Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 7 month old Visla, Hannah gets confused daily as a dachshund mix. I am so sick of hearing it but i am starting to get concerned that she is not growing properly. We purchased he from a very popular V breeder that has a very good reputation.

Please look at the picture and let me know your thoughts or if anyone else has experienced this same issue.
I absolutely love this dog. She is so smart and just the perfect companion.

Maybe this is just a weird phase? Will her height catchup with her length?

thanks in advance for all your help.

Attachments

·
Registered
324 Posts
'Normal' is very subjective. Our Scarlet is just 7 months old, is 23½ inches at the shoulder and 58 pounds. I think she's pretty big based on measurements of other females I've seen on the forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear Rick,
You need to check what is behind the lines of your dog's pedigree. I don't really know, but it may be possible that a German dachshund, for example, got to an Hungarian V during the period of hostilities (aka WW2) and that this dog is a throwback (as well as a long back).
Dachshunds are quite long and, theoretically, it could be possible for that breed to be in both countries at once - if you get the picture - and avoid being caught out crossing a border.
Otherwise, I would say that this photo is a bit of a stretch!!

Just some thoughts.

Tanashka

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Rice8702,

It does seem like she has a rather long body/or short legs
Has she had a thorough vet examination? her legs are very defined/muscley
I think you should visit or call the breeder as well to discuss your little girl and maybe get some answers.

Your 3rd last line says vizsla though :eek:) and thats the most important thing

Hang in there, and keep us posted...

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't know what it costs but if it's important to you there is canine DNA testing. If it turned out that Hannah wasn't totally V I think the breeder would owe an explanation or refund!

Good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes, thanks Rick...i was considering doing the DNA tests and i did call my breeder last night. He did not really have any answers but just thought it was strange. He said that he had never seen a dog built like that.

tanashka - i am not sure what you meant about the photo being a stretch.

Thanks Chino777

·
Registered
299 Posts
I agree with Chino, her legs do not appear normal, almost as if there is a bit of dwarfism going on there. Your vet should be able to give you some insight on this, and your breeder should be very interested in learning what's going on.

No matter what her legs look like, she has a VERY sweet face and I am sure she has you wrapped around her little toes. Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you get to see the parents? I'd thing about asking the breeder if you could contact any of the people who got the rest of the litter. Or if he'd call them and give them your number. Just to find out if any of the other pups legs were growing as expected.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you everyone for all of your help. After some research i believe i have found out that she has dwarfism. It seems to me that her shoulder bones are exactly like the ones in the attache photo that i found of another V with this issue.

Here is what i found.

3. - 6. METAPHYSEAL CHONDRODYSPLASIAS
This is a group of conditions in which abnormalities of the metaphyses predominate, with essentially normal epiphyses, skull, and trunk. Immunologic and endocrine dysfunctions are associated with several of these disorders in humans. Severity of the observed abnormalities varies greatly in this group of disorders.
Lang and Biery classified the medial patellar luxation syndrome, seen primarily in small breed dogs, in this category, associating it with hypoplasia of the medial femoral condyle.(45) The condition is discussed in detail elsewhere in this text and will not be considered further here.
A diet-related disorder seen in large dogs and associated with metaphyseal dysplasia is the syndrome of retained endochondral cartilage.(75) The radiographic appearance is that of a triangular metaphyseal radiolucency, usually most obvious in the distal ulna. This condition is discussed in Chapter 41 and is thought to be related to abnormally rapid ossification of the cortical portion of the metaphysis associated with abnormal calcium:phosphorus ratios in the diet.
I have observed a Vizsla who at maturity has the outward conformation of a hypochondroplastic animal but who had large cystic lesions of the metaphyses during development. These extended into the adjacent diaphyseal region and were reminiscent of retained endochondral cartilages (Fig. 57-1), but they occurred to a similar degree in all of the long-bone metaphyses. The radiographic lesions almost certainly represent zones of abnormal classification subsequent to a chondrodysplasia. The affected dog is otherwise normal and has had no evidence of pain associated with these abnormalities, unlike the situation often observed with retained endochondral cartilages.

FIG. 57-1 Lateral radio raph of forelimb of a young Vizsla dog. Large, under mineralized areas are visible in the metaphyses of the long bones. Clinically, the dog has a rhizomelic dwarfism but is otherwise healthy.

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
Very interesting Rice....YouR V is still beautiful even if she is short!!

The only thing that I would say is that I would talk again with the breeder about this. I'm not sure about your contract, but my contract with my breeder stated that Hally was a pure bred Vizsla. She also came with a 2 year health guarentee.

Pure bred Vizsla's are expensive, so if Hannah is a bit of a mix, I'd ask for some/all money back. And if you had a health guarentee clause, I'd ask for some/all money back. Use the money to buy Hannah a fancy collar or something fun because she deserves's it I'm sure :) but don't let the breeder off the hook....

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Vespasia, thanks for your suggestion. That is a great idea about buying here something nice. I did speak with my breeder and they have offered to refund all of the money. You are correct...they are expensive dogs so i am thankful that they are doing the right thing about this.

Again, thanks everyone for your help,

·
Registered
188 Posts
Like your children you love them no matter what they grow up to look like......
She 's gorgeous and deserves a little treating (with the refunded money).. Enjoy her cause she's one extra special girl!! ;)
BB

·
Registered
188 Posts
ha ha
would pay to see that! ;)
I know what ya mean though like kids once they get to a certain age you crave another! ???
BB

·
Registered
582 Posts
Rice,

Did your vet say it's dwarfism for sure, or is that what it's looking like to you at this point based on what you've seen? I would definitely want it confirmed by the vet if not already, and find out if there are any health implications if it's confirmed.

Best, Sarah

·
Registered
15 Posts
Rice,

I just need to say that your attitude to this situation
is fantastic, and i hope you and Hannah have a great long happy life together.

Cheers

J

1 - 20 of 28 Posts