Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!!
We are having the exact opposite of a Velcro dog out in public We take her to dogs parks, fenced in fields, open fields etc. and she NEVER comes when called. I swear its like she knows if she comes near me its time to take her home and she wants nothing to do with that! I am at my wits end. The dog park is the worst. Yesterday she took another dogs frisbee and I couldn't get near her to get it back.

The trainer we are working with suggested bringing a lot of GOOD treats to the park and the first time she comes over to me treat her repeatedly with exaggerated excitement (like she is the best dog in the world). Even if she knows I have treats, she could care less about them.

I usually have to run away and get her to chase me to even get her attention sometimes.
She will be 7 months in a few days. . . I'm just waiting for the proverbial light bulb! Any suggestions as to how to get that light bulb on would be great!
Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hmmm - well Ziva is 8 months now and when we're at the dog park I can hardly get her away from me. She goes out to play and then repeatidly comes back to check on me, running off to play again, repeat the above process a hundred times. Then when we get ready to leave I just have to call her name and say "let's go" and she runs right for the gate.

I would say your trainer has the right idea. Take some kind of great treats she really enjoys... each time you can get her to come, praise her like crazy and give her the yummy item, then send her off to play again, repeat this process.... so she's never quite sure when she comes if it means a great treat or it's time to go. And of course treat her right out the gate.

You may need to try this at home with a 20 or 30 foot long lead, calling her to you, treating her and then sending her off to play at the end of the lead and start there. You really need to work at it and make yourself more interesting than what she's doing and form a tighter bond with her. All pups and dogs are different and it just takes repetition and patience. Hang in there and just keep at it. ;)

·
Registered
119 Posts
I also take Clyde to dog parks and he comes to me when I call him, Granted we are usually there for a very long time. Treats are good, the only bad thing is that you will likely be malled by several other dogs. I think Gunnr once told me, when you are having trouble, go back to the basics. There have been several phases in Clydes young life that we go back to walking around the block with the check cord because he has decided he does not have to follow the rules any longer. As a matter of fact that is where we are at right now.
Most of the winter he has been going to the dog park, where he has had very few rules or limits. Lately it has been gorgeous and when I went to take him for a leisurely walk he was obnoxious! So, for now..no more dog park we spend our afternoons learning how to behave again!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Oh remmy600! those days I remember them well, I used to swear blind that every time I shouted Scooby to come to me he'd look around as if to say 'whats she spotted that I've missed' It was a nightmare every time we let him off, my main worry was kids, he loves them but not every one appreciated a 6mth V charging full pelt towards them ! ??? But we persisted with pockets full of cooked chicken ( he was given some before we let him so he knew what we had with us ) and stopped shouting him whilst he was playing with other dogs (it was a waste of breath) but used to look for a break in the play and TRY and get his attention then and stand with arms wide open with a very over exaggerated voice Cheerfully call him, it didn't always work !! but he got to about 7 1/2 mths when every thing fell into place, and now he's fab! most of the times he won't run up to a dog unless he gets the release command.
So hang on in there and she will come back :)

Attachments

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Glad to hear its not just me! I think the nice weather has her energy even higher!! I get frustrated because she is so velcro in the house (she is actually sharing the kitchen chair with me as I type). So I know our bond is strong, it just seems she is very willful and independent outdoors.

Islander-- that is so funny about Ziva. Remmy met another V that was the same age last week. Ziva sounds just like that pup. Remmy was running around so dominantly/independently and this other pup kept hanging out near his owners!! I kept thinking. . .wow that must be nice! She never wants me too far away though. If I get far away she takes a full sprint at me, she just doesn't get within an arms length!

Back to the basics makes sense. . .keep the good advice coming!!! I will keep working with her. I totally agree about treats at the dog park, so I have been trying that when she's off lead without other dogs around but she still doesn't really respond. Will try the long lead next! Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
HA - have to laugh also about Remmy sitting in the chair with you.. that's the way it is around here most of the time. And if my husband sits on the stool in the living room to put on his shoes Ziva gets on the stool and drapes herself over his back and shoulders. I guess in the house we are the most interesting thing for them and then get them outside and it's - love ya mom - love ya dad but I've got places to go, things to do and people to meet! hehehehe

When on occasion I do let Ziva loose here in our yard (not fenced) but we live on a cul de sac street .... well she runs like mad and then starts zipping over into our neighbors back yard and then into the Mangroves behind our house that grow into the canal that leads to the back bay. And when she gets in the Mangroves - Oh heavens... she comes out covered with black stinky muck - but looking like she just won the lottery she's so happy ... And when she starts that welllll - I really need to just let her burn off steam for a few minutes before I even think of calling her back to me ... then I entice her with a treat ... give it to her and send her off for a bit more play or she will do what you say Remmy does... comes but just stays just out of reach until she is the one that is ready to come in! But I just keep working with her, thinking one of these days the puppy syndrome might subside and she becomes the perfect little angel we would like her to be - with a little devil peeking out ever so often ;)

·
Registered
186 Posts
Yup we have similar issues ... but they are getting better.

We tried 2 training techniques that are yielding change. First, we bought a 30 ft leash (not a retractable one). We trained our V to sit / stay / come on it ... treats definitely help motivate him 30 feet is long enough to give the dog some freedom with the ability to reign him in for correction. We also use an e-collar on him. Our V was field trained to hunt and was trained on it by a professional who gave us some tips. This is a controversial method - but if used properly it can help the most stubborn dog respond to your voice command.

Although I never fear our V running off and never coming back - he always checks in - for his safety and others - we need him to come when he's told. He's gotten off his leash a few times at the house and my heart drops with fear that he'll run into the street. In the field he's a different dog - less distractions I guess.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Hi Remmy,

I understand that this post is from quite awhile ago...but my Coya (9 mo) is having the same issue. I'm just wondering if things with your pup got any better?

Thanks!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi, just thought i'd add to this post as i am going through similar poblems with my one year old pup Brodi. when we go to the fileds/woods as soon as Brodi even catches the scent of another dog he stops whatever he's doing and is up, ears pinned back sniffing the air looking about, and as soon as he catches the first glimpse of the other dog he is off literally at 100mph over to the dog and is wagging his tail sniffing and croutching down waiting to see if the dog is as game as him for a good old chase!
I can shout his name blow the whistle but he will not listen to me or even think about turning back to me until he has checked the other dog out. when i do eventually get near him and he is done playing with the other dog he does listen when i call him to come and he will follow me and walk in the same direction as me. When we are walking and there is knowbody else around he will always check back in with me every 30 or 40 metres and if i give him a whistle he will turn, stop and stay unitl i get to him where i will then treat him and give him lots of attention, he is really good at this but it is just when he see's another dog he is off without a care in the world apart from checking out the other dog and wanting to play.
Apart from this issue he is the perfect dog when we are out and about on our walks, i just worry that he will one day run over to the wrong dog who isn't on the same playful wavelength as Brodi and get attacked, and also you do bump into the odd grumpy dog owner who doesnt appreciate your Vizsla jumping all over their dog wanting to play ha!

if anyone has any suggestions/tips of what i can work on with Brodi with this would be much appreciated. Cheers!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just subbing for ideas, same deal here...also, cab someone please explain why a check cord and not a retractable that you can stop is preferable, please?

·
Registered
2,717 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Practice recall at a park with some tasty treats. I just wrote a blog entry about this:

http://ltlor.blogspot.com/2012/04/recal-training.html?m=1

Retractable leashes are dangerous... almost got my sister's dog killed at the beach. Other dogs don't see the line and can go running through it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
threefsh said:
Practice recall at a park with some tasty treats. I just wrote a blog entry about this:

http://ltlor.blogspot.com/2012/04/recal-training.html?m=1

Retractable leashes are dangerous... almost got my sister's dog killed at the beach. Other dogs don't see the line and can go running through it.
I agree with RBD.

I took my V to my parents and I ended up leaving with my mom to the store leaving Jack with my Dad. My dad decided he want to take Jack for a walk and couldnt find the leash I brought so used the only one he could find which was a retractable. Jack broke in it like the first 5 mins. He is too strong for a leash like that. Plus, I just dont like them.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Intellectual Property removed by Author.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
One thing you'll learn with check cords is they can leave a rope burn on the back of your ankles. If you don't step fast enough when the pup runs a circle around you and your wearing shorts. I guess I'm a slow learner, Ive had it done more than once.
Timing and patience is the key. If your ever stressed out leave training for another time and do something fun with the pup. Once your relaxed start working with them again.

·
Administrator
8,323 Posts
R said:
TEX if I ever see you in shorts! please shoot me LOL
Consider it done.... ;D

·
Registered
815 Posts
Yes I have fallen victim to the lead burn TexasRed luckly I wear wellies on most walks and they are great protection.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Funny, today I was just thinking of that phase my V went through. Mine is 13 months now and comes back 97% of the time but he did have a phase like you describe. The trainer I use always gives the dogs he trains treats when they come- even when he didn't call them. The long leash is good too. Sometimes when mine wouldn't come I would say "bye Miles", walk away and he would come running. You can also hide as long as you keep an eye on them- this has been mentioned before in the forums and by trainers I've seen.
The only other thing I would say is be patient, do everything you can with training and it will pass.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Amazingly...and pretty out of the blue...Coya has been listening to our call back command almost 100% of the time when out in public (can't say the same for when she's in the back yard). I'm not really sure what changed. We had tried the hiding behind the tree technique that someone had suggested but didn't see the change till a few weeks after. It has been so much more of an enjoyable experience taking her to the park now...she looks likes a good dog, and I in turn look like a good owner :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts