Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
Lucy, 2-year-old Vizsla
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've taken many deep Google dives trying to figure out how I can get my Vizsla to the west coast on a plane without throwing her under the plane (I can't imagine anyone would do this unless they absolutely had to), and I've come up with an idea I think government officials like Pete Buttigieg should be seriously considering. To me the idea has no or minimal holes but I'm sure, since I've never met an unintelligent Vizsla owner, you guys will be able to poke some where there needs work. The idea has been born out of the assumption that most if not all airlines require either the dog to be a "service dog" or small enough to fit in a crate - which, unless it's a puppy, eliminates virtually every Vizsla owner anywhere in the world.

So here it is...

Every airline should hire/acquire a "dog approver" - they would be government issued, so it wouldn't cost anything for the airline - whose sole job it is to take appointments from owners who want to fly alongside their medium-sized/larger dog in the cabin. The position would be in an office in every major city, and you'd visit them with your dog, they'd spend an hour or so observing its behavior, and if they are comfortable saying that the dog is well or reasonably behaved and isn't a danger to anyone, they give you a stamp, some kind of approval that when you book a flight you will be able to prove your dog was approved and have no issues bringing them on the plane.

Every airline would designate the last 5 rows or so to accommodate passengers with dogs. If a flight doesn't have enough passengers/dogs to fill the 5 rows, a non-dog passenger can book a seat as long as they check a box that says something like, "I'm okay being near crate-less dogs."

Fact: There are currently 80 to 100 million dog owners in the US. Fixing this problem is long overdue.

If I can polish this enough I will write up a formal proposal and, I don't know, take it to congress or something. Let me know what you think.

· Registered
26 Posts
I like the idea and agree with you that I wish there was a better solution. A few things that I imagine would cause some pushback on this plan are:

• behavior of the dog may be different in the observation building compared to 30,000 feet in the air.
  • if there are multiple non service, uncrated dogs on the plane I could see scenarios where either out of desire to play or nervousness/reactivity some of the dogs become less controlable.
  • there is generally a bathroom in the back of the plane. If a passenger who has a fear of dogs or who barely even tolerates service dogs on board I imagine this could cause problems.
  • how could the person giving the stamp of approval confirm that the dog could hold its bladder or bowel movements for the duration of a cross country flight based on 1 hour of observation.
  • many uncontrollable variables to multiple uncrated non service dogs put near each other in a confined space.

As frustrating as a lack of solutions to this problem is, I understand why it’s so difficult to fly with them. Hears to hoping someone like you can solve this dilemma! Love the idea! Keep at it! :)

· Registered
Lucy, 2-year-old Vizsla
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I like the idea and agree with you that I wish there was a better solution. A few things that I imagine would cause some pushback on this plan are:

• behavior of the dog may be different in the observation building compared to 30,000 feet in the air.
  • if there are multiple non service, uncrated dogs on the plane I could see scenarios where either out of desire to play or nervousness/reactivity some of the dogs become less controlable.
  • there is generally a bathroom in the back of the plane. If a passenger who has a fear of dogs or who barely even tolerates service dogs on board I imagine this could cause problems.
  • how could the person giving the stamp of approval confirm that the dog could hold its bladder or bowel movements for the duration of a cross country flight based on 1 hour of observation.
  • many uncontrollable variables to multiple uncrated non service dogs put near each other in a confined space.

As frustrating as a lack of solutions to this problem is, I understand why it’s so difficult to fly with them. Hears to hoping someone like you can solve this dilemma! Love the idea! Keep at it! :)
Some very valid concerns! I will get back to work to address them. Nothing will be perfect, but hopefully can eliminate some of these

· Registered
1,362 Posts
wondering (more from a business perspective) whether there could be airlines / routes with designated airplane place for dog travel and those would be fitted to have the dogs crated next to the owner / person they are traveling with who is completely in charge then for to care for the dog. the fitting idea comes from visiting Fedex airplanes which are alterations of normal airplanes too.
the dogs could be required to be put in diapers, just in case.

· Administrator
9,534 Posts
Hire a private plane and pilot.
wondering (more from a business perspective) whether there could be airlines / routes with designated airplane place for dog travel and those would be fitted to have the dogs crated next to the owner / person they are traveling with who is completely in charge then for to care for the dog. the fitting idea comes from visiting Fedex airplanes which are alterations of normal airplanes too.
the dogs could be required to be put in diapers, just in case.

Reactions: Gabica

· Registered
1,362 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts