Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly thank you to all of the contributors, this forum is amazing and alleviating many of my concerns!
We picked up Åse at 8 weeks and she is now nearly 11 - she is amazing (if not trying at times 😀) - one thing I struggle with is she clearly gets over tired and then her piranha tendencies are terrible!

I am trying to do 30 mins of activity and then down time to get in the 18 is hours of suggested sleep a day, from Monday I am back to work (from home) so she will have less of my dedicated time (every minute!!) than she has had over the our first 3 weeks together and I really want to make sure I do the best thing for her to be happy and healthy.

We have a crate in a playpen in the lounge where she sleeps really well through the night and plays solo but when she is bitey I shut her in there for her to calm down and get some clearly needed shut eye, she jumps at the sides barks and whines and sometimes the only way I can get her to relax is putting her in the crate with door closed and cover over the front - this usually works and after some complaining she is flat out in 10 mins for an hour ish.

2 main concerns are I don’t want her playpen to become a negative area but when she is wild It seems to most sensible way to contain her, secondly and on a similar vein she has been so good with the crate how do I ensure it stays a safe and comfortable place for her to go?

The treat wizard visits regularly to hide little bits of tastyness and I ensure she has been out to do all required business and had as much exercise as I am allowed to give her before shutting the gate - any ideas suggestions or just comforting words would be fabulous

Thank you so much and happy new year to you, your families and doglets :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
2 main concerns are I don’t want her playpen to become a negative area but when she is wild It seems to most sensible way to contain her, secondly and on a similar vein she has been so good with the crate how do I ensure it stays a safe and comfortable place for her to go?
Do you have some kind of a safe room to put her in when she is crazy? Then after 10-30 seconds let her out and put her (or lure her with a treat) in a crate to let her rest. And if you want to ensure the crate stays a safe place you need to make sure that everything good happens in her crate. Feed her there, give her KONGs in there, carrots, chews... Also, you can play crate games with her every so often to ensure that it's her safe spot. Here are the links to games:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts