Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lovable and awesome female vizsla. My husband and I rescued her from a dog shelter, took her to the vet and we found out that she is not a mixed lab (like they told us at the shelter), she is actually a pure vizsla. The vet said that with some certainty after looking at her. Since then I have researched online and the vizsla pictures and videos look exactly like my dog except one thing. All the vizsla's online that I've seen have big floppy ears. My dog has shorter ears. They still droop down but not nearly as much as the other vizslas I've seen. Does this mean she may not be a pure bread after all? Does anyone else know anything about this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
I second that PP - please post a pic ... I love playing "Vizsla or NOT a Vizsla?" ;D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
this pic I just posted is my husband holding the dog when she was a puppy. She's 2 years old now. So what do you think? Also, how can I post more pics on this website?

·
Registered
324 Posts
You can attach pictures to a post by clicking on the Additiona Options... below the reply box. Additionally you can post pictures to the picture gallery.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ARG! It wouldn't accept my pics but if you have facebook you can look me up at Sandra Deyoung. My profile pic is a wedding pic. There is a photo album called "pics from my phone... more to come" and there are a couple pics of the doggy. After looking at some of the pics on this site I know that she is a vizsla, but look at her ears and let me know if you see what i mean. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have never seen a purebread Vizsla with short ears, they have always had big floppy ears. I have seen a Vizsla/lab cross, it was bigger framed, Vizslas are usually very lean, and it had short ears so defo need to see a photo.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! Thanks again Rick. I tried to post more pics in the general vizsla picture gallery today so hopefully they will appear shortly. Apparently it just takes a while for them to be accepted I think. So now that there are pics you guys can see... what do you think? Is she a pure bread?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Sandra,

She is very pretty, but the shape of her skull and snout along with the short ears tells me that there is something else along with any V blood that she has. I think that you will find that we all love red dogs and you will fit in just fine whether your girl is 100% V or not. Also, any pics from the side showing her standing would be helpful.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Her coat, eyes, nose and feet all say "Vizsla". I have no idea if it's possible to cross-breed a V with another breed and have all those indicators. In any event, if she behaves like a V you will forever be glad you rescued her.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the responses. There is a pic in the general vizsla gallery of her standing sorta from the side as a puppy

·
Registered
582 Posts
In addition to the coat, eyes, and nose, she has a lot of vizsla mannerisms ("smile," postures, facial expressions) and vizsla paws. They are such fun dogs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes! I agree! And did you see all the new pics I posted in the general vizslas gallery? Even more convincing. The only thing is those ears! They aren't like the other vizslas. Everything else is the same right down to her whine!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Yes, I did look at those pics. I agree with others that she isn't purebred because of the ears and some aspects of her build, but she definitely has vizsla in her.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I dont want to hijack this thread but I was told the same thing as sdeyoung1 at the rescue center. I picked up my Loopy Lou eight weeks ago and was told she was a LabX but ever since I have my reservations and think she has a lot more Viszla in her than Lab, in fact I barely see any Lab in her (though im no expert). The Vet comfirmed my thoughts as well.

What do you guys think?

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts