Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My Ella turned one back in November and I am now considering getting another puppy. I really think she would enjoy having a playmate and would benefit from having a sister around. My husband and I work from home all day and even though we are around, we don't have time to constantly entertain her, which she would like. She loves to play! She gets up at 8, does her business and first thing, wants to eat and play. When the weather is nice enough (Months April - November) she's walked in the morning, but she still wants to play. So of course, I play with her. She loves for me to throw her ball and she chases after it, but sometimes she just wants to wrestle lol. This is where a lot of times when she wants this interaction (my husband does this not me and she just loves it) I think another dog would be perfect. I also think just that interaction to another dog would be very enjoyable to her. She is very entertained when she gets to go play with her cousins (dogs) and is constantly trying to play with our 13-year-old kitty (who wants nothing to do with her).

My other question is if this would help with separation anxiety, if we go away on vacation. We went away for 3 days, Ella was HOME with our daughter, and she did not do well, by the third day she got sick, had some seizure like activity and we thought she was really ill. We had my brother-in-law rush over and as soon as he showed up, she was perfectly fine! She had been laying around the entire day, sulking, sad, the seizure activity and BAM it was like someone flipped a switch. He suggested it was separation anxiety and the vet (after seeing her and running tests) also suggested a possible cause because nothing else was showing up.

My also thought is another pup would help expend some energy during the day. We do a lot of hiking and take her walking, but we don't always get to have her off the leash running, and I know how important that is. Our weather can get in the negative numbers and even though I have many jackets, hoods, booties, she's just not having it. She does not enjoy that cold weather. I don't blame her, either do I! I'm waiting for our back woods to fill with snow and the ground to freeze (it gets wet back there) so we can suit up and go explore and she can run as it's blocked by trees to protect us from the wind, she loved it last year as a young pup. I want to make sure I'm providing every avenue and option I can for her. We also do a lot of training and mental stimulation. For some reason in my heart, I feel like another puppy would be a welcome addition for her for sure and for our family, but I want to make sure it would be of more benefit and make sense.

Looking for any thoughts! Anyone that made the choice to get another pup as a playmate, has it helped your first dog, outcome so far, etc etc! Tell me! Thank you!!! :)

-Elizabeth

·
Administrator
9,060 Posts
While two is a lot more fun, the puppy would be a lot of extra work. As you need to work with the puppy separately from from Ella. Plus the puppy will not be able to keep up with Ella, and you need to oversee their wrestling games. While not meaning to, some dogs play to rough for puppies. My advice is only get one, if you want it for you, and have extra hours in the day to work with it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Texasred! Absolutely understand. I completely understand and am thinking long term, nothing immediate for her that's for sure. I'm hoping in 8 mos-1 year they will be in a good state together. That's why I didn't want to wait too long, as Ella is getting older. When I had my kids, I waited 7 years in between and forgot how hard it was to take care of a baby lol. It hasn't been long enough for me to forget how much work and dedication it takes to raise a puppy, so I'm still in game mode. All in ready to go. Plus, we got Ella in the dead of winter which made things even more difficult for us, we are really hoping to get a new puppy in the spring/early summer, so we have all the good weather for the hardest months! You bring up an excellent point and that is both pups will need equal time. My husband and I will definitely need to come up with a plan of attack, who is going to do what. Training the puppy, making time for Ella equally and allowing them time to get to know each other while overseeing their time together. One thing is for sure, I would never get a puppy just for Ella because that would not be fair to the pup. I, myself would absolutely LOVE another one. How could I not? Even though they are so much work in the beginning, those sweet eyes, kisses and unconditional love is all worth it. We are not 100% sure yet, but I think we are wanting to get a GSP. I've talked to a couple breeders and they both say it's an excellent match. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Look at a Braques Francais. A Vizsla of a different color.
Looks a lot like a GSP but smaller..
Long lead times to get a pup.

My wife and I are thinking.

·
Registered
Ellie
414 Posts
GSP and V’s are at the top of the charts for energy. I say if you have the resources and time to devote the energy needed to have them both it would be a hoot.

I caution ;however, that they may not keep each other busy if that is the goal. You may have two dogs vying for your attention equally instead. Something to keep in mind.

·
Administrator
4,358 Posts
I have 3 dogs, 2 wirehaired vizslas and a 6 month old pup that is half whv, quarter german wirehaired pointer and quarter bracco italiano,,,,I question my sanity at times

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have on two occasions had two Vizsla’s at the same time. It was a riot, and a blast. Neither time was it planned.
The boys were about 10 months apart, and were non stop buddies from moment one. Both had excellent personalities and they definitely kept each other entertained. Silkcut was the older, and I actually got him the day I went to pick out a 4 week old puppy who would become Rush.
While at the breeders to pick out a puppy,she told me she had an 8 month old that never got placed, but she thought I’d like him. I did! Silkcut came home with us that day, and we went back to pick Rush up a month later.
They used to sound like demon possessed Banshee’s when the wrestled and “mock fought”, but they never once hurt each other. They were my mountain biking, and hunting partners for a decade. They worked very well together in the woods.
When I had two girls they were about 11 months apart. I didn’t again intend to have two, but Gunnr’s owner, and breeder, passed away, and “through the network” I now had two girl dogs. They got along extremely well, slept together, played together and were a joy around the house.
I Couldn’t take them out together though. Gunnr was a really big running dog for a Vizsla, and required a constantly attentive hand in the field. Tika did not really like being in the woods and stayed very close. Those two opposites, just weren’t compatible.
Two dogs absolutely work. It takes a commitment on the owners part to ensure that the training is carried through for both dogs, but you will find it very eerie, how two Vizsla’s will all of the sudden begin to function as a team.
My two boys were very well matched in the field, and were a very efficient hunting pair. They did some strange moves together while hunting.Scary communication between those two. They knew what they were doing.
Two dogs work. 😁

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
I have 3 dogs, 2 wirehaired vizslas and a 6 month old pup that is half whv, quarter german wirehaired pointer and quarter bracco italiano,,,,I question my sanity at times

Harrigab
Are you familiar with the canine Rules of Chaos?
If the number of dogs, exceeds the number of adults ,in the house, chaos ensues. ;)
I bet you wouldn’t trade having those three whirling dervishes for the world.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts