Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I joined the vizsla forums a few months back but only just came to posting an introduction! Nuala is my 7month old vizsla, she has a beautiful tanned rust coat and leggy long legs. However she is super, super shy around strangers and in unfamiliar places. I only realized truly how shy she was when I had to carry (keep in mind she’s 20kg45pounds) her into her daycare center because she wouldn’t jump out of the car. I’m looking for any suggestions to help with her timidity.

Thankyou!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Does she like treats? Take her favorite with u (or toy, whatever is her motivator) and bring her to new places, identifying the new place with something very positive. Take it slow and watch how much she can take. Could be only several minutes at a time at the beginning and slowly increasing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have some experience with this having had a very sensitive V.

What you need to help her with is her confidence. Exposing her to as many different people and experiences, making sure all the experiences are positive is the best help you can give her. And it's important to do this when she's still young.Taking it slowly not to overwhelm her.

I hadn't realised how important this is and as a consequence my V became very fearful of many things. For example although I took her to work with me every day where she met people, other dogs and horses it was the same experience for her every day. When I took her on a new walk with cows in the field she hide under a thick hedge shaking with fear because of the cows.

The good news here is that with gentle exposure even phobias can be overcome. She became indifferent to cows, took years! And her life long vet phobia was overcome in the last year of her life with her being hand fed chicken by the vets when she had to stay overnight.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts