Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all..... so thank you to everyone who replied to my original post.
So I have been making sure Otto is tiered before bed time. I’ve put a cover over his crate but it’s just not working. I’m still on the couch in the same room as him as I don’t want the crate in the bedroom.
As mentioned before he is quite happy in his crate in the day. I am able to shut the gate when he is asleep without any issues. When he does fall asleep at bedtime I wait a while so that he is settled and then close it. If he does wake he starts the usual whining but I don’t let it get to the barking.
I pick him up and put him out, don’t talk to him only good if he’s had a wee, then back in, settle and by the time I’m back on the couch he statrts again. Last night/ early morning after 3 events he was understanding that he was going to be put out and would curl up. Again back on the couch and he would start.
There house is the most time I get to rest and I’m up with him again.ive been on the couch now since bringing him home on the 23rd of December. Am I doing everything wrong?

·
Administrator
9,060 Posts
I don’t wait until the puppy is asleep to close the crate door. I just put them in with a small favorite treat.

·
Registered
Ellie
414 Posts
I would leave the puppy out with you until you go to sleep. Most likely they are sleeping on you or the couch with you while you are up watching TV or whatnot. When you go to bed is when you start his ritual for bedtime. Potty, kennel command with a favorite treat as a reward for going in the kennel. Close the gate and you go to your bedroom for the night. Ignore any cries or barks. If he cries in the middle of the night for potty, get up, no emotion, no fun... just bring him out to potty and right back in the kennel. No treat this time it is pure potty business and everyone goes back to bed. He may cry a lot again, just ignore it. Rinse and repeat. Eventually he will be able to sleep the night without potty, and automatically go into the kennel when you start the bedtime ritual. Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our Sully was a monster for the first few weeks, a few things that seemed to help were a warm water bottle (a Nalgene) wrapped in a towel (someone told us to simulate sleeping next to their sibling), an old shirt that smelled like one of us, and fully covering the crate. Still took a few weeks before the howling stopped but at a year and a half she sleeps in her crate every night downstairs without a noise unless there is a true emergency.

Good Luck, not envious of you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all..... so thank you to everyone who replied to my original post.
So I have been making sure Otto is tiered before bed time. I’ve put a cover over his crate but it’s just not working. I’m still on the couch in the same room as him as I don’t want the crate in the bedroom.
As mentioned before he is quite happy in his crate in the day. I am able to shut the gate when he is asleep without any issues. When he does fall asleep at bedtime I wait a while so that he is settled and then close it. If he does wake he starts the usual whining but I don’t let it get to the barking.
I pick him up and put him out, don’t talk to him only good if he’s had a wee, then back in, settle and by the time I’m back on the couch he statrts again. Last night/ early morning after 3 events he was understanding that he was going to be put out and would curl up. Again back on the couch and he would start.
There house is the most time I get to rest and I’m up with him again.ive been on the couch now since bringing him home on the 23rd of December. Am I doing everything wrong?
[/QUO

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know you do not want a crate in your bedroom but it would make your pup a lot calmer knowing you are close by. Also you might want to take a piece of clothing you wore and put it in his crate, this will also make him feel like you are there.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you to everyone for your help...... so last night.... tried the cold shoulder with Otto.
Bed at 11pm and went to my bed not the couch.
He howled whined for a total of 5 1/2 hours. Only got up at 2.30 for toilet and back in his crate.
So ........ today I’ve moved his crate into our second bedroom which is where I will sleep, and brought in my larger crate and placed that in the lounge for the day.
I hope this works as I’m absolutely shattered but it is what it is.
Fingers crossed for me tonight 🙏🏻

·
Registered
Ellie
414 Posts
Thank you to everyone for your help...... so last night.... tried the cold shoulder with Otto.
Bed at 11pm and went to my bed not the couch.
He howled whined for a total of 5 1/2 hours. Only got up at 2.30 for toilet and back in his crate.
So ........ today I’ve moved his crate into our second bedroom which is where I will sleep, and brought in my larger crate and placed that in the lounge for the day.
I hope this works as I’m absolutely shattered but it is what it is.
Fingers crossed for me tonight 🙏🏻
Keep up with it and be consistent. We were zombies for a few weeks during this process with Ellie. It was basically a living **** of sorts lol. Some pups catch on quickly, others unfortunately take more time. Sleeping in the same room is very helpful. Purchase some foam earplugs, they help!

·
Registered
20 Posts
The steps Dan outlined is the exact approach I followed and it worked great for us. It was hard and Alvin did cry non stop for a number of nights, but eventually he understood and got into the routine. Stick to it and you'll get there with Otto! Good luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know you do not want a crate in your bedroom but it would make your pup a lot calmer knowing you are close by. Also you might want to take a piece of clothing you wore and put it in his crate, this will also make him feel like you are there.
We had our pup in our room (in a crate) for the first few weeks. Now the crate is directly outside our bedroom door. Weirdly, our dog settles well at night in the crate but absolutely hates it during the day.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts