Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi been reading all the great posts for a little while. Everything has been very helpful and put me at ease hearing many have had similar experiences and challenges with there V. Cedar my V is now approaching 6 1/2 months. She has been over all a smart fast learner. I did the beginner puppy training and she is now in the intermediate training group. Mostly i have been challenged with walking her on leash, which i want her to do well at as i plan to have her as my running partner so don’t want her pulling. did a private training yesterday and think we found the right harness for her which seems to be much better. i’ve read most have this challenge with there V’s too. i take her to park across street from my place and let her go on a 100 foot recall leash. this works great and she does well coming to me when i call her as long as she is looking at me! Also, she jumps up on people because she is so excited to see them. I’m trying to work on this too. Potty training has beenvery stressful which i didn’t think would be so hard because i though V’s are easy to potty train. At 6 months she will just pee on carpet sometimes without ringing the potty bell. going to get her checked for UTI. will keep going with the obedience training and want to train her for bird hunting ( will need lots of help as i’m new to this!) here are some pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
Welcome! She's beautiful!

I don't remember how long it took now, but potty training definitely took longer than I expected. It's one of those things that depends on the owner and the dog and not something, I think, you can apply to the breed as a whole.

Loose leash walking can also take a bit of time and lot of consistency. I used martingale or slip leads and it worked well for my dog, so that's what I tend to recommend, but people get there with different methods. I run with my dog now and I actually wish I had been more successful at encouraging her to pull when wearing a harness (at least when running up hills, lol). When she has to be on a leash for runs, I use a canicross (hip belt, bungee line, harness) set up with her running in front of me and she's not super confident about that.

I'm sure if you keep at it you'll end up with a dream of a dog!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! She's beautiful!

I don't remember how long it took now, but potty training definitely took longer than I expected. It's one of those things that depends on the owner and the dog and not something, I think, you can apply to the breed as a whole.

Loose leash walking can also take a bit of time and lot of consistency. I used martingale or slip leads and it worked well for my dog, so that's what I tend to recommend, but people get there with different methods. I run with my dog now and I actually wish I had been more successful at encouraging her to pull when wearing a harness (at least when running up hills, lol). When she has to be on a leash for runs, I use a canicross (hip belt, bungee line, harness) set up with her running in front of me and she's not super confident about that.

I'm sure if you keep at it you'll end up with a dream of a dog!
thanks so much! yes i feel like we have made some progress just switching to the Deluxe Easy Walk Harness. However i have another harness that is the 3 in 1 same brand but it hooks in front or on top. i was planning to hook her on top when i take her running. Yes a little pull is nice when running up hill! 😂 i have taken her a few times just 3 miles and i think i had my quickest run! little help from her lol.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
Cedar! A gorgeous lil girl!!

The potty training thing, I cannot specifically identify with. Aly hasn't made a mistake since she was less than 10 weeks old. Yeah, definitely have her checked for a UTI (quite inexpensive). If that comes back negative, more history of the problem would be beneficial.

You mentioned you've been reading this forum for a little while. Did you catch, V's can have a tendency of "forgetting everything they ever learned" at around 8 months? They don't really forget. It's just a point in their maturity when they begin developing their own mind. For Aly, this phase lasted a month or two. Gleefully go back to basics... repetition and consistency!

You mentioned you've taken Cedar for 3 mile runs a few times. I would advise against doing that. ESPECIALLY if on concrete or blacktop. At 6 months old, Cedar's growth plates are very vulnerable to harm. Conventional thinking is to wait until they are a year old. Your patience now is an investment in future health. ;-)

·
Registered
467 Posts
hi been reading all the great posts for a little while. Everything has been very helpful and put me at ease hearing many have had similar experiences and challenges with there V. Cedar my V is now approaching 6 1/2 months. She has been over all a smart fast learner. I did the beginner puppy training and she is now in the intermediate training group. Mostly i have been challenged with walking her on leash, which i want her to do well at as i plan to have her as my running partner so don’t want her pulling. did a private training yesterday and think we found the right harness for her which seems to be much better. i’ve read most have this challenge with there V’s too. i take her to park across street from my place and let her go on a 100 foot recall leash. this works great and she does well coming to me when i call her as long as she is looking at me! Also, she jumps up on people because she is so excited to see them. I’m trying to work on this too. Potty training has beenvery stressful which i didn’t think would be so hard because i though V’s are easy to potty train. At 6 months she will just pee on carpet sometimes without ringing the potty bell. going to get her checked for UTI. will keep going with the obedience training and want to train her for bird hunting ( will need lots of help as i’m new to this!) here are some pics!
My Wilson didn’t train until 11 month! My ike is not quite six months and has been trained since 3 months. Depends on the pup

1 - 6 of 6 Posts