Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

We picked up our new V just over a week ago now, and is now 10 weeks he is called Arlo. He gets his jags this Saturday 8th. Me and my partner both work full-time. We also have 2 small kids (18 months and 4 year old) - I know I don't make it easy for myself!!! Am currently going through the stage of' 'what have done!!' 'Is this the right breed?' etc...

My 4 year old won't get off the kitchen chair or back off couch (which he now can jump on too...) she seems to love him, but won't go anywhere near him! My 18 month doesn't seem to bothered, but Arlo see's her as a playmate, biting jumping which she understandably doesn't like.

I leave for work about 8.40am most mornings, sometimes 8.15am. Go home at lunch-time for 30mins to let him out etc. I don't get home till 5.45pm Mon-Wed. Then 6.20pm on Thursday/Fridays. My partner can sometimes get home for 3.30pm on some days, but not every-time. So at the moment he has a play pen, with his crate inside it. We crate over night, and he's no bother.

We start puppy classes next week, and went to a 121 trainer yesterday, so I can get advice to reduce/stop the biting and jumping. But made feel bad, as I shouldn't be leaving him any longer than 2-3 hours, and can we adjust our life to suit - which will be hard. However will look into a dog walker for the longer days.

Is this all doable, will it get better? I feel awful, and feel I've made the wrong decision and giving up all ready. But on the other hand, once he's out walking, and in a couple off weeks with training, will it get better? He gets hyper so easily, so finding hard to tire him out as not aloud out.

Any advice, word of wisdom welcome :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Well, the fun has just begun!

Vizsla are pretty well known for their shark attacks /zoomies. Ours started to get better at the 6 month mark and almost 100% done at 9 months.

You still have time to "enjoy" him nipping at your ankles. We never really found a way to stop it. Just finally grew out of it.

Also, watch for him to get tired which will increase the level of shark attacks. Either try to hold him to get him to settle down or gently put him in his crate so he can crash and get a nap in.

Patience will be your friend.

·
Registered
694 Posts
i would (we did) hire a dog sitter to come in every 3-4 hours. it can be a combination of play time and some short walks, pups at this age need plenty of sleep, but equally they don`t always appreciate being along for 8+ hours. in fact my 2 boys of almost 20 month and 4 years are never left alone for more than 3-4 hours, our dog walker comes twice a day to break it up for them and it is an immense help.

i would also focus on helping the kids to learn how to handle him. whether it is your 121 or if the puppy class offers that perspective as well, it will be essential for everyone`s health and safety.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Short version: it gets better if you mean play biting. In terms of work required... I don’t know. He sleeps less now. In the early days, his naps cut down on the amount of work I have to do. I usually had at least a couple of hours between walks to do my own thing and now not so much. And when he’s not asleep he wants to play. Or train. Or go out. That or watch him get into your stuff. A different set of challenges for sure.

For perspective my boy is considered very well behaved for his age at 4.5 months old by my trainer and people at the dog park.

My partner who normally works at home is on a two week long business trip and I’ve been trying to wean him off dependence on someone entertaining him all day. I took vacation days to take care of him.

And after two weeks, I feel like I’m going insane. He just needs so much. He’s a very good dog, but I definitely had to put in the work for him. I don’t know how much work he is vs. a child, but my vacation days with him are far more exhausting than working my 9-5.

On the other hand he has
1. Stopped chewing anyone at a 3.5 months of age. At least not in play. Sometimes he gets me by accident when we play tug but he doesn’t chew on me for fun. He chewed my partner for a little longer than he did me. I really really didn’t like it. Didn’t tolerate it at all. When he did I would stop interacting completely, even if he’s doing it softly.

He makes a point to treat me with kid gloves (which I love him for!) whereas my partner is more rough and tumble. Though lately he’s also taken a zero tolerance policy and it seems to hand worked.

2. Sits on commands
3. Is heeling admirably
4. Learns tricks on the first/second try
5. Now let’s me eat dinner in peace. Mostly. He is also trained to lie on the mat
6. Doesn’t bark
7. Can be semi-reliably off leash. He does get overly excited by other dogs sometimes but (mostly) leaves people alone. This of course depends on his energy level. I find that if I overtrain, or the weather is bad (as it is a lot in Germany this time of year) self control goes out the window.
8. Warns me before he potties. And it’s different from the “I want to play” whine. It’s very helpful actually.
9. Very rarely jumps

So he’s a good pup if I may say so myself. Although lately he seems to have developed a case of selective hearing on certain occasions. Which I read is normal. Like when he gets into a particularly fragrant pile of horse manure. He used to be very focused on me but these days he’s feeling more independent. My trainer warns me that I have a month or two to develop a very tight rapport with him before other things, like female dogs, REALLY catch his interest.

On one hand he knows so much now. On the other hand he’s starting to get ideas of his own. He’s now big enough to get on most counters around the house and when he’s bored he “explores”. It puts me on edge a little, but at least he’s not biting anymore.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts