Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Up until now, my Willie Boy has been mostly interested iin hunting down those pesky chipmunks and squirrels. He also hunts bumblebees. Over the weekend, though, he has exhibited an increased interest in all the birds that flit around and land momentarily in HIS yard. Any kind of bird fascinates him, and he holds a point just like a statue.

Yesterday I let him out after his nap. He was still kind of sleepy. There, just outside the door, sitting on the edge of a flower pot, was a baby robin, just fledged from the nest. Willie was so surprised! He froze. Mom and Pop Robin started to dive bomb. I said "Willie, time to come back in the house." He looked so puzzled, but complied with my order. A tragedy in the robin world was averted. The parents managed to coax the baby out beyond the fence. Wonder why he didn't pounce?!

·
Registered
842 Posts
Lucky you! Copper would have feathers all over the place. He can find them but let's just say his point and whoa needs allot more work. :)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, Willie does have what they call a "staunch point" but still, he would never make a very good hunter. He is afraid of loud noises. When the 4th of July rolls around and the neighbors start shooting off their fireworks, Willie wants nothing to do with it!
("Let me in the house, quick!") So I'm pretty sure he would be gun shy.

Maybe someone took him out hunting and just started shooting over his head with no desensitization, etc. I have heard that a good gun dog takes a lot of training, and you can ruin them if you don't know what you're doing. It's a non-issue for me, of course. When the fireworks begin, I just open the door and let him in the house! But that's the thing about adopting a shelter dog. The past is always a mystery. Willie no longer needs to worry about having a gun fired above his head, anyhow... ;)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts