Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

We are a family of 4 with 2 girls aged 9 and 10, 3 Bengal cats and a lot of fish! We welcomed our first dog, an 8 week old Vizsla, into our lives a little under a week go, and boy has she turned our lives up side down!

Now don’t get me wrong, I love her to pieces already, she is just the most gorgeous little thing… until she gets that look in her eye and has us all running for cover! Yes, we have discovered the sharkies 😱

What’s more, our beautiful little lady seems more than happy doing her business inside, despite us taking her outside every hour/after naps/after meals. My life at the moment is following her around and cleaning up her wees and poops, and trying not to get bitten in the process 😆

I have always had cats in the past, so am not very experienced with dogs, but I did my reasearch. I knew a puppy wasn’t going to be easy, but I didn’t quite realise how full on these first few weeks/months were going to be. So please, you lovely people, tell me it is going to get better! Tell me how much joy this little Vizsla is going to bring into our lives! I know this behaviour is just a phase that all Vizsla puppies go though, and there will be better days, but for now I feel like a bit of moral support will get me through.

Thank you so much from a new and worn out Vizsla owner

·
Registered
352 Posts
100% it will get better

You've jumped into dog ownership by purchasing a lamborgini instead of a toyota so the learning curve certainly is steep as you've mentioned! Vizsla puppyhood is more intense than a lot of other breeds - Vizsla puppies are really challenging.

The good thing is, there is light at the end of the tunnel. Every week you will notice changes and by the time the pup is 4-5 months old there will be significant changes. Keep being consistent with potty time and maybe look into crate training as a way to potty train as pups are less likely to pee/poo in a small space.

Most important thing - is making your expectations of her, clear and consistent. She won't be able to meet these expectations right away, but with consistency and clarity she 100% will and this process will be faster than you expect.

One thing is for sure - keep loving this pup as you are clearly doing and it will mold into the perfect companion in no time. And soon that lamborgini land shark will be a deeply emotionally intuitive and athletic lifelong companion.

You are on the right path. Keep going and make sure you take care of yourself as much as you can so you can keep your sanity during the puppy days.

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
When they are out playing, eating, drinking, etc zI set a timer for twenty minutes to go out to potty.
It’s a pain, but less accidents in the house, and it leads to them catching on quicker.
Plus make sure that they pee a couple of times when they are out. Most puppies don’t empty their bladder all at once.

Reactions: PhilipL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies and tips! It is 6:15 in the morning, and I have cleaned up 2 poops and a wee already, while fending off the first shark attach of the day 😆. I am now getting a bit of peace while baby shark (as we have affectionately nicknamed Emie until this faze has passed) is killing a sacrificial mouse shaped chew toy.

Here’s to another fun day!😬 But I’m sure it will all be worth in in the end🙂

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hey Katie,

Some V’s do really well with potty training, and others are a bit slow. Our 14 month old female V has had many many many accidents in her first 9 months, even though we have been very blessed with an easy to crate train dog.

Pooing indoors only happened in the first 2/3 weeks, unless she had eaten something she shouldn’t have, or that time we took her to the beach for the first time and she drank a little bit of sea water (diarrhea everywhere 🙈). Pee accidents happened a lot in the first year. Usually during or right after playing. She slept through the night fairly quick and rarely peed in her crate. But during the da outside her crate, her accidents sometimes drove me insane.

We kept taking her out every 20 minutes for a long time, then every hour / 1,5 hour until she was about 11 / 12 months.

But eventually she grew up and got the idea. Now that she is almost 1,5 years old she hasn’t had an accident in many months and she holds it easily for 4 hours during the day and over 12 hours during the night (without crate).

So, it might take a few weeks or it might take a year but you’ll get through and eventually you’ll forget how annoying it was 😉

Goodluck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for your comments Frida010. It’s good to know that not all Vizslas are quick to potty train, and it’s not just that we are terrible puppy parents. It’s also good to hear other peoples experiences, no one we know has a Vizsla so they just cannot relate.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
The sharkies will come and go in time. Some puppies are worse than others about it.
As for the weeing and pooping inside, you will probably be surprised at how quickly that goes away. She's not even 9 weeks old yet, so she is still very young.
With regards to that, you have to watch her like a hawk looking for mice in an open field. Constant vigilance is the key. If she is not actively engaged in playing, eating, or sleeping, she's about to get engaged in going to the bathroom. Have regular times that she can expect to be taken out, but in between, you have to watch her like a hawk for a few weeks. The moment she stops being engaged in one of the first three activities, it's out the door in a skinny second. You have to be quick.
Do not expect her to be able to "hold it". She can't physically do that at this point in her life. In two weeks yes, to a degree, but as of right now, no.
She doesn't know yet what you want with respect to "potty training and she's not really capable just yet of being "trained", nor is she at the point that she can "tell you" when she needs to go to the bathroom, but she can definitely begin to recognize patterned behaviors on your part. The more consistent you are, the faster she'll develop. In all phases of her life and training to come
The good news is that within a 5-6 weeks she will have her adult brain in place, and by next week she will have the ability to "remember" lessons, based on those patterned behavioral responses.
They develop very quickly. A week makes a huge difference at her age.
If the weeing appears to not get better, and it seems to be "spontaneous" in nature, you might want to get her checked for a bladder infection. Yes, even very young puppies can develop bladder infections.
You're in for some very fun times and lifelong memories. She just needs a good first year.
Have lots of fun with her.

·
Registered
8 Posts
IT DOES GET BETTER!!

granted I’m no pro - we’ve only had our vizsla/gsp cross 5 weeks, But the first week or two was rough, lots of thoughts/doubts went through my mind and I wasn’t so much as enjoying this adorable puppy but just surviving it!!

Each week has got easier, with more and more moments that make me say internally ‘This is the reason we got a dog’

with regards to the nippy periods - now I am in no way saying to over excercise her - but vizsla do need to burn up more energy than your avarage dog - so as soon as you feel a mad hour coming on, take her out, distract her and tire her out! Then in straight on her bed for a nap - That works for us anyways!

we are SLOWLY getting there with house training, but I’m fortune enough to work from home so the door to our garden is always open and he knows to go there now, however on a night we still come downstairs to some accidents but hey, I can live with that until he grows and his body learns to hold it better

hang in there it’ll be all click into place xxx

·
Registered
16 Posts
Congrats on your new addition! It does get better. I have two daughters as well ages 9/12yrs. Our Vizsla Mo is now 9mos old and those first couple of months were pure survival. Crate training was a life saver for us because Mo can't seem to calm down on his own, especially if he was over tired and would get snippy with us. I also found someone to take him on trail walks with other dogs during the week when I'm working, so he gets adequate exercise and socialization. I notice a huge difference if doesn't burn off his energy. It's like when the kids have indoor recess. I love the description of having a Lamborghini :LOL:. We had no idea what we were getting into and are still struggling with counter surfing and him trying to find anything to destroy.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your replies.
Just a quick question or 2.
I’m felling a bit disheartened at the moment as Emie has just weed on her bedding in her crate. We cleaned the crate, and then put her dinner in there. As soon as she had finished her dinner she did a poop in her crate.

I then took her in the garden to see if she wanted a wee as it had been 20 minutes or so since the last one. She cried for the entire 20 minutes we were standing in the garden, then as soon as we got back in the house she did a wee.

some times when we go out she will wee or poop immediately, sometimes we can be there as long as 40 minutes, yet she will go very frequently in the house.

we have taken all of her bedding out of the crate and will just put it back in for naps and nights.

We have done lots of wees and poops in the garden today and we have given lots of praise and treats, yet sometime it just feels like she prefers the house. Can anyone relate?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Thank you for your replies.
Just a quick question or 2.
I’m felling a bit disheartened at the moment as Emie has just weed on her bedding in her crate. We cleaned the crate, and then put her dinner in there. As soon as she had finished her dinner she did a poop in her crate.

I then took her in the garden to see if she wanted a wee as it had been 20 minutes or so since the last one. She cried for the entire 20 minutes we were standing in the garden, then as soon as we got back in the house she did a wee.

some times when we go out she will wee or poop immediately, sometimes we can be there as long as 40 minutes, yet she will go very frequently in the house.

we have taken all of her bedding out of the crate and will just put it back in for naps and nights.

We have done lots of wees and poops in the garden today and we have given lots of praise and treats, yet sometime it just feels like she prefers the house. Can anyone relate?
As brutal as it is at this stage, crate training is your key to rectifying this

Your pup can't have access to the whole house to go potty in. They need to be outdoors or in their crate, except for times when you can watch the pup intently to insure they don't potty in the house.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you organicthoughts. It’s great to have people to keep me on track. I know this is just a phase, but it’s so difficult when you’ve never done it before. Emie is in her crate fast asleep now, so we should be good until about 2:30 am, then we will get up for a quick trip to the back garden with Emie. It’s so good to be able to relax for a bit 😃

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
You have a few things in one of your posts that might be causing you issue.
Emmi should be on a feeding cycle. Three meals a day, properly spaced and always given at the same time. No treats in between. She isn't old enough to understand reward based training and the extra treats are causing you more work and problems.
Her crate is her crate. It is where she should be sleeping. I personally would not feed in the crate.
It is very, very, comon for a puppy to do nothing outside when you want them to, and immediately upon coming back into the house they go to the bathroom. Be prepared for it. I have many times brought the puppy back into the house, knowing that I would be going right back out that door within a minute. It's actually kind of predictable.
Make sure that everyone in the family is engaged and helping out, and that you are all treating her the same way. There are four of you and one of her. She'll be faster than all four of you in 2 months, but for the next few months, you have the physical advantage. ;)
Stick with it and get a regimen in place. She's going to be a beautiful girl in just a few month and all of this will be the source for some amusing family stories for years.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you Gunnr. Today has been a much better day. We have had accidents of course, but we have had lots of wees and poops in the garden too. And it’s good to know that, weeing as soon as we get back in the house is not unusual. I think it’s me that needs training on not to panic that we are doing everything wrong (even if a few things can be improved up on) and accept that Emie is doing exactly what’s 9 week old puppy does 😀.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Love ,attention, affection, food, water, shelter ,a predictable routine, and firm clear boundaries. Provide these and just about everything falls into place in time. She'll do the rest for you. ;)
You're fine. Really you are. Puppies can just be a lot of work for the first two or three weeks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
… No treats in between. She isn't old enough to understand reward based training and the extra treats are causing you more work and problems.
are you able to clarify? What is to be done during training or is training with treats pointless…or is training pointless at this age? And then at what age should treats be introduced during training?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
"Training" is the behavioral modification of the dog to respond to commands and signals. The dog has to have an understanding of the command, the expectation, and then the execution of the command. that is consistent with the expectation of the handler/owner/trainer.
Treats are often used in a reward based system to use a positive experience to modify the dog's behavior. Still though, the dog has to understand what the command is, and then execute it. Training with treats is not pointless, it's just at this time she doesn't have the mental ability to understand the "cause and effect" of the treat and the command. But,,,, very quickly, in just a few short weeks, she will. She;ll have the attention of a firefly at a porch light, but she will be able to associate the command with a desired response
Right now she is just very young. It's patterns of repetition and regularity that she will accustom herself to. The puppy that you have now is not the puppy you will have by mid October, and that puppy won't be the same as the one that you have by Christmas.
There is nothing wrong with rewards based training. It is used successfully in 10's of thousands of training session daily around the world. The puppy, and an all puppies of any breed, just have to be old enough to understand the process.

Weeks 8-10 for a puppy should focus on house/potty training, establishing a predictable routine. Introduction to the collar, and introduction to the leash.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi all, just to let you know how things are going. We are having very few accidents in the house now, but mainly because we are almost always in the garden. We go out when Emie wakes up, after she has eaten, and every 20 minutes in between. If we are in the house, we are either in the kitchen, or in the front room where we are always close to Emie.

Alongside the toilet training we are also working on leaving Emie in the room/crate by herself for short periods of time and also redirecting sharky attacks towards toys rather than body parts. Puppy training is certainly a full time job! :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Well done!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts