Hungarian Vizsla Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a (just turned) 1 year old viz x lab male. I realise (and honestly feel silly asking as a canine hydrotherapist but you guys are way more experienced in vizslas than I) but my boy seems to be quite “skinny” - a term I use loosely now, but still.

I know they’re all different in development but I see other v’s or labs at 6-12 months and they’re much more developed muscularly than him. And, this is with me adding eggs and pumpkin and fillers to his diet on top of a nutritionist recommended kibble.

He has a good one hour a day off lead run around plus brain games exercise and is fed plenty. Been swimming him once per week at the pool too. Is it a hormone thing?
I’ll attach a picture, he’s very healthy, just the big muscle groups seen ordinarily in the two breeds seem to be lacking (thinking bis/tris hams/quads) and I wondered if this is common with juveniles?

He’s always been on the skinny side as a growing pup, but I just wondered if I’m doing or not doing anything wrong to help him develop as he should muscularly, or if it’s just going to be his build generally (which I’m fine with!). He’s never going to be a tank, but I don’t want his joints under-supported by soft tissue if I’m missing a trick.

This is him at 11 months. Hard to see but he’s lacking pectorals too like most v’s seem to have from younger ages. Any advice welcome.

P.S he’s 30kg weighed this week so not a small boy
Dog Sky Plant Carnivore Tree

·
Registered
288 Posts
Good! (wait till 2 years for full growth/if at all)

He still looks like a puppy to me maybe slow maturing? His weight looks good. not skinny. As he gets older he will fill out more. Our 2 run 6 plus miles a day and they look like body builders.

With my little experience I would not worry. Next vet trip ask.

·
Registered
Ellie
510 Posts
He's still young and developing. That being said he looks healthy. Perhaps the lab torso/chest thickness on his body is just simply hiding the muscle tone that you typically see on V's due to their narrow body with leg group muscle looking like they are bolted onto the sides.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks both - He is healthy, and 30kg! I just see some pics of V’s on here like you said looking like little body builders from early on. Hopefully he’ll start to fill out rather than just keep getting longer/taller which he seems to be at the minute!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yea, my V was pretty skinny around a year still. He's filled out a lot in the last 6 months, but still has some weight to gain. It might also be that your guy has thicker/longer fur. My other dog is not as lean as my V, but very muscular, but it's not as obvious just to look at him because his fur makes him look a little softer...You can tell he's fit from his general shape but he's not got that cut and bronzed appearance that my V does😅

1 - 7 of 7 Posts