Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the title, but i couldnt resist.

I was just wondering how often a puppy should actually do a poo. Ours seems to go on average 8-9 a day, which seems a lot. I am used to dogs going 2 or 3, but this seems crazy.

They are fully formed and healthy for the most part, and not small. We think we've noticed a bit of a difference if we've introduced her to a new person, but that might just be nerves. Just wondering why she cant do 1 or 2 really big ones? (same actually goes for wees, goes a lot, but never particularly big, except after the night time - am not talking about "excited wees").

·
Registered
25 Posts
The obvious question is: do you weigh their food? Assuming you do, I don't think there's anything unusual about the frequency you described.

Every book and blog I read prior to getting Peanut said the same thing: their bladders are small, their habits are not yet fully formed at this age.

Yesterday by 4.5- month pup had three rather substantial poos straight after breakfast. Then one around lunchtime, but smaller. Usually he would have one early in the morning just after waking up, or around 3am when out for a wee, but for the first time ever we went through the night without going out. So the three included one that was probably overdue.

Otherwise, it's about creating the right habits. Plus patience.

·
Administrator
9,377 Posts
A puppy’s digestive tract is still developing. So naturally food goes through it faster. Same thing with the bladder.

Reactions: DrogoNevets

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
They gotta' go, when they gotta' go.
Finn could seemingly "hold it forever" as a puppy, and still can. I never made him do that, he got plenty of opportunities. He just has a cast iron gut, I guess. Others I have had were more often. It just is, what it is.
As she gets older, and all of her "systems" develop, things will probably change. If she's not pooping in the house right now, consider yourself fortunate and let her dictate the pace and timing. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts