Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

my Vizsla 5.5 month male always brings something back into the house whenever we go on walks. A stick, a leaf, a napkin left outside…. Is this common?

it’s more of an annoyance than a problem because he always rips up sticks and just leaves it on the ground. Also he gets naughty and when we try and get the thing he has he runs away and hides under bed to avoid us getting it.

I want to stop him from bringing anything and everything back in, and would love tips for stopping him from running away and making me chase him.

·
Registered
257 Posts
He is still very young. They will put everything in their mouth to figure out what it is. That behavior has changed in ours as they got older.

Well ,until last week when our male came in from outside , jumped up on my wife lap and deposited a mouse on the arm of the chair. A gift!
We still get an occasional stick that they are very proud of brought in.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
Aly is a professional toothpick maker!! I've never sweated it. Never "chased" her because a vizsla would then know "the game"... and OHhhhhh... how they love the game!

Could I have prevented a lot of what the below pictures show? Probably. Each time she did it, she was never reprimanded. I just spoke to her with a different inflection in my voice, as I cleaned up. Also, she never ran away from me as I was cleaning up. I included her in the process. FYI: my vacuum was never put away... and was "petted" nearly as much as I pet the dog.

Now, at 14 months, Aly very rarely "makes toothpicks"... and more importantly, she's NEVER chewed and destroyed anything of value in the house.

To date, she still likes swiping a paper towel when I'm not looking. When she was younger, she would shred the paper towel. Now, she just jumps up on top of her cave (crate) and mouths it, knowing she really shouldn't have it (those eyes and facial expressions... PRICELESS!!).

As for sticks during our exercise walks? It's an integral part of "fun" for her!!! Would never discourage her from that.

For me, it was just an adorable phase of puppyhood. Once those phases pass, they never return.😢

Do you mean like this?

Dog Working animal Liver Wood Carnivore

... and this...

Dog Dog breed Carnivore Wood Working animal

... and this?

Dog Wood-burning stove Dog breed Carnivore Hearth

Reactions: Gabica

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks again! I always felt like it’s just a dog being a dog, but my GF was insistent it was a problem. Knowing this is normal and very common makes me feel better about my own pup. 👍🏼👍🏼

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
There is nothing wrong with your boy. What he is doing is normal on many levels.
His “job” genetically is to pick things up and bring them to you.
He’s also only 5.5 months old,and just like toddlers and small children he is “ cutting teeth”, and losing teeth, so he needs something to soothe his teeth and gums. Toddlers have teething rings, he has sticks.
If you don’t want the sticks in the house,use this as a prime training opportunity to start the retrieve to hand. Each time he goes in the house, have him give you the stick, and as soon as he is in the house, grab an indoor toy , present it to him and command “fetch”.
Finn has his indoor toys and outdoor toys. He still likes to try and sneak one past me either in, or out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My younger guy went through a phase of bringing...turtles into the house! Big ones, small ones, turtles inside the house that weren't noticed for days 😅 He didn't eat or injure them, just carried them around. I never knew we had so many turtles in the backyard. He got a little older, the weather turned colder, and I've not discovered a turtle for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts