Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI everyone,

My name's Keegan and my little guy Hank will be arriving in a few weeks! I've been trawling through the forums as I'm sure all of us did when we started our Vizsla journey :) I was a little worried about having a Vizsla in an apartment but I have a balcony and Toilet turf, and there's a dog park literally outside the building which is amazing. I live by myself but I have a couple of wonderful friends who will be able to help me out when I'm at work too!

Incredibly I have 5 weeks of annual leave which startds a couple days after my little guy arrives so I'll literally have ov er a month to just spend with him to get all his training and excellent habits in place :)

Any general advice for those first few weeks? Especially for apartment living? Thanks so much in advance, can't wait to join this community :)

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
Buy some bottles of wine, and/or gift baskets. Consider throwing in ear plugs.
Most of these puppies are going to throw a fit at some point during crate training. Living in an apartment, there is a very high chance it’s going to disturb your neighbors. But you will be prepared to handout a small token of I have appreciation. With a note letting them know, it’s just temporary while your new puppy adjusts.

You need a plan, a backup plan, and a I can’t believe I need this plan.
Your plan, is friends stopping by to help.
Consider hiring a dog walker/sitter as a backup plan.
Your I can’t believe I need this plan
Once you pup is old enough for daycare (Fully vaccinated) having them go a couple of times a week can be a lifesaver.
You need to start looking at, and interviewing dog walkers, and day care‘s before you get your puppy.

edited to add
You need to know what diseases are local to your area. Your puppy will be at a higher risk to contract them until fully vaccinated. if things like Pavo, distemper, and rabies are in your area. Puppies need to stay away from areas other dogs frequent. So it’s best to find a good vet in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Congratulations on Hank joining your family! He will bring you lots of love and laughter, probably tears and also frustration!! But they are great!

my advice would be to accept that the first weeks/months are pretty rough! Not that you won’t enjoy moments, but personally I didn’t anticipate how hard a puppy would be, let alone a high energy one!

fantastic that you got some time off when he arrives, however if you plan on leaving pup alone for periods of time I would possibly start doing small stints alone straight away as it might be a shock going from ‘always there’ to ‘where’s she gone?!’

mans I also agree with the post above regarding dog walkers/day care. It’s a big commitments having a dog (solo) so just to ease the pressure on yourself would be a good idea!

good luck and looking forward to seeing a pic! X

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The "balcony' has me a little bit concerned. Depending on how high up you're apartment is, I would consider "dog proofing" the balcony if he is going to be allowed on it.
Other than that, have fun, make a lot of time to bond and the moment he gets quiet, and you know he is not asleep, you need to go to full alert mode and get ready to get him out the door.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Buy some bottles of wine, and/or gift baskets. Consider throwing in ear plugs.
Most of these puppies are going to throw a fit at some point during crate training. Living in an apartment, there is a very high chance it’s going to disturb your neighbors. But you will be prepared to handout a small token of I have appreciation. With a note letting them know, it’s just temporary while your new puppy adjusts.

You need a plan, a backup plan, and a I can’t believe I need this plan.
Your plan, is friends stopping by to help.
Consider hiring a dog walker/sitter as a backup plan.
Your I can’t believe I need this plan
Once you pup is old enough for daycare (Fully vaccinated) having them go a couple of times a week can be a lifesaver.
You need to start looking at, and interviewing dog walkers, and day care‘s before you get your puppy.

edited to add
You need to know what diseases are local to your area. Your puppy will be at a higher risk to contract them until fully vaccinated. if things like Pavo, distemper, and rabies are in your area. Puppies need to stay away from areas other dogs frequent. So it’s best to find a good vet in advance.
That's a fantastic idea I'll reach out the week prior to Hank's arrival and let my neighoburs know :)

I have a couple of friends who have different schedules to me and they're dog people so I'll have some help and another friend actually works at a dog daycare so once we finish our vaccinations that'll be my first port of call for any days when Hank won't be supervised or have someone available to let him out for bathroom breaks etc.

I know that there'll be alot of adjustment and learning! I am of course a little apprehensive about the unknown but you can always find reasons not to do something and I have good supports and am reading/watching videos, talking to other owners to prepare myself as best I can. You make it work and have a friend for life :) <3

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congratulations on Hank joining your family! He will bring you lots of love and laughter, probably tears and also frustration!! But they are great!

my advice would be to accept that the first weeks/months are pretty rough! Not that you won’t enjoy moments, but personally I didn’t anticipate how hard a puppy would be, let alone a high energy one!

fantastic that you got some time off when he arrives, however if you plan on leaving pup alone for periods of time I would possibly start doing small stints alone straight away as it might be a shock going from ‘always there’ to ‘where’s she gone?!’

mans I also agree with the post above regarding dog walkers/day care. It’s a big commitments having a dog (solo) so just to ease the pressure on yourself would be a good idea!

good luck and looking forward to seeing a pic! X
Thanks Holi! I'll absolutely be psoting a pic or two once Hank arrives :)

And yes I think it's a great idea of course I'll be crate training from day 1 making it his absolute happy place and will start to slowly introduce alone time in the crate even for a few minutes when I'm in another room and rewarding him so he learns to love it. I've got a friend who works at a day care and a couple more who would love to walk him while I'm gone and there's actually alot of dog walkers in my local area who I can arrange for days when my friends are busy. I'm so excited to start this journey adn also just wanted to say thanks for your advice, it is really reassuring to have such a kind community! X

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The "balcony' has me a little bit concerned. Depending on how high up you're apartment is, I would consider "dog proofing" the balcony if he is going to be allowed on it.
Other than that, have fun, make a lot of time to bond and the moment he gets quiet, and you know he is not asleep, you need to go to full alert mode and get ready to get him out the door.
That's definitely fair :) the balcony will exclusively be toilet only - Hank will only ever be out there to use his toilet turf and then straight back inside with lots of praise/reward etc; I'm going to train him that balcony = toilet, and him feeling the urge to toilet = bathroom. He will never be out there without me and I'll have him on his house line whenever he is out of the crate.

I will be in full alert mode haha you can be sure of that!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Congratulations for your new family member coming!
I have vizsla puppy 10 weeks and I could say that first weeks, and I’ve heard also months will be tough! Prepare yourself with a lots of patience!
This little puppy is the sweetest doggy, clingy and never leave you anywhere. But also is a real monster at home 😆
Puppy might be very needy, barking, fear of many things, but learns enough fast, with small steps day by day.
Give to puppy enough attention, play, make a bond and things will get easier with time!
Mine puppy lives in apartment as well, luckily in the first floor with terrace and outside small garden. So she learnt potty things enough fast, we barely have max 2 accidents inside at home. But we go every 40 min out or after sleep, food, play. Everytime to the same place. And today my smart puppy already waits next to door when she wants, if nobody notices then barks. But barking sometimes (needy, attentions etc) might be an issue, we still try to figure it out.
Good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts