Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 5 month old V (Moose) is generally very good walking and even off leash. Checks with me, and while gets the sprints/zoomies, stays within 30 feet of me. Occasionally he wants to run to meet another dog, but he's learned over the past month that he's not as big as he thinks and not all dogs are friendly (lol) and he should check with me first.

My question is how to handle other dogs who are off leash and approach my Moose. Over the past 2 weeks we've been walking, both on a short and long line leash I've brought up upon sighting the other dog, when another dog has approached. One has been genuinely friendly and they had a ball playing. The other 90% have scared my Moose enough to bolt or it's clear they have aggression issues. Large, medium, small, toy breed, doesn't matter. If they come sprinting at Moose, he runs away, which honestly I'm supportive of his protective instincts. He always comes back to me when I call. (I only let off leash away from any roads).

I feel this situation is unavoidable, so asking advice on how prevent/manage/react. I don't take him to dog parks. These are trails or open fields. 10% owners are apologetic. other 90% think it's completely OK and even laughing at my poor pup running away, including jumping over stone walls to escape their f-ing yapping mutt with sharp teeth. My pup has not an aggressive bone in his body, but these other dogs... I don't trust them.

Advice welcome. How can I avoid these confrontations? I don't have a yard, so need to get my boy some off leash activity. I try off times, but there's always someone. Honestly, my recent method has been to let go of the leash and let Moose out run the other dog rather than restrain him giving the other loose dog the advantage.

·
Administrator
9,229 Posts
Its bad, but we really can not control the public, or how they handle their dogs.
The most we can do is try to learn the offenders schedule, and have our pups out at a different time.
There is a company called Sniffspot. People list their fenced yards, acreage, or pools for rent by the hour. It’s give you a safe option, to get your pup out in new places to play.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
At 5 months old, Aly's interaction with other dogs was highly controlled. We were approaching a potential fear stage and I wanted to ensure she didn't have a bad experience.

She was given zero off-leash proximity to unfamiliar dogs.

Off-leash walks in state parks occurred at ungodly early hours.

I will say, Aly benefitted from the COVID hysteria she grew up thru. There was much less people (and dogs) out and about.

As Aly got a little older and we began experiencing proximity to unfamiliar dogs who were off leash, I was 100% of the same mindset you described at the end of your post. If Aly was leashed, she was immediately taken off it. I was confident if an off-leash aggressive dog came at Aly, she could outrun it! LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its bad, but we really can not control the public, or how they handle their dogs.
The most we can do is try to learn the offenders schedule, and have our pups out at a different time.
There is a company called Sniffspot. People list their fenced yards, acreage, or pools for rent by the hour. It’s give you a safe option, to get your pup out in new places to play.
Great advice...unfortunately there are ZERO spots more than 0.2 acres (!) and ZERO fenced areas within 50 miles of me. More people need to learn about this and try to make a buck by renting out their extra acre of land!

·
Registered
Ellie
534 Posts
As others said. 5 month old should not be randomly interacting with off leash dogs. If unleashed dogs are the norm for the locations that you want to take your pup, all you can do is try to work with it, you aren't going to change other owners. I suggest looking for schools grounds after-hours. Many schools have surrounding woods that are "school property" hence usually open for public use after school hours as long as you aren't causing problems on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts