Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 9 week old pup Mac is coming along so well. In the last couple of days though I have noticed that if I ask him to do something he isn't keen on or tell him 'no' to something he is doing he now uses avoidance techniques like going to get a drink of water or laying down and licking one of his back legs. The more worrying technique though is he will walk off and without warning wee on the kitchen floor.
Any thoughts on why he is doing this? Is it normal that Vizsla pups use avoidance when asked to do something or have I just got a tricky character. I just want to make sure that I am not asking too much of him. The last thing that caused him to wee on the floor was when asking him to go to his 'bed' which is what I call his crate. I do this in a calm way and I know he knows the command as he often goes straight in with no problem but if he is not feeling like going in the crate or listening to a repeated 'no' command if doing something he shouldn't he will often act like he has an itch or as stated walk off and wee. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
My only thought is that he is still very, very young -- just a baby, really. He probably doesn't understand a whole lot of what you say. It's just so much babbling to him. Time and patience will fix this.

·
Registered
2,981 Posts
If this is your first puppy than you're in for some interesting times. These pups are smart and headstrong at times. Too young to discipline at this time. Clean up the mess and smile, you are bonding with him.

They pee when waking up from nap, shortly after eating/drinking, and after exercise ---> roughly every 30 minutes he need to be carried outside.
The avoidance thing you mention is normal.

1. Puppy needs a crate, wire crate is OK too. They need it and so do you. Crate is like a den to them.
-place him inside and leave him there. Take him outside every 30 min to pee/poo.
-take him out side before playing and even if he doesn't pee/poo repeat every 30 min.
-slowly increase the time between outings to 40, 60, 2 hr....

Enjoy your puppy because they grow so fast....New challenges lie ahead.

·
Registered
223 Posts
try to limit your use of the word no. Instead try to preempt his moves. If you see that he looks like he is about to jump, ask for a behavior that makes that impossible (sit, etc). When he goes for something you don't want him to play with, redirect and redirect some more to constantly reinforce what's fair to play with and what's off limits. It feels so ineffective in the moment, but they start to get it over time. Try to reserve "no" for the you immediately need to convey that absolutely positively not cases. Most of all, try to stay calm and keep a calm voice during these moments.

·
Registered
799 Posts
The avoidance behavior had another post on it sometime in the past - but I don't remember weeing listed as one of the behaviors. You may want to try the search function.

Savannah will act like she has an itch or go into a long stretch if she doesn't want to do something. Usually it is when I tell her to 'load up' before she is ready to leave or go 'inside'.

·
Registered
842 Posts
At 9 weeks procrastination is probably just a coincidence. Mine is an expert procrastinator but, he didn't start until 4 or 5 months. ::) Read up on crate training. If the floor is not properly cleaned, and still has even a slight odor of urine, he will keep peeing on it and think it is OK to do so. As stated, read ALL the posts on crate training and be consistent. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts