Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Me and my boyfriend decided to go for a Viszla almost two years ago.
We had now put on a “reservation” for a puppy and he will be coming home end of this month!
However, we had split and I am now wondering if I should still get the puppy myself given for all I read about the breed (i have done A LOT of reading) seems to be an impossible amount of work for just one person.
I am currently working from home and probably stay that way until next year, due to Covid.
I am looking for advise here.. should I go for a different breed instead before I get the puppy and turns out impossible? I really love this breed but would be my first.

Thanks for all your comments!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello Daniela,

I suggest to really evaluate your situation and see if you will have the time in training the new puppy (any breed but more so for vizsla). The first year is critical because this is the formative stage and puppies need training and structure. They will exhibit curiosity, shyness, fearfulness, testing limits, etc., and you need to be able to provide training and resources (time and more time) to have a happy and thriving companion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hello Daniela,

I suggest to really evaluate your situation and see if you will have the time in training the new puppy (any breed but more so for vizsla). The first year is critical because this is the formative stage and puppies need training and structure. They will exhibit curiosity, shyness, fearfulness, testing limits, etc., and you need to be able to provide training and resources (time and more time) to have a happy and thriving companion.
Hi all,
We had now put on a “reservation” for a puppy and he will be coming home end of this month!
However, we had split and I am now wondering if I should still get the puppy myself given for all I read about the breed (i have done A LOT of reading) seems to be an impossible amount of work for just one person.
I am currently working from home and probably stay that way until next year, due to Covid.
I am looking for advise here.. should I go for a different breed instead before I get the puppy and turns out impossible? I really love this breed but would be my first.

Hi Daniela;
Given the fact that there are so very many changes going on in your life, I suggest waiting until you've re-established your foundation. Puppies are adorable but very demanding...any breed of puppy. They all have the same basic needs and you need to pay a lot of attention to them in order to have the well behaved Vizsla you have seen, studied about and want to love. I think your instincts are telling you to wait, and I believe that's the best path to follow, for this stage in your life.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Daniela,

I understand you are in a tricky circumstance. If you decide the Vizsla puppy may not be a good fit, I am looking to get one for my family.

Only if, of course, you don’t think it would be a good fit for now, I would love the information!
Thanks

·
Administrator
8,183 Posts
@Mia
We really don't recommend this breed, or puppies in general, to be given away, or resold. A lot of screening goes into placing these dogs / puppies in the correct homes.

The best option is for them to speak with the breeder on their concerns.
Responsible breeders will also be happy to take a puppy back, if for any reason something does not work out.
Most have it in their contracts. That their dogs are not to be given away, or resold without their knowledge.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
In the end, only you can decide what is right for you, but your decision also has to be in the best interest of the puppy, and the dog that it will become.
if you were ever to get a Vizlsa, knowing that you will be home all the time for the first year of it's life it's a huge positive. These dogs can be a lot of work their first year or two. Is it more than one person can handle? That depends on the person, and how much they're willing to sacrifice and the amount of work they are willing to do. For a hunting Vizsla there are many hundreds of hours of training, development, and work, in the first year alone, before the first bird is shot over them. It's not a small commitment.
You can read back through this forum and read the countless numbers of threads of folks that were just overwhelmed with their puppies, and what they have gone through with them. As you read through them, ask yourself if what they went through, or are going through, with their dogs, is something you're willing to go through.
These dogs can be anything but "easy keepers". I'm not trying to scare you away, or dissuade you. I'm just telling you the reality of 30+ years of experience I have with these dogs. "Velcro" is a suggestive term. ;)
My first Vizsla was a "push button" dog. He was just a gifted machine. Thank god he knew what to do, because I was learning everything day to day, and making it up in between. My current dog can be a high powered tight rope act. He's also a gifted hunter, but he can make you work for it at times!! The other five I've had were somewhere between these two, except for Gunnr. She was special! and not always in a good way.
The only sentences in your post that give me concern are that It would be your first dog, and that you already have concerns.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi all,

Hi all,

Hi Daniela,

I can only speak from my perspective. I’m a 1st time Vizsla & dog owner. And as mad as it sounds it has been even madder in reality ! Reggie is now just over 5 months and the work and commitment has been 100% more than I had read & researched. I prepped for Reggie for over a year but I know without my partners commitment I would have been on my knees. I too have been working from home, which has eased the journey but I needed someone to take over at times as I struggled to do both. I love my v with all my heart but sharing the responsibility makes such a difference. It’s joyous and challenging in equal measure but being on ur own is a tall order. You sound as if u will make the right decision for you and maybe reading the replies here will help u with ur decision. Good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all very much for your replies, I will keep on thinking on the situation and your comments were all really useful :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts