Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am a first time vizsla owner and have a 4 1/2 month male named Moose. Overall, everything he's exhibited seems pretty normal for a vizsla his age based on what I've read (including on this forum!) and I know the things we need to work on training. However, the one thing I'm truly confused by is that he only pees in his crate... He's been otherwise housebroken since 12 weeks, only the occasional accident through 14 months when he got super excited playing, only ever pee -- he hasn't gone #2 inside since he was 9 weeks.

However, without fail, whenever I put him in his crate to nap and leave, I come back to find a wet blanket bunched in the corner. I only crate him 0-2x day, each only for 2-3 hours while I do errands or go for a long walk/run. I introduced the crate to him since I brought him home at 8 weeks, feeding him meals in there, incorporating into play, training with treats. I cover with a blanket. He only goes in after he's exercised, played, potties and eaten -- often he willingly climbs in and lies down on his own to rest (after I coax him to it and let him know it's ok to rest!). When I come home and open the crate he is lying down, silent, not barking or whining or howling (like week 9!) and I don't make a fuss closing or opening the crate. So I don't think it's separation anxiety -- I even let him take a nap on the sofa for 2 hours the other day while I left to test it. He was out cold after a play date and woke just as I was walking in (I have a baby monitor I checked every 5-10 minutes). No accident, didn't notice I was gone.

I'm just stumped! I know he's a puppy still and doesn't do anything intentionally, but wondering why he might be doing this or how to train to stop it. He knows to go potty outside, so I don't get why he'd go inside his crate where he eats and sleeps! And the crate is a life stages one that I have intentionally sized just large enough for him to turn around and lie down - it's not big enough to have a pee area inside!

Only thing I'm thinking is leaving the crate uncovered and pointing the camera on it to see when he pees...but not covering it might increase his anxiety if that is a factor. Any tips welcome, including whether it's something he might just grow out of!

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Some people have had a improvement by removing the blankets for a while.

Reactions: Dan_A

· Registered
Ellie
620 Posts
100% agree with others. Remove the blanket. Had this problem with our past dog. We couldnt leave anything soft in her kennel at first. They learn that it absorbs the pee and won't bother them by shoving in a corner. Without the blanket the pee will run all over and your pup will hate it and never do it again. Their own urine is radioactive to them, as their instincts drive them that their prey will be alerted to their scent if it is all over them.

· Registered
1 Posts
Our Valli (Golden Retriever) just turned 5 months and has been house-broken almost since he came "home" to us. But the very few pee accidents he's had have been in his crate. We asked a private trainer what was happening and she suggested that he felt this was HIS space, as opposed to ours. He felt it was safer to make a pee there than where it would possibly get him in trouble. I can assure you he was never yelled at for an accident because he rarely had them and only when we weren't watching or listening for the signs (so it was our own fault). Just thought I'd add this possibility to why your little one only uses his crate. The good news is that the time you've read this, he's fully house-broken and the problem is ancient history,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts