Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I am new to the site so any advice on vs would be great. We get our puppy in 4 weeks, I have been reading your messages and must admit as excited as I am, slightly nervous and realise after reading your messages I must be very consistent and have routine :)

·
Registered
503 Posts
Sleep now, while you can. A new pup is more difficult than a new human baby as far as i can remember (my kids are older now).

:D

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had read on an earlier message that sleep would be good before the puppy arrived. We are all very excited, funny how my 2 children gave them selves certain jobs to do with the puppy, feeding poop cleaning etc. she is not even here yet and they have changed there mind. ( Especially about cleaning up the wee and poop). How old is your puppy?

·
Registered
540 Posts
Welcome Angie and good luck with your new puppy!
This is a great forum - you will always find a lot of helpful information!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you SkyyMax, have found all the info on here very helpful already and haven't got Bella yet.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Welcome aboard Angie...it really is a good forum, plenty of advice from lovers of this beautiful breed.
just enjoy your puppy when it arrives and don't hesitate to contact the forum when you need advice...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hi Angie

We picked up our Milly on Saturday and yep its hard ,but no where near as bad as we thought.

Crate training is defo the way to go. When ever Milly drops off we put her in her crate. At the moment at night we put her in at about 11pm she has been waking me up about an hour or so later to be let out for a wee then i settle her and put her back in the crate, this usually takes about 15 mins from me getting up to the doors being shut on the crate. Milly woke me up at 4.30 this morning, but previously it has been at 5.30am

Keep reading and don't worry.

All the best .

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for your lovely welcome, we are definitely having a crate for our pup. Taking the kids to school and back everyday means I want the puppy somewhere safe for her and where she can't damage anything and also for her to sleep in to. I am home most of the day so can spend a lot of time with her, my friend has a ridge back and although not the same breed she has been giving me some basic tips. :)

·
Registered
164 Posts
When dropping the kids off at school maybe you can bring Bella with you?

I take Phoebe everywhere that I can, pet stores, book stores, garden centers, ... if i'm dropping my boys off at a movie or for a sleepover or something i usually take her with me, you never know when an interesting trail may present itself for exploration.

enjoy!
:cool:
rh.

25 Posts
Just been to see pups ~they were born on the 7th of june to mum Lyska. 6 boys and 3 girls ( one girl died this morning bless). I made it in time to see 6 pups born and it was the most fantastic thing ive seen. We now cant wait to pick our boy and girl pup in 3 and a half weeks time-2 pups so excited i cant keep the smile off my face. Will try and work out how to put a picture on for all to see the adorable tiny little pups!!!!! :D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Are you picking up puppies @ 4 weeks old, or deciding which pups will be yours?

I'm hoping I read that wrong... pups should stay with mom for at least 8 weeks.

Also, why are you getting 2 siblings from the same litter? Our breeder absolutely forbid this because they are so much work as small pups.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Gosh you are brave taking two pup of the same age on ;) ;).

I have always been told by breeders and trainers you shouldn't have two pups together as they don't listen to you because they are so busy listening and playing with each other.

Good Luck to you - and do get lots of sleep in the next few weeks, although I am sure they will sleep at night you might be up cleaning up after them :) :) :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Last comment so true. There is a couple where I go gun dog training who have a brother and sister from the same litter. To be honest in the nicest possible way its pretty pointless them been there as the dogs do not do anything other than run off as soon as they are off lead a sprint as fast as possible to the other one to play fight. Hats off to them for doing it but in my opinion it's a bit irresponsible of the breeder to sell two from the same litter??

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I also thought you could not have the pups until 8 weeks old, Lyska sounds familiar to me to. Maybe that was one of the breeders we had looked at from Rotherham. You are very brave taking on 2 pups, 1 pup has cost me a small fortune today. Although she will be worth it. Good luck with your pups :)

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Regarding litter mates together.

We used to crossed paths with a guy with three black male labs litter mates, he seemed to be trying to field train them, they would pin Brook down by his neck on mass every time we crossed paths, he would claim its OK they wont hurt him.

We learnt to avoid them.

A years on the problem dog was dumped at the park and left. (the one he felt was the problem)

When told his dog was in the local pound, he claimed he wouldn't come back, but would not collect him and left him there over Christmas to be re homed.

Fast forward another year, same " gentleman " has two puppy English pointer bitches, and still two black labs.

He walked with out noticing that one puppy had wondered of and joined the group of dogs I was walking with. It was some time and he still had not noticed she was gone.

I picked her up, and asked the people I was with if they fancied a free puppy!! as the guy was completely out of sight.

Followed and caught him up, he hadn't even noticed she was gone. Popped her on the floor for him to call her back, and turn and walked away with out a word.

I haven't see him since, so don't know how the two groups of litter mates have worked out.

Many litter mate puppy's we have known have not worked out for the owners, Jessie and James, Jack and Jill, they all got split up.

Think more than twice about taking two together at the same age, one Vizsla puppy can be too much at times, especially if its your first dog or first Vizsla.

Mrs Hobbsy

·
Registered
238 Posts
Why is it that so many of you are saying how bad it is to have two from the same litter?
I know a couple who have sisters and they are now almost two years, they wouldnt have it any other way, surely if the owners are responsible, attentive, patient, caring, loving and willing to spend hours and hours of time on thier puppies aren't they to be applauded?

·
Registered
503 Posts
cooperman said:
Why is it that so many of you are saying how bad it is to have two from the same litter?
I know a couple who have sisters and they are now almost two years, they wouldnt have it any other way, surely if the owners are responsible, attentive, patient, caring, loving and willing to spend hours and hours of time on thier puppies aren't they to be applauded?

Specific examples don't change general rules I suppose. I know there are folk more capable than I; more knowledgeable too, however I'm sensing a little 'been there, done that' from folks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Cooperman you may well have a good point. I think there is a lot to be said for who the owners are and how they handle them, I think people are just relaying what experiences they have seen with regards to two puppies from same litters. The trainer who I go to who has 40 years plus experience and 20 of those with vizslas said he was dead against the idea. Like I said in an earlier post the brother and sister we train with may as well not be there, on the flip side depends who is on the end of the lead too!

·
Registered
9 Posts
It still sounds really suspect to me. What kind of breeder would let two pups go together from the same litter, and so early (early because they will stay together maybe?). I could maybe understand it if it was someone who had owned vizslas before, but for a new v owner, one vizsla puppy on its own is beyond intense. Sorry to sound judgey, Angie, I know you are excited and so you should be, it is an amazing lifechange. But I'm not sure everything sounds kosher. I've also heard they bond more with each other than with their humans when you get them as pups from the same litter.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hope my comment earlier about having 2 pups was not offensive, I just meant in general as I am new to all this. I am quite sure I looked at this particular breeder before I decided who to get a pup from.
Something didn't feel right to me, couldn't quite put my finger on it but we decided not to get one from them. Now we are getting a lovely girl in a few weeks. So looking forward to it. :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts