Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone

We got a Vizsla, named Viktor, August 8. HE was 8 weeks and currenlty he is in his 12th week.

3 days ago when we woke up we found that he had big bulge/swelling around his nick under his chin on his right side.
Been to the vet, they took a sample of the fluid, have given him antibiotics etc...but it has not gotten better. Worse in fact. LAb results on the sample not back yet.

Vet says it could be something he ate that has lodged itself in his esophagus. Vet says it is very unlikely it is a lymphoma, mucocele and rare that it could be a goiter due to hyperthyroidism.

These last few days have taken the fun out of a new dog (our first ever) and we are just sick with worry.

Has anyone seen something like this from such a young puppy?

Would love to hear people's thoughts and/or experiences (good and bad)

UPDATE:

After a CT scan and a stay at a Veterinary Hospital, it turns out Viktor had an abscess that needed draining and to continue on a full round of antibiotics. How he got it, is uncertain, but considering he tries to eat everything in sight, he probably swallowed something that caused an internal cut...or something like that.

Thankfully nothing serious! (except for the Vet bill)

Thank you to those that replied. Looking forward to sharing on this site more in the coming years.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Possibly lmphedema , could be caused by many things or even be idiopathic (unknown). Infections and cancers are usually the first things to test for. After that it can get more complicated to figure out the "why" with more sophisticated tests of the lymphatic system (if indeed it is lymphedema).

I'm so sorry you are going through this with your pup. I do hope that he recovers quickly and this never happens again!

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
That looks like the start of puppy strangles.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Don't hesitate to get a second opinion
This is what dog ownership truly is... loving and caring for an animal who will love you back; it sucks you have to deal with such a scare so early on, but puppies do go through weird things. If you are unsure about your vet's response, get another vet to take a look.... I would also be uncomfortable without a diagnosis and if no diagnosis, I'd want further examination/investigation ASAP

Reactions: Mrs M and texasred

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
Poor baby.
Fingers crossed this treatment clears it up.
I’m not sure if you have spear grass (foxtails) in your area. They cause a lot of problems for birddogs every year.

If a Vizsla puppy can find a way to hurt themselves, they will. They throw caution to the wind, while traveling as fast as their legs will let them. Not always looking where they are going, and putting everything in their mouth.

I hear you on the vet bills.

Reactions: TrumpetBlast

·
Registered
352 Posts
So glad to hear you figured it out!

·
Administrator
8,816 Posts
was it figured out?

edit : I seem to not be able to see a post from the op with what the problem is or a remedy?

edit edit lol I see the update to the op. Glad he is on a road to recovery!
We all have those moments. 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: Dan_A

·
Registered
37 Posts
Sorry to hear about your rough start. If it's any consolation, my girl is not a year old and I can definitively attribute a MINIMUM of twenty grey hairs to her and the worry she has caused me. From eating whole cooked bones and plastic squeakers and toxic onion scraps to the more mundane nights of vomit and/or diarrhea of unknown origin, it's been ca-RAZY. But, just like human kids, you still find that it's worth all the headache and worry. Because they are your babies and they are awesome. Maybe you are fortunate enough to get your big calamities out of the way early! 🤞 (fingers crossed!)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I have to say I do feel it is appropriate to post a new message with the latest update along with optionally updating the initial post via edit. It really helps out us oblivious users lol. :ROFLMAO:
I will heed that advice going forward!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sorry to hear about your rough start. If it's any consolation, my girl is not a year old and I can definitively attribute a MINIMUM of twenty grey hairs to her and the worry she has caused me. From eating whole cooked bones and plastic squeakers and toxic onion scraps to the more mundane nights of vomit and/or diarrhea of unknown origin, it's been ca-RAZY. But, just like human kids, you still find that it's worth all the headache and worry. Because they are your babies and they are awesome. Maybe you are fortunate enough to get your big calamities out of the way early! 🤞 (fingers crossed!)
What you described sounds like our first month. The speed at which this little guy snaps up stuff off the ground and swallows it is amazing. The blue latex glove he swallowed had me worried...had to induce vomiting on that one! Really gotta keep an eye out on what's around him!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts