Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is my first post since I’ve joined the forum. We have a scheduled pickup on 12/17 for our male vizsla. I have already paid the deposit and I get 2nd pick out of 4 total male pups. I have been reading and studying the breed for around a month now. I have a 15 month year old daughter that’s super high energy. I have stumbled upon a few threads talking about how wild and destructive their vizsla is. Does anyone not recommend me getting a vizsla ? Lol or not getting one with such a young child? Just needing someone to talk me off the ledge after reading a good bit of posts on here. Thanks in advance.

a little more info… my wife is a stay at home mother and I work 8 hour shifts. I’m the hunter and she loves the Velcro aspect. We live on a family farm but about 100 from the road.
-Bryant

· Administrator
9,481 Posts
This really depends on if your wife is willing to put tons of work into the puppy, while your daughter is still very young. The first months they have those sharp needle teeth, that they try to sink into everything. My arms looked like I had been playing with feral cats, from my last Vizsla puppy. She is my 8th vizsla. Then you get to the good puppy stage, before the teenager stage shows up. They are great dogs, and can be wonderful family dogs. Couples that help each other with the extra work load, do well with the breed. The ones that don’t, the dogs windup in the backyard all day, and demolish everything in sight.

· Registered
83 Posts
I’m one year in. Early puppy stage was indeed a lot of work, but like human babies all the trouble they cause you melts away when they’re little angels sleeping in your lap or in their bed. If you are consistent, are patient, have a firm but gentle hand, and have lots of toys on hand for redirection, you’ll do fine, and you can see them learning your routines and rules, and they mellow out into really great dogs. That being said, I have yet to see the adolescent second year, but I already think my boy is an awesome dog.

· Registered
1,848 Posts
“Wild and destructive”. That I have not seen in my 34 years of having them.
In that time, one dog, gnawed on one chair rail, once!
They’ve torn their beds apart ,gone through toys like candy the first year, but that’s not destructive. That’s normal.
I’ve never had an infant and a puppy. People make it work everyday though. It’s just takes effort. No reason to believe that you cannot make it work. You’re already concerned, so that tells me that you’re open to what it takes to make it work.

· Registered
Ellie
620 Posts
I would say that you really should dig deep with your wife who it sounds like will be taking the brunt of the puppy phase while being home with it and your child. I have seen on this forum similar situations with the wife not being able to handle a V puppy and small child at home while the husband was at work , and I don't blame them. Normal puppies are a handful. V's from my experience and participating on this forum for nearly 2 years are next level. If you both can survive the first 4-6 months, you will be greatly rewarded.

· Registered
42 Posts
I’m on my second Vizsla (4 months old) and she is quite the handful and destructive at times. I can go to the bathroom and she’ll be chewing the baseboards when I get out😬. Anyway, I stay at home all day while my husband works. We do not have children. I have been at my wits end many times because it feels like one step forward and two steps back at times. My suggestion would be to make sure your wife has some breaks from all the craziness. I have a dog sitter who will stay at our house when we travel. I also am looking into daycare so I can clean up the house and do a few other projects. Good luck to you - all in all I think this is a wonderful breed if you can get through that first year! That you live on a farm sounds wonderful! Room to run!

· Registered
23 Posts
We have our first V. He is not destructive . He has never chewed or ruined anything.....but he has chewed on us. Puppy teeth are very sharp -- he was playing but we were often scratched and bleeding. Arms, Legs, we looked like we had been through the wars. V's play rough. He is now 1 year and finally calming down. He demands constant attention. He brings his toys and balls and wants to play all day. If I don't play with him he approaches my husband. At this stage I cannot leave him alone in a room -- he will get into some kind of mischief -- Basically he is a human 2 year old. FYI

· Registered
4 Posts
Your wife needs to be stern with him and set boundaries with the kid. I have two young kids and my V is now a year old and is really good with them. It takes time but you have to be consistent or you will have a wild puppy. Have a lot of chews around and constantly re direct the teething.

· Registered
4 Posts
This is all great feedback. I have a female V that turns 2 years old in February and we pickup our male on Dec 31. My female has been a dream but not without a ton of attention, training, time, etc. Its almost like she has on on/off switch...on when outside and off when inside. Heavy doses of "romping"/exploring and chew toys worked well for us in the early months. From my personal experience only, I think V's excel when they have the freedom to roam unconfined with a watchful eye present. I think this stimulates them mentally, builds confidence, and provides much needed exercise (at their own pace). I am also a proponent of electronic collars once they get to around 4-5 months old. Assuming you are getting a well bred V, provide a good family environment, and put the time in...you have zero to worry about. Enjoy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts