup.... our v's are 3 1/2 years and 12 weeks .... read, read, read on this forum and anything else you can find at your local library, bookstores, internet so you will know what to expect from your Vizlsa as he grows. Check around and see if you can find any others in your area and schedule outings with them and pick their brains for all info as well.

Life as you knew it will never be the same now that you have a V in your family! Good Luck ...... Oh noticed that you are Michigan Fans..... Dare I say GO BUCKS!!!!! We are in Central Ohio! ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
threefsh said:
Did you buy the puppy from "Petland"? They are known to sell puppies from mills... :'(

http://www.ripoffreport.com/Search/petland.aspx

I truly hope your puppy grows up healthy and free from any genetic issues. Please have a vet (not one recommended by the pet store, but one you've researched and picked yourself) check him THOROUGHLY for internal parasites, kennel cough, ear mites, etc. I would have them do a complete blood and fecal test to make absolutely sure he is healthy. Puppies from mills tend to have all sorts of health problems that may not show up right away.
Yes we got him at Pet Land, I will never get a dog from them again. We have been very happy with him. He sleeps thought the night, he goes outside. Not sure what to work on next.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
bjm442 said:
Yes we got him at Pet Land, I will never get a dog from them again. We have been very happy with him. He sleeps thought the night, he goes outside. Not sure what to work on next.
Never to early to start working on basic commands :) They learn fast!

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
BJM...

Walk him... doesn't look like the boy had a chance to stretch his legs for a while, been sitting in the showroom window waiting for you ;)... maybe you can start with that ... short trips every day a little longer.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Agree with MilesMom. Get Ian Dunbar's book Before and After getting your Puppy. Personally I found that to be an all around good read. Also 101 Dog Tricks by Kyra Sundance - she covers the basic stuff and advance tricks. I taught Kiya to sit, down, crawl, shake and High five in a week. They are very eager to learn at the young age...take advantage of that now!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Oh and also, enroll in a puppy preschool where he can be around other dogs and people! Take him to stores that are dog friendly. I think you have a Lowes Home store there..they are dog friendly. I had Kiya there the day after I got her @ 7 weeks...she got more attention from all kinds of people than I could have ever asked for!

Ok I'm done, I think! ;)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Oh and just wanted to note that Before You Get your Puppy and After you Get your Puppy by Ian Dunbar are available as free pdfs - just google. Dunbar has a lot of great advice on socializing and basic tricks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
You start out your puppy by establishing your end goal 2 years from now.
For a hunting dog prospect it's all fun and games geared at awakening the basic instincts, and throwing in "games" that will later transition to training.
Games like hide and seek with a bird wing, fetch on the kitchen floor with a rolled up pair of socks and a wing inside. Basic leash work, even though he may only take one or two correct steps. Begin the heel training by shuffling along the kitchen floor on your knees with the pup and playfully encouraging him along. There are a zillion variations to these games, but the key is understanding that you are creating a picture in his mind. Each picture becomes a series of pictures and over time he puts the pictures together in a sequence that is a patterned response. When it clicks, in year or so, it's incredible. A light just turns on in their eyes, and "they get it".
Training for a bird dog starts on day one.
The first few weeks though, he does nothing wrong. Every success, no matter how small, or brief has to become the biggest thing in the world. Every failure is ended with a laugh, some playtime and affection. Design the games to ensure his success, and never end on a bad note.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Re: Re: Pet store puppy

Gunnr said:
You start out your puppy by establishing your end goal 2 years from now.
For a hunting dog prospect it's all fun and games geared at awakening the basic instincts, and throwing in "games" that will later transition to training.
Games like hide and seek with a bird wing, fetch on the kitchen floor with a rolled up pair of socks and a wing inside. Basic leash work, even though he may only take one or two correct steps. Begin the heel training by shuffling along the kitchen floor on your knees with the pup and playfully encouraging him along. There are a zillion variations to these games, but the key is understanding that you are creating a picture in his mind. Each picture becomes a series of pictures and over time he puts the pictures together in a sequence that is a patterned response. When it clicks, in year or so, it's incredible. A light just turns on in their eyes, and "they get it".
Training for a bird dog starts on day one.
The first few weeks though, he does nothing wrong. Every success, no matter how small, or brief has to become the biggest thing in the world. Every failure is ended with a laugh, some playtime and affection. Design the games to ensure his success, and never end on a bad note.
Post of the year. Love your work.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I see the Michigan apparel in the background of the pictures.

As a fellow Michigan fan you now the Chris Perry of dogs. Please enjoy! :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, with everything being said. I think you should pass the word on and not buy from this Breeder...

Maureen Moeller
P.O. Box 276
West Point, IA 52656
USDA # 42-A-1362

That is where Charlie come from. Since Charlie was at the pet store for 7 weeks the price was $699. Plus all his shots are done and we got a free visit to the local vet. I have to resize the picture and i will put them up.

On a side note... We were at the pet store to price out food, toys, etc.. We know a breeder for goldens and was going to get one in April. But that day we came home with him.
Hello,

I realize this is an old post, but I am hoping to reach out to you about your experience with breeder Maureen Moeller. Please reply.

·
Administrator
8,044 Posts
@ala93

There are a lot of puppy mills in West Point, IA
The area Vizlsa rescue is who I would reach out to.
They probably know her better than they would like too.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts