Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year boy named Charlie. To make a short story long - My younger brother passed away at 48 from lung cancer. Never smoked, any drugs, or worked in a dangerius area. A 1 in 10 million crappy chance and completely not fair. I found my Vizsla puppy just after, named him after my brother then moved us both in with mom and dad to console them and help mom through the worst experience in her life. Charlie did all the healing, but he is my dog. He sleeps with me, waits for me when I am late, looks to me for primary attention, and blocks me if I give mother a hug, or pet another dog.

New house with just us two. A new puppy coming Nov. 5. Charlie will have to share his human with the new puppy. How do I make this work? What can I do to keep Charlie happy with sharing me? Charlie is your passive, friendly Vizsla, but gets jealous. Looking for advice and shortcuts to keeping the hurricane of a new vizsla puppy from spawning a side tornado.

·
Administrator
8,878 Posts
It really depends on Charlies level of jealousy, and to what lengths he is willing to go to. What you are describing, is not that uncommon. These dogs want to be a part of everything, and to some it’s a competition to be first. You didn’t mention if Charlie likes puppies, or if he just tolerates them.
Just give Charlie lots of attention, and breaks from the puppy. If you have not already, explain Charlie’s temperament to your breeder. I would give them a call. That way they can see which puppy, might be the better fit for your home.
My last puppy, I didn’t even pick the gender.
Whatever puppy was going to best fit my home, was picked for me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
My V is like that too. Passive but incredibly loyal and it sometimes manifests as jealousy around other dogs/humans. The pack will sort itself out; there will be jealousy at times from all three of you, in various different ways. Be intentional and everything will work out.

We have a younger Springer and I met my now wife when my V was 4 (he is 9 now) so the first four years of his life was very much just me and him. Sometimes I get jealous of his snuggles with my wife or him wanting to play with the springer when I want a snuggle. It all comes full circle and sometimes I like when he is jealous over me; it makes me feel loved at times when I need it and it feels unique and special... It's our bond and connection.

May your brothers memory forever be a blessing. My deepest condolences to you and your family, and I wish you and your pups a long life, full of good health and only joy.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It really depends on Charlies level of jealousy, and to what lengths he is willing to go to. What you are describing, is not that uncommon. These dogs want to be a part of everything, and to some it’s a competition to be first. You didn’t mention if Charlie likes puppies, or if he just tolerates them.
Just give Charlie lots of attention, and breaks from the puppy. If you have not already, explain Charlie’s temperament to your breeder. I would give them a call. That way they can see which puppy, might be the better fit for your home.
My last puppy, I didn’t even pick the gender.
Whatever puppy was going to best fit my home, was picked for me.
Thank you for the advice. I am watching puppy videos now at 3,4, and 5 weeks trying to figure out who is adventurous and who is the human shadow, and who is happy just to be in the sun. Hard to figure anything out at this age, but I will contact the breeder and see what they say.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My V is like that too. Passive but incredibly loyal and it sometimes manifests as jealousy around other dogs/humans. The pack will sort itself out; there will be jealousy at times from all three of you, in various different ways. Be intentional and everything will work out.

We have a younger Springer and I met my now wife when my V was 4 (he is 9 now) so the first four years of his life was very much just me and him. Sometimes I get jealous of his snuggles with my wife or him wanting to play with the springer when I want a snuggle. It all comes full circle and sometimes I like when he is jealous over me; it makes me feel loved at times when I need it and it feels unique and special... It's our bond and connection.

May your brothers memory forever be a blessing. My deepest condolences to you and your family, and I wish you and your pups a long life, full of good health and only joy.
Charlie is not aggressive towards other dogs at all. He wants to be the one getting all the hugs, but simply nuzzles his way in between dog and person to get all the hugs.. He plays with another vizsla (1 1/2 yo) and a whippet (5 yo) at the dog park and they seem to share each others owners without incident. I am 90% sure it will all go well, but I have a fixed mindset and want that 100% assurance. :)
thanks for the assurance and help

1 - 5 of 5 Posts