Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all,

I need some eyes on my 2 yr old female. Her occipital bone/bump in the past 1/2 yr has gotten much more pronounced along with an arch in her back. She is quite thin, but we have always struggled with keeping weight on her. She weighs between 47-48 lbs.

I am trying to get into a vet to get her checked but was curious if anyone else has a pup with these issues? I am hoping to be well informed when going into the vet vs just following what they say/recommend. We had a bit of a negative experience with the vet and spaying her at 6 mo, which later we found out is not ideal. The decision was made after a lot of research also and finding many pro/cons with no definitive way to go about it so we went ahead and spayed her at 6 mo. Which, now I wish we would not have. Some assumptions are that early spaying caused her hips to grow at an abnormal angle hence the arch in her back and poor fusing of her skull bones.

Any experiences or thoughts are appreciated

Thanks!

Hand Shoe Leg Comfort Wood
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Collar Liver
Dog Dog breed Working animal Collar Liver
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Working animal Window

·
Administrator
9,323 Posts
I would not be to concerned about the head shape. Look into a good chiropractor for the roached back.

Reactions: organicthoughts

·
Administrator
9,323 Posts
Ask your vet, and some of the agility people in your area. You want one that has a good reputation.
I’m very lucky to have a top animal Chiropractor in my area. When just mentioned by her first name, everyone in the dog world knows exactly who she is.

Reactions: Gabica

·
Administrator
9,323 Posts
She’s thin, but not horribly underweight.
Hips still look like they have some cover over them. The roached back is going to make a thin dog, look thinner. You definitely don’t want her to lose any weight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My intact 15-month-old male also has an arched back. According to "The Vizsla" by Bernard C. Boggs, it is a conformation issue (See Sketch 5). My boy is also small and thin for a male (48 lbs)- and I feed him a lot!
Dog Dog breed Carnivore Jaw Fawn

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
My intact 15-month-old male also has an arched back. According to "The Vizsla" by Bernard C. Boggs, it is a conformation issue (See Sketch 5). My boy is also small and thin for a male (48 lbs)- and I feed him a lot! View attachment 104182

it is possible for him to grow into the correct conformation unless he has structural issues and if he is still intact. at 15 months they are often still growing, that is why exams like OFA hip and elbow exams can only be done once they turn 2 years old.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your thoughts and advice on this. We have been addressing some anxiety issues with her by giving her Bachs rescue remedy for dogs and when she is calmer her back settles down and relaxes and her arch goes away!

Still a bit worried that we caused structure or bone/plate growth issues by spaying her too early at 6mo. To be honest I have the vet blaming the breeder and the breeder blaming the vet for when she got spayed.
What but the breeder didn’t provide us information about best practices and I really trust our vet. Let’s just hope there won’t be long term quality of life issues because of spaying her at 6mo and her growing taller and long because of it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts