Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi just found this forum and so glad I did. We picked up or puppy last weekend, she's nearly 10 weeks old. We are first time dog owners. We want to start working on the separation training asap so I can still have some semblance of life and importantly get work done - I'm still working from home and this is going to continue. So at the moment the main challenge is around night time. She (Isla) is ok with going to sleep in her crate, we put her in once she's sleepy and she settle and go down. This is approx 11/11.30pm after pottying in the garden. We then get between 1.5-2hrs before she'll wake and start whining, barking and going crazy in the crate. So far we've come down to her and gone outside for a quick wee/poo etc come back settle asap and the cycle starts again, 1.5hrs etc etc. Any tips for helping her sleep for a longer period or does that just happen as she gets older week by week? Should we let her cry/bark etc as don't want to reward the behaviour by always coming to her? We had one go at this the other night and she never stopped, went on for over 90mins and of course we came to her and found she had messed and was not pleasant for her (or us). I'm guessing we did wrong there and don't want to make similar mistake again for her sake or ours. Any and all advice gladly welcome. Thank you

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
If she is going to potty during these nightly outings, you need to keep taking her out. Straight out to potty, and straight back to the crate like your doing. We never want to teach them, they have to potty in their crate. So even if we are bleary eyed, and feel like the walking dead. We take them out.
My last puppy had a heartbeat stuffed animal, and one with the smell of lavender in her crate. I’m not sure if it was the reason she slept well at night, or if I just got lucky.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi there! I'm just new here but I'm a long-time dog owner. I also had this kind of experience. For them to sleep longer at night, I suggest that you limit their water intake to a couple of hours before bed. I also walk them before bed just to exhaust their energy and get them to sleep soundly.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi there! I'm just new here but I'm a long-time dog owner. I also had this kind of experience. For them to sleep longer at night, I suggest that you limit their water intake to a couple of hours before bed. I also walk them before bed just to exhaust their energy and get them to sleep soundly.
Thanks for the suggestion regards water. Do you also keep the water away during the night?

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
Please be careful limiting a puppy’s water. They need to stay hydrated, especially if you are feeding dry kibble.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
You have a few weeks of work ahead of you.
If she is actually waking you up, and going to the bathroom when you take her out, you need to let that continue.Her little brain has to be imprinted with that regularity. She’ll start to go at longer intervals once her bladder is more fully developed, and she adapts to your schedule.
Do not limit her water. Animals drink water when they need to. To maintain blood volume, she has to be hydrated properly. Restricting her water isn’t going to have an effect on when she needs to pee, Only the amount. You also run the risk of developing a polydipsia/ polyuria syndrome starting. You do not want to get this cycle started. Believe me, it’s awful to deal with.
I’ve had two females, and four male Vizslas through the years. The girls needed to get out to pee more frequently than the boys seemed to.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You have a few weeks of work ahead of you.
If she is actually waking you up, and going to the bathroom when you take her out, you need to let that continue.Her little brain has to be imprinted with that regularity. She’ll start to go at longer intervals once her bladder is more fully developed, and she adapts to your schedule.
Do not limit her water. Animals drink water when they need to. To maintain blood volume, she has to be hydrated properly. Restricting her water isn’t going to have an effect on when she needs to pee, Only the amount. You also run the risk of developing a polydipsia/ polyuria syndrome starting. You do not want to get this cycle started. Believe me, it’s awful to deal with.
I’ve had two females, and four male Vizslas through the years. The girls needed to get out to pee more frequently than the boys seemed to.
Thanks Gunnr for the advice. It feels like she is waking to go to the toilet. We take her out, she'll do something and then straight back in again. Water bowl is in her crate with just enough water in it to not soak everything if it gets knocked.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
I’ve never put food or water in crates myself, but I always made sure it was available to them outside the crates. However, i have always taken a week, or two, of vacation, and literally sleep outside that crates or for them in the beginning.
Puppies take time, but if you tough out this initial stage, she will learn to trust you, and that makes all the lessons to come so much easier. Anything that enhances your rapport with her needs to be exploited to the full benefit.
No worries ,in a week or two, you’ll be past this and on to other lessons and fun.
Good luck and remember, it’s supposed to be fun. 🤪

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve never put food or water in crates myself, but I always made sure it was available to them outside the crates. However, i have always taken a week, or two, of vacation, and literally sleep outside that crates or for them in the beginning.
Puppies take time, but if you tough out this initial stage, she will learn to trust you, and that makes all the lessons to come so much easier. Anything that enhances your rapport with her needs to be exploited to the full benefit.
No worries ,in a week or two, you’ll be past this and on to other lessons and fun.
Good luck and remember, it’s supposed to be fun. 🤪
New experiences and is definitely fun to see how much she has grown in confidence in the week we've had her. Thanks for the words of encouragement 🙏

1 - 9 of 9 Posts