Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1 yr old V had serious allergic reaction over a month ago with unknown cause. Hives have persisted around neck and dorsolateral back, less severe but still noticeable and now with hair loss and flaky, dry skin. Have seen vet and tried steroids. Steroids only helped shortly and never fully resolved hives. Started fish oil supplement and sardines twice weekly. Any other solutions and remedies welcome!

·
Registered
79 Posts
My Vizla Kody had started to lose his hair near his ears on his head and got spotty on his back. You could pet him and hair would just pull away. We got him checked for mites....nothing was found. My BAE and I both thought it was sebaceous Adentitis....decided to treat on our own with a Can of Tuna with olive oil for breakfast and dinner with his normal food along with primrose oil pills....cod liver oil and triple omega 3-6-9 pills with each meal. Gave it a month and saw results and his coat is back to normal and as pretty as ever. He doesn't shed a lot anymore either even when you really pet him and give him some scratches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My Vizla Kody had started to lose his hair near his ears on his head and got spotty on his back. You could pet him and hair would just pull away. We got him checked for mites....nothing was found. My BAE and I both thought it was sebaceous Adentitis....decided to treat on our own with a Can of Tuna with olive oil for breakfast and dinner with his normal food along with primrose oil pills....cod liver oil and triple omega 3-6-9 pills with each meal. Gave it a month and saw results and his coat is back to normal and as pretty as ever. He doesn't shed a lot anymore either even when you really pet him and give him some scratches.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you see any side effects with that high of fat diet? And how long did you continue this regiment after noticing an improvement?

·
Registered
79 Posts
It was about 2 months when the results were clear. No side effects were seen. We used Tuna with olive oil By starkist. Along with primrose oil....3-6-9 omega fish oil gels and cod liver oil gels.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It was about 2 months when the results were clear. No side effects were seen. We used Tuna with olive oil By starkist. Along with primrose oil....3-6-9 omega fish oil gels and cod liver oil gels.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk
How did you determine your dose for the fish oil and cod liver oil gels?

·
Administrator
8,419 Posts
It's completely normal for them to have hair loss after having hives. Even had one have hair loss from a bee sting. The hair loss is just due to the quick swelling of the area.
If the bump turns crusty after the the swelling goes down, your going to see flaky skin.
Some dogs get skin infections after an allergic reaction. My go to has been adding fish oil to the diet. Bathing with miconahex + triz, and adding a antibiotic if I felt it was needed.
If he keeps getting reoccurring hives, then start trying to eliminate thing from his diet.
Wipe him down after outings , and use a baby detergent to wash all of his things and be sure to rinse them twice.

·
Registered
2 Posts
1 yr old V had serious allergic reaction over a month ago with unknown cause. Hives have persisted around neck and dorsolateral back, less severe but still noticeable and now with hair loss and flaky, dry skin. Have seen vet and tried steroids. Steroids only helped shortly and never fully resolved hives. Started fish oil supplement and sardines twice weekly. Any other solutions and remedies welcome! View attachment 103052 View attachment 103053
We had a similar experience (pretty identical to your picture) with our vizsla at 11 months. The vet said it was basically “puppy pimples” that go away as their immune systems mature. We noticed that the “break outs” occurred more frequently when he was playing with dogs for an extended amount of time and they were very active. (Maybe from sweating?) the bumps did go away when he hit 13 months . I started washing him down with a wet wash cloth with an antibacterial soap and used coconut oil on him (topically), I can’t say for certain that it worked as the bumps would come and go...but I did think that it was helping. These were suggestions I read online. Keep us posted!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts