Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I suggest a new members area.

Whereby new members stay until they have posted 3 or so postings on 'new member' threads. After this the honest new members are free to go and coment on or create new threads in the main forum.

This would hold all spam in one area and also avoid spammers taking over existing threads.

Kevin :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
235 Posts
It will also turn off legit new members from the forum. If i come here with a specific question about diet, health or behavior, i do not want to be confined to some "probation" sub-forum. That alone would be the fastest way for me to leave and never come back.

I had a question about my Newts and went to a Newt forum. They have so many ridiculous new member restrictions that the entire forum has 30,000+ registered users and only 20 are active. People come looking for answers, they don't want to wait for 3 days to be allowed to the right area to ask that question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,305 Posts
I know it can be tedious and tiresome, but probably the best way to get rid of spam is just to report it to the moderators. We will do our best to get rid of it right away. I am always on the lookout for it. I don't spend all day online, but I do come to the forums often, and I think the same is true of the other moderators. :) :) :)
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
4,181 Posts
I'm wondering if it's possible for new members, either spammers or legit, to be unable to post links in their posts until they've got maybe 5 posts up.
Not sure a Guantanamo Bay section would work as most first timers have a specific question in mind that won't get the exposure in the quarantine section.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol! you guys are making it sound badddd!!! 8)

It could just be the one post in a welcome area, before a new member can do anything anywhere.

So, its a quick hello, nice to meet you then move on.

It would hold all spam in one area and stop spammers taking over threads.

Only a suggestion.

:)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
I can see that spam might be reduced - but it would still be highly visible in the recent posts column even if it is confined to one area.

Also some members will come with questions such as "how to stop nipping" or "what food" etc. and they will only want an answer to their question, and I imagine there would be a lot of these questions in the wrong section that would be better in the diet or health section.

For spam we are working on some software improvements, so this hopefully wont be a big concern going forward.

Maybe for new members we could improve the "welcome email" or something to give them a guide, ask them to introduce themselves, upload photos etc?

Any thoughts from anyone else?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,717 Posts
Calum,
I have never seen the ratio of members to guests be so high as they have been over the last couple weeks. Is that part of the transition?

Right now there are 13 members logged in and 163 guests looking on.

Seems like an odd ratio. It used to be more like 2 to 1. This is 12 to 1.

Just curious.

RBD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Calum, there's been some talk in the past of compiling a list of threads on the typical new puppy questions. Perhaps these could be included in the welcome email. I'd be more than happy to sort through them and send you the links.

Here's a list to get started with. Am I missing anything?

Crate Training
Biting/Shark Attacks
Housebreaking
Resource guarding
Nutrition
Socialization
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
416 Posts
redbirddog said:
Calum,
I have never seen the ratio of members to guests be so high as they have been over the last couple weeks. Is that part of the transition?

Right now there are 13 members logged in and 163 guests looking on.

Seems like an odd ratio. It used to be more like 2 to 1. This is 12 to 1.

Just curious.

RBD
It shouldn't be - right now the forum should be almost exactly the same. Only changes have been relocating some of the advertisements and moving server. This could be a seasonal things, some people might be more busy with the holidays coming up etc.

einspänner said:
Calum, there's been some talk in the past of compiling a list of threads on the typical new puppy questions. Perhaps these could be included in the welcome email. I'd be more than happy to sort through them and send you the links.

Here's a list to get started with. Am I missing anything?

Crate Training
Biting/Shark Attacks
Housebreaking
Resource guarding
Nutrition
Socialization
If you could put something like this together that would be great - if any other members have any suggested threads then that would be good as well. Maybe a separate thread could be made to get some ideas for this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,617 Posts
Calum said:
einspänner said:
Calum, there's been some talk in the past of compiling a list of threads on the typical new puppy questions. Perhaps these could be included in the welcome email. I'd be more than happy to sort through them and send you the links.

Here's a list to get started with. Am I missing anything?

Crate Training
Biting/Shark Attacks
Housebreaking
Resource guarding
Nutrition
Socialization
If you could put something like this together that would be great - if any other members have any suggested threads then that would be good as well. Maybe a separate thread could be made to get some ideas for this?
I'll put it together tomorrow and post in on a new thread to get feedback from other members.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top